slim

She's here.... what now?

55 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Just checked out the Mexican forum. Seems they talk about Mexico over there. "How to run across the border" seemed to be a popular subject :lol::lol::lol:

16/10/2006- Interview date- I'm nervous and my fiance is cool calm and collective. And she's the one that has to do the interview.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

That might be useful. We could bring our Russian fiancees to Mexico, show them how to run across the border, and dispense with all the paperwork. Irina's a fast runner; and she can swim too, so no problem.

But would we have to live in California? Neither Irina nor I speak any Spanish, so that option wouldn't work for us.

05 07 05 .... Filed 129F with Nebraska Service Center

12 05 05 .... Successful interview -- visa granted

12 24 05 .... Married!

06 22 09 .... Irina takes the Oath and becomes a US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
That might be useful. We could bring our Russian fiancees to Mexico, show them how to run across the border, and dispense with all the paperwork. Irina's a fast runner; and she can swim too, so no problem.

But would we have to live in California? Neither Irina nor I speak any Spanish, so that option wouldn't work for us.

This is still a popular method for people from the former USSR. But they all seek asylum once they are here and usually adjust. It was easier under Soviet times of course, but there is still plenty of discrimination against Soviet Jews and other minority religions in the former Soviet Republics.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My neighbor came from Romania at 18 years old. He flew into Costa Rica I think and worked his way up through Mexico until he got into the U.S. He didn't speak any spanish or english which blows me away. I know things are bad in other countries but I dont think they are that bad. But then again I only go there for a couple of weeks at a time and I come back to my spoiled life.

16/10/2006- Interview date- I'm nervous and my fiance is cool calm and collective. And she's the one that has to do the interview.

Filed: Timeline

But you know... do you know why the three immigrants couldn't run across the border??

Because the sign said: No Tres-Passing!

::: rim shot :::

-- Dan

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
But you know... do you know why the three immigrants couldn't run across the border??Because the sign said: No Tres-Passing!
You must have made this up because we have already established that illegal immigrants cant read English.

Cheers!

AKDiver

(:

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Timeline
Just checked out the Mexican forum. Seems they talk about Mexico over there. "How to run across the border" seemed to be a popular subject :lol::lol::lol:

Ummmm. I feel like going to Taco Bell too!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
Speaking of learning languages, I got an "A" on my RUS102 test #2 this week. (:

Anyway - I don't think I saw taking classes at the local university on your list. They may have ESL in addition to remedial English, depending on what is more appropriate in your case.

Cheers!

AKDiver

I just had my second exam in Russian 2201 (Russian III). I don't know that I got an 'A', but I did understand everything on the test. My answers may have actually had some relavence to the questions asked as well. Which is a good sign I guess. My spelling is still absolutely horribe. One more exam to go, and then on to Russian IV next semester. I'm in trouble after that -- all subsequent courses are entirely in Russian!

Also, I've been considering spending a summer in Moscow studying (Lomonosov MSU). Does anyone have any experience with this?

http://cie.ru/eng/progr.php

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline

Speaking of learning languages, I got an "A" on my RUS102 test #2 this week. (:

Anyway - I don't think I saw taking classes at the local university on your list. They may have ESL in addition to remedial English, depending on what is more appropriate in your case.

Cheers!

AKDiver

I just had my second exam in Russian 2201 (Russian III). I don't know that I got an 'A', but I did understand everything on the test. My answers may have actually had some relavence to the questions asked as well. Which is a good sign I guess. My spelling is still absolutely horribe. One more exam to go, and then on to Russian IV next semester. I'm in trouble after that -- all subsequent courses are entirely in Russian!

Also, I've been considering spending a summer in Moscow studying (Lomonosov MSU). Does anyone have any experience with this?

http://cie.ru/eng/progr.php

Don't know about that one, but I do know that FSU (Florida State University) has a summer program at MSU. Trying to talk one of my kids that are at FSU now into going.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Hey, good job (:

I will complete Russian II at the end of this semester. Russian III is not offered until next fall ): Some of us are trying to get it offered for this coming Spring, but I doubt it will happen. So, that really sucks. I was hoping to finish 3 years of Russian by Summer 2008 when I might relocate, now the best I can do is 2. Ugh.

I would love to do it. The local university here (Alaska) has an exchange program with Magadan. I would do it in a heartbeat, but the problem is that even if I COULD get 4 months or whatever off from work (incredibly doubtful), by the time you figure in fees ($10K?) and lost wages for four months ($23K), it would be pretty damned expensive. For that kind of money, I'd probably be better off jut quitting my job, selling all my stuff, and relocating there for a year or two. (: Unfortunately, I've got bills to pay.

I would also miss my sweetie too much during those 4 months or so (:

Cheers!

AKDiver

Edited by akdiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Timeline
I would love to do it. The local university here (Alaska) has an exchange program with Magadan. I would do it in a heartbeat, but the problem is that even if I COULD get 4 months or whatever off from work (incredibly doubtful), by the time you figure in fees ($10K?) and lost wages for four months ($23K), it would be pretty damned expensive. For that kind of money, I'd probably be better off jut quitting my job, selling all my stuff, and relocating there for a year or two. (: Unfortunately, I've got bills to pay.

I would also miss my sweetie too much during those 4 months or so (:

Cheers!

AKDiver

My situation is a little diffferent - I signed up for Russian III first. Spoke with the professor, and she thought it was reasonable to stay there (since I knew the alphabet, could write in script, had decent vocabulary, and wasn't studying anything else, etc). I crammed the month before the class started by studying grammar. (I tend to learn better being in over my head - it gives me some incentive to study every day, instead of slacking off)

Oddly enough, it is fairly easy for me to work in Russia too. It is also normal for me to take time off (I usually take about 4 months a year).

Your take on the finances is right - I would be better off working there and studying part time. I would learn enough just being there anyway. 4 month contract is probably the way to go.

Funny - after reading what I just wrote, I feel like a pretty lucky 28 year old :)

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline

You are a pretty lucky 28-year-old! For me to do that, at 27, I'd have to tell all my creditors to F^@# off, then disappear in Russia, never returning to the U.S. However, in about 2 years, I should be set up to do exactly that as well. Just gotta pay off those bills.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Timeline
You are a pretty lucky 28-year-old! For me to do that, at 27, I'd have to tell all my creditors to F^@# off, then disappear in Russia, never returning to the U.S. However, in about 2 years, I should be set up to do exactly that as well. Just gotta pay off those bills.

You know, I -had- all my bills paid off, ZERO consumer credit, even had my car paid off... several thousand in the bank in savings...

Then I was introduced to this Russian woman...

Now I have a mortgage for a house I live in (with my cat), a car payment for the 2nd car I'd bought for her to drive, as well as a lot of consumer debt from the wedding, the rings, the honeymoon, several trips to Russia, buying the house, new appliances, not to mention the home equity loan to pay her @ss off in alimony/property settlement....

I seemed to go the other way... now remind me exactly -why- I want to try this again???

LOL

-- Dan

Edited by PurrSuede

Timeline
Now I have a mortgage for a house I live in (with my cat), a car payment for the 2nd car I'd bought for her to drive, as well as a lot of consumer debt from the wedding, the rings, the honeymoon, several trips to Russia, buying the house, new appliances, not to mention the home equity loan to pay her @ss off in alimony/property settlement....
Yet another reason to marry a local gal. She'll be educated in the US, already have a decent job, have her "immigration" documents in order, bring property and assets to the relationship, and generally make you financially better off. At least that is what I get told any time I say how one sided the expenses were in the beginning.

Hi Slim,

In my time, when I arrived here, me and fiance got married soon before doing any documentations or ID stuff as we don't want to get anything and then later on after the wedding need to change my name on everything again (save time, effort and money). In short, we got everything after the wedding.

March 31, 2003 Sent I-129F

October 10, 2003 NOA Receipt

November 19, 2003 NOA 2 Approved

February 13, 2004 Embassy Interview & Visa Approved

February 19, 2004 Visa arrived

February 25, 2004 Arrival in USA

March 24, 2004 It's happy wedding day! :)

April 8, 2004 Mailed I-485

April 12, 2004 Received NOA

May 5, 2004 Biometric

December 12, 2004 Interview & Approved

December 26, 2004 Received Green Card

September 27, 2006 Mailed I-751

October 21, 2006 Receipt of NOA

October 23, 2006 NOA of Biometric Appointment

November 8, 2006 Biometric Appoinment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.