nemozed

Someone on disability and K-1 Visa

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I would think that because your regular income was enough to support your fiance (based on your SSDI income you are receiving and I'm assuming an IDI policy?), I would think that would be fine. It certainly couldn't hurt to send that to your fiance for the interview so he/she will be able to show it to the CO if they have concerns, though I don't know if it will come up during an interview or not. I'll be interested to see how that turns out though so keep me informed! Best of luck on your transplant!

Thanks Thomas and Kristi for clarifying the confusion I had regarding you first post related to this thread about SSDI not being considered regular income. I see the difference between the two scenarious you described.

Que Saudade, sorry you were confused.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello everyone.i am from the philippines and entered the united states on a k1 visa.i have a daughter who came in a k2 visa.my fiance <now my husband>is under disability.we had our interview at the u.s. embassy in manila without a co-sponsor. and we passed that interview and was issued a visa.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Fil-Am, I'd bet that your petitioner's disability income was well North of the $7k income this petitioner has. That is waaaay below federal poverty guidelines. Anything below 100% of FPG is denied as likely to be public charge. The consulate doesn't have to take an additional sponsor on K visas because the I-134 is not legally binding and the consulate cannot accept the I-864 for a non-immigrant visa like the K1 visa.

Of course, they can always attempt to overcome the deficiency by showing 5 times the deficiency in liquid assets.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

K3 visas are no longer in effect. He will have to apply for a IR-1 / CR-1 visa.

Here's the comparison between these visas http://www.visajourn...t/compare#ircr1

Yes and no. K3 visas are not available but US Citizens don't apply for visas. He would file a petition to start the process that would lead to the foreign spouse applying for a CR1 visa.

If it's the Philippines, he needs to get back there and get married. First check the requirements as it takes a couple weeks and some hoop jumping to accomplish it. He can then be successful with a qualified joint sponsor.

hello everyone.i am from the philippines and entered the united states on a k1 visa.i have a daughter who came in a k2 visa.my fiance <now my husband>is under disability.we had our interview at the u.s. embassy in manila without a co-sponsor. and we passed that interview and was issued a visa.

Not all disability is the same. If the disability income is sufficient to qualify, no problem. The subject at hand here is a petitioner without sufficient income.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a friend on social security disability. He lives on an income about $7,000 a year. He struck up a relationship online with a woman and they wish to marry. He has a co-sponsor with a very good income, resources and assets. Is it possible for someone in this situation to successfully bring his fiancee to the U.S. or is his income just to long even with a very strong guarantor-co-sponsor?

I think it is possible... Good Luck

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

Filing date: April 23, 2011

I-485 Biometrics Appt Date: May 16,2011

I-485 Approval Date:June 26 , 2011

I-485 Approved: Approved

Green Card received Date: August 04,2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

That very cool congrats and good Luck!!!!

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

Filing date: April 23, 2011

I-485 Biometrics Appt Date: May 16,2011

I-485 Approval Date:June 26 , 2011

I-485 Approved: Approved

Green Card received Date: August 04,2011

Fil-Am, I'd bet that your petitioner's disability income was well North of the $7k income this petitioner has. That is waaaay below federal poverty guidelines. Anything below 100% of FPG is denied as likely to be public charge. The consulate doesn't have to take an additional sponsor on K visas because the I-134 is not legally binding and the consulate cannot accept the I-864 for a non-immigrant visa like the K1 visa.

Of course, they can always attempt to overcome the deficiency by showing 5 times the deficiency in liquid assets.

My K-1'er friend's fiancée submitted an I-864 from my friend's joint sponsor and the U.S. Embassy Manila accepted it. Other VJ'ers in Manila have done the same thing.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My K-1'er friend's fiancée submitted an I-864 from my friend's joint sponsor and the U.S. Embassy Manila accepted it. Other VJ'ers in Manila have done the same thing.

It is actually against the law to accept the binding I-864 in a K visa case. It's also against the policies of the Field Adjudicator's Manual. Don't count on trying this. Marry and do it right.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

It is actually against the law to accept the binding I-864 in a K visa case. It's also against the policies of the Field Adjudicator's Manual. Don't count on trying this. Marry and do it right.

Against the law? Maybe so, but I've seen it work several times at the U.S. Embassy Manila.

• 5 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread from 2012 is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.