KTandTommy

Packet 3 and then some...

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess I'm just slightly confused between the main "what happens after NOA2" thread, and a few other threads, and the Montreal PDF doc (http://photos.state.gov/libraries/canada/303578/montreal/packet3-k1-mtl.pdf)

1 - I've noticed that some people's package has been logged in Montreal really quickly after it was sent off by the NVC... should I start calling immediately, or give it the week that's suggested in the main thread? (Really, I mostly want to know if I'm going to piss anybody off if I call too soon, and they'll put some sort of note on the file... LOL, I'm pretty sure that's a negative and I'm just being paranoid... but better safe than sorry, right?)

2 - So then, I know I have to wait for packet 3 to be noted as sent out before I send the package into them. Some threads say to send all the forms, and others say to just send certain things (like the photocopy of the passport page and the photos)... which is the correct way to do it, and will there be any problems if I just send everything in, and then bring additional copies to the interview?

3 - This is a really dumb series of questions, but the website says "complete and print online" : 1-I can't actually EMAIL these in, right? I just have to be hooked up to a printer to have hard copies? 2-Is there a way to save the documents after they're completed, just so that I have a record? Or is the best way to just scan the copies after I've printed them?

Sorry, these are probably REALLY stupid questions, I just want to make sure I do everything right after waiting all this time!

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't worry about asking 'stupid' questions -- chances are there are many other people who have the same question and maybe haven't dared ask. For example I am wondering a lot of the same things about MY packet 3 (although through Vancouver). Hopefully someone helps you out :)

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Timeline

1 - I've noticed that some people's package has been logged in Montreal really quickly after it was sent off by the NVC... should I start calling immediately, or give it the week that's suggested in the main thread? (Really, I mostly want to know if I'm going to piss anybody off if I call too soon, and they'll put some sort of note on the file... LOL, I'm pretty sure that's a negative and I'm just being paranoid... but better safe than sorry, right?) I started calling about 3 business days afterwards. Not going to lie, I was wanting to know too! No one got mad and I don't think they black listed me for me! :) [/b]

2 - So then, I know I have to wait for packet 3 to be noted as sent out before I send the package into them. Some threads say to send all the forms, and others say to just send certain things (like the photocopy of the passport page and the photos)... which is the correct way to do it, and will there be any problems if I just send everything in, and then bring additional copies to the interview? If you go to the Montreal Embassy Website, search K1 Packet 3, it will give you a 2 page PDF file. The first page is what is needed as far as forms are concerned. The 2nd page is things you need to bring to interview. The 2nd page just needs to be signed, dated and checked off showing that you have gotten all the things gathered. The first page list with all the forms, need to be printed out (the forms) and mailed in with the checklist (page 2) as Package 3. Do not worry about sending pictures/evidence etc.

3 - This is a really dumb series of questions, but the website says "complete and print online" : 1-I can't actually EMAIL these in, right? I just have to be hooked up to a printer to have hard copies? 2-Is there a way to save the documents after they're completed, just so that I have a record? Or is the best way to just scan the copies after I've printed them? You CANNOT email to Montreal. It'd do no good. I'd just print off 2 copies of every form. Make sure they are all signed, dated and complete.

Sorry, these are probably REALLY stupid questions, I just want to make sure I do everything right after waiting all this time!

No stupid questions here! Just hang on because once you send package 3, thats the WORST wait of the entire process. Thats where I am right now. UGH! We sent it August 27th and as of 8:30AM this morning, they still did not have it logged. Makes me nervous because we just sent it regular mail. Which I'm sure is slower than the DHL/Loomis Courier. Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to message me directly!

K-1 VISA ADVENTURE:
04-01-2012: Engaged in Detroit, Michigan at Comerica Park!
USCIS
05-02-2012: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
05-14-2012: Received Physical NOA1
08-09-2012: Received Physical NOA2
Montreal Embassy
08-21-2012: Package 3
09-06-2012: Package 4
11-12-2012: Medical in Toronto, Ontario (Approved-Went Well! Tip: Make sure you have ALL of your vaccinations up to date when you go to your medical exam! It CAN delay things.
11-19-2012: Interview in Montreal (APPROVED!!)
11-21-2012: Received Passport and Visa Package Back From Montreal (DHL/LOOMIS OPENED OUR SEALED ENVELOPE! SENT BACK TO MONTREAL ON 11-23-2012 TO BE RESEALED)
12-04-2012: Recevied resealed Visa package from Montreal
12-23-2012: POE: Port Huron, Michigan (Everything Went Great!)
02-16-2013: Wedding Date! We're MARRIED!

AOS

06-18-2013: Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

06-20-2013: USPS Estimating Package Should Arrive in Chicago

06-24-2013: Received NOA Text and Emails for All Applications

06-27-2013: Received Physical NOAs for AOS, EAD and AP

07-16-2013: Biometrics Appointment

07-29-2013: I-485 Ready for Interview to Be Scheduled!!! YAY!!!! (No EXTREMELY Long Wait!)

08-02-2013: Received Mail with Interview Date!

09-03-2013: Interview in Detroit, Michigan (APPROVED!)

09-04-2013: EAD/AP Approved! (Even though it no longer matters because GC was approved the day before)

09-09-2013: Green Card mailed out via USPS 2-Day Air

09-11-2013: Received 2 Year Conditional Green Card in the Mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For package 3 you send the forms, a photocopy of the biographic info page of your passport, and two american-style passport photos (2"x2"). If you are not a citizen of Canada and only a permanent resident you also must send evidence of your residency. Print off two copies of each form as Montreal might request copies of them at the interview, plus it's helpful to have a record of everything. You cannot e-mail the forms to Montreal; they must be mailed. DoS will not flag you for calling them repeatedly; feel free to call every day.

Timeline

One more question... On the Montreal Packet 3 instructions, one of the items says:

Confirmation receipt regarding Form DS-160 - one copy, available online at

https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/– MUST PRINT AND SEND COPY CONFIRMATION

But that is a dead link, and I'm not really sure what they need from there? Is DS-160 a searchable form that I can just pull off the website, and then some sort of receipt comes from it?

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

Timeline

And one more dumb question...

I go by Katie, but my actual given name is not Katie... I've used my given name on all the paperwork, and I've never used "Katie" on anything official, though it's what everyone calls me... should I list it in "other first and middle names used" or will it just get confusing? I didn't list it on the G325A that I submitted with the I-129F package (though our relationship evidence has cards written to me as Katie - and him as Thomas or Tom, even though that's his middle name, officially).

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

Use whatever name is on your passport.

The URL has a dash at the end, just delete it.

https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Timeline

Use whatever name is on your passport.

The URL has a dash at the end, just delete it.

https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/

Oh, how silly of me. Thanks!! :)

I used my passport name as my first name, I was just wondering if I should put "Katie" in any of the boxes that say "Other Names Used or Aliases" ... but since I've never used it officially, I didn't know if I should.

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.