skylane

DVD Formatting In Thailand

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

We want to give my wife's family a copy of our wedding DVD and I'm fairly sure we are going to need to convert it from NTSC to PAL formatting.

Anybody have any experience with this? Do they need conversion at all?

------------------

5/17/2011 I-129F K-1 Petition sent

5/19/2011 Received at TX courier address

5/24/2011 Confirmation Email Received

5/26/2011 NOA1 Received

8/04/2011 NOA2 Received

9/03/2011 Packet 3 Received

9/16/2011 Packet 3 Returned

11/13/2011 Packet 4 Email Received

12/1/2011 Interview

12/8/2011 POE Seattle

12/22/2011 Married

2/17/2012 AOS/EAD/AP Sent

2/24/2012 Chicago Lockbox Received

2/28/2012 NOA1 Email

3/6/2012 NOA1 Letter

3/15/2012 Biometrics

3/22/2012 Transferred to CSC

4/25/2012 EAD/AP Approved

4/30/2012 EAD/AP Card Production Ordered

5/4/2012 EAD/AP Card Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

We want to give my wife's family a copy of our wedding DVD and I'm fairly sure we are going to need to convert it from NTSC to PAL formatting.

Anybody have any experience with this? Do they need conversion at all?

Definitely needs to be PAL.

I found this on the net:

http://www.bestshareware.net/howto/convert-between-pal-and-ntsc-formats.htm

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I found this on the net:

http://www.bestshare...tsc-formats.htm

rant

It's really quite annoying the U.S. failure to adopt the rest of the worlds standards. Metric etc. I'm in telecom and I run into it all the time. The U.S. has a standard, the rest of the world uses an international standard that almost all countries follow.

Arrogance I guess. Look at the Susan B Anthony dollar. Could've saved the government some big money. No one would accept it. In Canada they just said this is the way it is. No more 1 or 2 dollar bills. They are coins now in Canada.

/rant

I do know that when you buy a DVD there are region codes. I've run in to that mess before buying a PAL formatted DVD and then trying to play it on a DVD player when the region codes don't match.

Edited by Karee

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks for the info!

I found this on the net:

http://www.bestshareware.net/howto/convert-between-pal-and-ntsc-formats.htm

------------------

5/17/2011 I-129F K-1 Petition sent

5/19/2011 Received at TX courier address

5/24/2011 Confirmation Email Received

5/26/2011 NOA1 Received

8/04/2011 NOA2 Received

9/03/2011 Packet 3 Received

9/16/2011 Packet 3 Returned

11/13/2011 Packet 4 Email Received

12/1/2011 Interview

12/8/2011 POE Seattle

12/22/2011 Married

2/17/2012 AOS/EAD/AP Sent

2/24/2012 Chicago Lockbox Received

2/28/2012 NOA1 Email

3/6/2012 NOA1 Letter

3/15/2012 Biometrics

3/22/2012 Transferred to CSC

4/25/2012 EAD/AP Approved

4/30/2012 EAD/AP Card Production Ordered

5/4/2012 EAD/AP Card Received

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

rant

It's really quite annoying the U.S. failure to adopt the rest of the worlds standards. Metric etc. I'm in telecom and I run into it all the time. The U.S. has a standard, the rest of the world uses an international standard that almost all countries follow.

Arrogance I guess. Look at the Susan B Anthony dollar. Could've saved the government some big money. No one would accept it. In Canada they just said this is the way it is. No more 1 or 2 dollar bills. They are coins now in Canada.

/rant

I do know that when you buy a DVD there are region codes. I've run in to that mess before buying a PAL formatted DVD and then trying to play it on a DVD player when the region codes don't match.

The development and implementation of three standards (PAL, NTSC, SECAM) had nothing to do with arrogance. All of them at the time of development offered different technical advantages.

In Thailand I have come across many TVs and DVD players that were capable of playing both PAL and NTSC. I've even bought a NTSC DVD (some movie) in Thailand at Mang Pong, and it played fine with my wife's ancient equipment. But if you want to be 100% sure, get in converted.

Region coding is a flawed system of maintaining different price points in different markets, and a is a form copyright protection.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.