ScouseYank

2 part question

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys

first question is, when i arrive at my POE, they stamp a Temp GC into my passport i think?

does this allow me to start working right away or must i file for it?

Second one is, my visa was issued on the 16th of Aug 2012, and in my passport is says IV Expires jan 3rd 2013

do i have to file anything before this date?

thanks

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Hi guys

first question is, when i arrive at my POE, they stamp a Temp GC into my passport i think?

Second one is, my visa was issued on the 16th of Aug 2012, and in my passport is says IV Expires jan 3rd 2013

thanks

1/The visa which will be placed on your passport IS your greencard. It is valid for one year, so that will give you ample time to receive your actual card in the mail. Your residence is effective the moment the visa is endorsed, at the POE, i.e. when you arrive in the US. With that visa on your passport you can apply for SSN, get a DL and work, the moment you walk out the airport.

2/Your visa has an expiraton date of 1/3/13. You must enter the US on/before that date.

Good luck!

Edited by Gegel

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hi guys

thanks

You need your social security card to start working, the stamp in your passport is evidence that you're been approved and you're a resident. It expires in January because your card will come in the mail before that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes, they will stamp the visa page in your passport and that acts as temp greencard for a year; your physical greencard will arrive to the US address you specified within a few weeks.

You can technically start working right away- in practise, most employers will want your SSN, which takes about two weeks to get (should arrive to your US address if you ticked the relevant box on your visa paperwork, if not, go to your local SS office 2 weeks after arrival and they can probably give it to you).

Nothing to file- you must use your visa- ie immigrate to the USA- before the expiry date.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

You must travel to the US before Jan 3rd 2013. When you arrive they will stamp your visa and it will be a temporary green card valid for one year from when you enter. You should receive the real green card before that year is up :-)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

1/The visa which will be placed on your passport IS your greencard. It is valid for one year, so that will give you ample time to receive your actual card in the mail. Your residence is effective the moment the visa is endorsed, at the POE, i.e. when you arrive in the US. With that visa on your passport you can apply for SSN, get a DL and work, the moment you walk out the airport.

2/Your visa has an expiraton date of 1/3/13. You must enter the US on/before that date.

Good luck!

No the visa is not the temporary green card. The endorsement of the visa serves as a temporary green card.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

No the visa is not the temporary green card. The endorsement of the visa serves as a temporary green card.

Same difference. LOL. The visa becomes the temporary greencard once it is endorsed upon arrival.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Same difference. LOL. The visa becomes the temporary greencard once it is endorsed upon arrival.

Yes, that's a correct description. The earlier one was not.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.