VeeNDee

Getting the runaround on paperwork (Warning: Rant Ahead)

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yesterday was crazy - I spent half the day on the phone and the other half driving around town like a lunatic with my head cut off. I was supposed to get 3 things done - request a compliance letter for my car, get the police certificate and get my TDaP vaccination. In the end only one out of the three got accomplished.

First thing I decide to do is get the compliance letter for importing my Toyota. Seems simple right? Call and request one. Not so much...

Person A) I call my local Toyota dealer and get stuck with the receptionist who has no idea what I'm asking for. Time to go on hold.

Person B) I'm transferred to a man who tells me in gruff tones "We don't do those - you have to call Toyota Canada" and gives me their website and hangs up. I knew I'd probably have to phone headquarters but I was hoping it could be done locally to save on time etc.

Person C) I call Toyota Canada and after punching buttons get a person. She takes down all my information, then tells me I hit the wrong buttons and my request has nothing to do with traveling with my car (it seemed like the best option...) and that Toyota Canada had to deal with that request (Uhh...I called Toyota Canada on the number from the Toyota Canada website!) but she says 'No problem I'll transfer you" so.... I wait on hold.

Person D) Next lady picks up. She takes down all my information again (aka I have to spell out my name, email, address, phone, vehicle VIN# etc) and then proceeds to tell me that since I don't have a lease with Toyota Canada (aka I have paid off my car) I've called the wrong number and I need to talk to regular Toyota Canada. AGH! But she also says 'Don't worry, I'll transfer you".... back on hold.

Person E) The third lady picks up the phone. And take a wild guess what she does. Yep. Re-records ALL my information. A few minutes later after writing this info all down, she tells me, "Sorry we refuse to issue compliance letters now." I'm like.. 'bwuhhhhhhhhhhhhh uhh what now" and she tells me I need to go to the nhtsa.gov site and she reads me off several paragraphs of text-ese on a few sub pages saying what to do when your manufacturer refuses to issue you a compliance letter and gives me a list of approved importers. I ask in confusion "But I know people who got a compliance letter" and she replies "Yeah well we decided that wasn't our job to issue those letters and not what our business is involved in" and basically hangs up.

Person F) So I'm staring at this long text-ese section on the nhtsa website and find the list of improved importers. I call the first one in Blaine WA since it's closest - I give them all my information, car make/model etc, only to be told "We only import heavy duty trucks" and hung up on.

Person G) I call another importer who puts me on hold to talk to the relevant person.

Person H) This lady takes down all my information, then starts listing off the fees. $500 for her, $100 for customs broker, + duties at which point I break in and say 'Uhhh but I'm allowed to import my car duty-free due to my visa!" This leads to a 10 minute conversation about visas, fees and importation. Long story short if I have two stickers in my car I don't need her, and if I only have one sticker in my car I do need her, and if I don't have any stickers in my car I'm screwed.

EPA1 sticker - if this is in the engine compartment somewhere she can help me

DOT "federal motor vehicle safety standards" - if this sticker is in the doorjamb she said I won't need her

Anyway so I went to my car and hunted all over - I found the EPA sticker in the engine compartment (Yippee!) but after checking every single doorjamb in my car I can't find the DOT safety sticker - the closest I found is the 'Manufactured in Canada' sticker. I am wondering if by saying that it was manufactured in Canada and meets the CDN safety standards if that is good enough for importing my car.

Any thoughts?! :help:

In other news, I went to my doctor for my TDap shot (I'd made the appt two weeks earlier after confirming they had TDap not just TD) but when I arrived (and of course had to wait forever to see the doctor), they were out of the shot. The doctor said "oh no worry you can go to public health and get it down there! No need for an appointment!" so I drove over to public health. Only to have the lady at the desk get annoyed because I was there without an appointment and she sent me away to make an appointment for another day.

I then drove to the police station to get the certificate only to find out that local branch didn't do those, and I had to drive half an hour further to get to a place that DID! But on a bright note, they gave me the name check one (it cost about $53 for me to get) right away. I'm pretty sure I don't need the fingerprint one (the lady said they could not be held responsible or give a refund if I got the wrong one) but from all the VJ reading we just need the National Records check. Thanks VJ!

Anyway, who knew this visa stuff could be such a pain!!

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

YA others on VJ have reported that some manufacturers have stopped issuing the letters, not sure why. Takes all of 5 minutes for them to email/fax it! Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

So is the TDap a top priority? meaning how fast does it have to get done, because I went to my pharmacy and purchased it took it to a walk in clinic and had the DR give it to me and sign my record of vaccinations and was out the door.

Fiance visa

04/28/2011 - I-129F - DENIED

02/18/2012 - I-129F petition filed
02/24/2012 - NOA1
09/04/2012 - NOA2, 193 days

Interview:10/22/2012
POE: 10/26/2012 (245 days)

Removal of Conditions

Filed for ROC - 06/09/2015

NOA1 for ROC - 06/12/2015

Biometrics appointment - 07/17/2015

Approval for ROC - 04/20/2016 (316 days)

Naturalization Process

N-400 Filed 06/10/2016

N-400 NOA1 06/14/2016

N-400 biometrics 06/20/16

N-400 interview 01/23/2017

N-400 Oath ceremony 02/10/2017

Immigration Process took 2116 days.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So is the TDap a top priority? meaning how fast does it have to get done, because I went to my pharmacy and purchased it took it to a walk in clinic and had the DR give it to me and sign my record of vaccinations and was out the door.

It needs to be done but you've clearly taken care of it so nothing to worry about. Bring your documentation to your medical.

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.