doodlebug

cell phone question

32 posts in this topic

I have t-mobile quad band which allows me to receive and make calls anywhere in the world. BUT I had to first call t-mobile to activate international roaming otherwise my ohone would not work. Using the phone this way was $3 a minute.

another option is ifyour phone has a sim card. you can temporarily replace your sim card with a local sim card and make cals using the loacl phone system. Of course your mobile phone must be unlocked for the new sim card to work.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

If anyone is looking for a reliable calling card try www.stsprepaid.com , they have a large variety and I have seen Egypt as low as 6.9cents per min. Try to get a card that has no connection fee and per minute billing.

another option is ifyour phone has a sim card. you can temporarily replace your sim card with a local sim card and make cals using the loacl phone system. Of course your mobile phone must be unlocked for the new sim card to work.

:thumbs: #1 choice for me!

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Timeline
I have t-mobile quad band which allows me to receive and make calls anywhere in the world. BUT I had to first call t-mobile to activate international roaming otherwise my ohone would not work. Using the phone this way was $3 a minute.

Yep, that's what I had done while in Egypt . . . but with an old phone that I was no longer using . . . just in case. But a co-worker (has the same model of samsung that I do) did it with the one he currently uses and has no problem.

I have t-mobile too and it is expensive to get/make those calls . . . but it a pinch it is fine. Of course, I do a log of txt msgs!!

Ok this was a stupid post. lol. I just remembered that someone here told me about pingo.com so I just used it. It's a local number so you don't need to activate anything.

I think I'll have to call cingular before I go to Egypt though.

Thanks. :D

Sure, you can do that . . .just be aware that you probably will get dinged big time for roaming fees . . .long way to roam from home!!

I got a sim card in egypt for one of my old phones . . . so i actually have an egyptian number but i think it might be expiring soon since no one has used it since March, LOL!!!

Actually PINGO has a local Egyptian number that I would call, so it wouldn't be bad I don't think. Just local minutes, but then I could be wrong. I usually am. :lol:

Does anyone know...when a pingo call says "this person is unavailable" does that mean it was a busy signal or does it mean that the phone is out of order? :help:

Cell phone reception in Egypt sucks. Toss in that today is feast there and EVERYONE is on their phones you most likely can't get through. We were going through this nonsense last night and I know tonight will be impossible.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Does anyone know...when a pingo call says "this person is unavailable" does that mean it was a busy signal or does it mean that the phone is out of order?

When I was using PINGO and got this recording, sometimes Khalld was just in an area that was bad and the call could not get to him, or the call actually didn't go through. PINGO really was my favorite means of calling him while he was still in Egypt. :)

try www.ppoutlet.com they have fantastic deals and soooooooooo many cards with no connection fees...

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
try www.ppoutlet.com they have fantastic deals and soooooooooo many cards with no connection fees...

Ya. I am using ppoutlet Smart Phone Card

https://www.ppoutlet.com/prepaid/

and so far I like it. They actually charge you what they advertise.

Ok so I have a phone that is able to get all international bands...whatever that means. lol

I want to make a call to Egypt but I have no clue how. Do I have to call cingular first to turn on the international do-hicky thing or can I just make the call?

make sure you have a plan to call egypt on your cell..

other wise the bill can be something ugly.

I called pakistan on my phone the fking call cost me $25.00 per min . thats not a made up figure either! :angry:

I was not happy..

I also use ppoutlet.

Have been for nearly 2 years now. excellent company..

shon.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have the sony ericson 600i which has all the bands you can get. Where would I get a local SIM card?

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have the sony ericson 600i which has all the bands you can get. Where would I get a local SIM card?

In country....

YMMV

Timeline

In country....

gee thanks i never would have thought of that.

i meant where in Cairo but nevermind.

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Cingular's "WorldConnect" rate to Egypt is 38 cents/minute to a landline, and 39 cents/minute to a cell phone. World Connect is $3.99/month. I use my cell to call Sian in the UK all the time. 1) It's more convenient 2) I hate entering numbers and more numbers 3) Did I mention it's convenient?

Of course, calling the UK is only 6 cents/minute, too....

Still, I would get WorldConnect on your phone. Then if you *have* to call, you can. For the record, the "standard" rate to the UK - not using WorldConnect - is $1.50/minute. The "standard" rate to Egypt is $2.69/minute. I would DEFINITELY get WorldConnect on your phone.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Does your phone have a sin card inside that is removeable? If so then you can buy a sim card when you traveling and insert it in where your card goes. BUT the new new sim card will not work if your phone is locked. You can get information about unocking the phone from different websites online if it is locked.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

In country....

gee thanks i never would have thought of that.

i meant where in Cairo but nevermind.

I don't know what cairo is like but wherever I have travelled they are simply available everywhere. Kiosks, street vendors, convienience store, internet cafes, cell telephone vendors... just about everywhere. There is the initial sim card to purchase and then yo buy refillable minutes....

YMMV

Timeline

Does your phone have a sin card inside that is removeable? If so then you can buy a sim card when you traveling and insert it in where your card goes. BUT the new new sim card will not work if your phone is locked. You can get information about unocking the phone from different websites online if it is locked.

When I bought it on ebay it was listed as being unlocked. Don't know if it's now locked or not but I'll check it out, thanks.

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.