JODi * DOUG

Major Money Order Question!!

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I have my money order, but there is no where saying for me to sign it. My family telling no i do not sign it that the person cashing it has to sign it and then i call USCIS and they tell me sign it next to where it says print name.

Now i know that i should go by what USCIS says but sometimes Ive called for information and got different responses. Can someone please help me on what i should do...should i sign the money order even though there is no place specifically for me to sign or do i just print my name and no signature.

BTW- My money order is from chase bank..i don't know if that makes a difference.

Thank you soo muchh

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

No. The person to whom the M.O. is made out signs the back of it. In this case the USCIS will put a stamp on the back.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

I don't use money orders often, but when I have, I always signed it just as I would a check. Normally, it is required to sign it and there is line of something. Checks have a line to sign, and even mine don't have anything written next to it like 'Signature'. I don't know what kind of conflicting information you are getting from USCIS. I don't want to suggest something that might mislead you, but I have never heard of anything telling me I shouldn't sign a money order. I used a check in this case. Sorry.

No. The person to whom the M.O. is made out signs the back of it. In this case the USCIS will put a stamp on the back.

You've never signed the front of a money order like you would a check?

Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't use money orders often, but when I have, I always signed it just as I would a check. Normally, it is required to sign it and there is line of something. Checks have a line to sign, and even mine don't have anything written next to it like 'Signature'. I don't know what kind of conflicting information you are getting from USCIS. I don't want to suggest something that might mislead you, but I have never heard of anything telling me I shouldn't sign a money order. I used a check in this case. Sorry.

If there is a place on the front, then yes like a check, but not the back.

Check out this link

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081110172117AAGxgYV

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

On a money order it should say purchaser. Mosy have room for address and the purchaser name. Look at it this way. On a money order you ae fillling out the first (just like a check) and the person to whom the money order is from will endorse the back. But you must sign yes. other wife how will they know its your money order?

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Im so confusedd lol... On my money order it says my name my address everything printed nd the the name nd address of the place... No where wut so ever does it say put my signature my friend said she uses money orders all the time and never signs them only the receiver signs them to cash... I really dont want to make a mistake and have it sent back to me

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just a question... Why didn't you just send a personal check?

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

If there is a place on the front, then yes like a check, but not the back.

Check out this link

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081110172117AAGxgYV

Ah yeah, I would never sign the back unless it was for me.

Im so confusedd lol... On my money order it says my name my address everything printed nd the the name nd address of the place... No where wut so ever does it say put my signature my friend said she uses money orders all the time and never signs them only the receiver signs them to cash... I really dont want to make a mistake and have it sent back to me

Yeah, I am confused too. You have a personalized money order from Chase. I have only received MoneyGram I think or something of the sort. It was nothing more than a note anyone could use if it was in the wrong hands so I don't know. :wacko:

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Timeline

I use moneyorders every month. Mine are Moneygram but I have had Chase, and others like the store I used this morning. I just pulled out mine I filled in Pay to the order ofL US Department of Homeland Security,

Than it has Purchaser: thats me, Address: That is me. A money order is basically a check.

Now you sure your is a Chase Money Order and not a Cashiers check? There is a difference. Did you fill in the information or did they do that electronically? Let me ask you how will they know its from you if your name is no where on it?

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

Seeing that you are real confusing and stressing why not go back to back tomorrow (Chase is open saturdays) and just ask them right there to be sure.

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

I use moneyorders every month. Mine are Moneygram but I have had Chase, and others like the store I used this morning. I just pulled out mine I filled in Pay to the order ofL US Department of Homeland Security,

Than it has Purchaser: thats me, Address: That is me. A money order is basically a check.

Now you sure your is a Chase Money Order and not a Cashiers check? There is a difference. Did you fill in the information or did they do that electronically? Let me ask you how will they know its from you if your name is no where on it?

Thank you for checking yours....i believe mine is a money order my dad has it at the moment he had piked it up for me wit my debit and he told me that it says for me to write my name and address, then write the receivers name and addres...no signature line is on it at all, so being there is no line for me to personally sign do i need to sign near my name just in case or leave it without it.

Being you've used chase did you have any problems when you did not put your personal signature and just the regular information that is asked

?

Have you ever signed a money order on the front even when it is not required on the money order to sign?

Timeline

I've been emailing back and forth with chase bank customer service and whoever i was speaking with has told me that i do not need to sign it only the receiver needs to sign it to cash it....i just need to print my name where it asks me to along with my address and then put the receivers name and address...i guess this what i will be doing then if my bank says the money order does not to be signed...sound good?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.