payxibka

Selecting a service center

29 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My understanding of the regulations is that you can send your petition to either the service center that covers the state you currently live in (currently my permanent address) or to the service center in the state that covers an address you expect to live in.

Here is my question: I have the opportunity to put in a valid address in a state that is covered by VSC (my sister's residence). She has offered this so I need I can receive mail at that address. If my interpretation of the regulations is correct and should I opt for that opportunity, will VSC send all my snail mail to that address or my permanent address where I currently live? Anyone think of any pitfalls to this approach?

YMMV

I don't know the answer..but I wish I would've thought of this...

What about tax returns..

Job letter..

stuff like that...

My understanding of the regulations is that you can send your petition to either the service center that covers the state you currently live in (currently my permanent address) or to the service center in the state that covers an address you expect to live in.

Here is my question: I have the opportunity to put in a valid address in a state that is covered by VSC (my sister's residence). She has offered this so I need I can receive mail at that address. If my interpretation of the regulations is correct and should I opt for that opportunity, will VSC send all my snail mail to that address or my permanent address where I currently live? Anyone think of any pitfalls to this approach?

9/14 2006 I-129F Sent Next day Air

9/15 Recieved and signed for by "Freeman" at NSC

9/19 NOA1 CSC Recieved

9/25 Notice date Check cashed 9/25

9/28 I Recieved NOA1(I-797C) in the mail

12/5 NOA2 12/6 but Approved on 12/5 touch

12/9 Received NOA2(I-797) by snail mail

12/15 NVC has received it..Case # issued...

12/19 NVC shipped to Romania

12/22 Romanian Embassy has received an email from NVC that my Petition is on it's way...

12/29 Packet 3 sent to Veronica

1/12 2007 Packet 3 received Dang Holidays..

1/22 Sending all paperwork(I-134,Bank/Employer letters etc..,)..to Veronica per DHL, 3.5lbs...$144 WOW!

1/25 Recieved notice that She needs to pick up my packet in Chisinau..

1/26 Sending Back Packet 3

2/16 Transit Visa to go to Romania for the Interview approved..

2/20 Leaves for Bucharest overnight drive by bus...

2/21 Medical

2/22 Interview !!!! APPROVED !!!!!

3/9 2007 Flight to me....

4/7 2007 Married,,,

AOS

7/27 Sent I-485, I-864, I-765

7/30 Chicago Recieved I-485,I-765

Veronica is pregant....Due 4/17/08

9/1 Recieved NOA Bio appointment letter

9/8 Recieved NOA1's for both I-485 and I-765

9/18 Bio appointment

Received Green Card.. Nov 2007

Djuliann came 4/25/2008

I-751 Lifting Of Conditions

9/8/2009 Sent I-751

Received NOA 9/21 NOA Receipt Date 9/10/2009

9/24 received Bio letter Dated 9/18

10/9 Bio Appointment

10/23 Received Permanent Resident Card

N-400 2012

Filed for citizenship sent 2/21/2012

Timeline

What about tax returns..

Job letter..

stuff like that...

That is all interview level documentation not USCIS petition.... :D

YMMV

Timeline

What actually clued me in to look at the options available was a friend of mine who lived in Ohio actually rented an apartment in Podunk, VA (or some city like that) for a period of 30 days. He then filed his petition at VSC instead of NSC (back then VSC was turning petitions in less than 30 days and NSC was 180 days, Oh wait not a lot different than today!). Anyways, I reviewed the regs and came up with this idea but it was too late for me back then as I already had a petition pending at NSC (which I withdrew before approval) .... Now two+ years, I am in a position to consider testing it....

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The problem may arise when the service center starts doing a background and name check and not finding that you reside at the location that the petition is showing they may start asking questions. Lying on an application like that to the government is never a good thing. Why risk it?

Besides lately CSC has been fairly quick on applications now that most of the IMBRA backlog has been cleared. I am seeing timeliness with July/Aug NOA1 getting NOA2 SEP/OCT.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline
The problem may arise when the service center starts doing a background and name check and not finding that you reside at the location that the petition is showing they may start asking questions. Lying on an application like that to the government is never a good thing. Why risk it?

Besides lately CSC has been fairly quick on applications now that most of the IMBRA backlog has been cleared. I am seeing timeliness with July/Aug NOA1 getting NOA2 SEP/OCT.

Here is the rub... It says "expect" to live.... I can easily say that I "expect" to live there eventhough I have never lived there... I realize this is splitting hairs but......

I agree that things are significantly speeding up here and it may be moot but I think my theory is sound...

YMMV

Why risk it...

If it really were a viable option I think quite a few more people on these forums would have done it.

So many people come on here asking "HOW FAST CAN I GET MY PETITION DONE?!" And the answer is always "as fast as the rest of us". If there were a shortcut, or a loophole, everyone on these forums would know about it.

AOS/EAD/AP:

Apr. 24 2007: AOS/EAD/AP Sent to Chicago Lockbox

Apr. 25 2007: AOS/EAD/AP Arrived at Chicago

Apr. 30 2007: NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP

May 02 2007: AOS/EAD/AP Cheques cashed

May 03 2007: AOS/EAD/AP Touched

May 22 2007: RFE

May 25 2007: Biometrics for EAD

May 29 2007: EAD Touched

Jun. 06 2007: Biometrics for AOS Completed at the same time as EAD

Jun. 08 2007: RFE sent back

Jun. 11 2007: RFE Rec'd

Jun. 13 2007: AOS Touched

Jun. 14 2007: AOS Touched

Jun. 18 2007: AOS Touched

Jul. 10 2007: EAD and AP Touched and approved!

Aug. 17 2007: AOS Interview! APPROVED!!!!

Lifting Conditions:

Jun. 15 2009: Mailed I-751 to CSC

Aug. 14 2009: Biometrics

Sep. 17 2009: Approved!

Pillowcased: Diary of a Madwoman. Full timeline coming soon!

Timeline
Why risk it...

If it really were a viable option I think quite a few more people on these forums would have done it.

So many people come on here asking "HOW FAST CAN I GET MY PETITION DONE?!" And the answer is always "as fast as the rest of us". If there were a shortcut, or a loophole, everyone on these forums would know about it.

I agree intrinsically with what you are saying, but if in fact it is allowable to submit based on your "intended" location what is the risk? They transfer the petition to CSC? They return it?

YMMV

fwaguy

Can you post the link where you read this as I was under the impression that 'filing where you will reside eventually' applied to those US citizens who were not currently in the US.

Would like to add. Hubby at the time we filed had no fixed address and was travelling across the US staying with family etc for various amounts of time. He filed using his sisters address covered by VSC as VSC was approving much faster. If one can do it, do it.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Timeline
fwaguy

Can you post the link where you read this as I was under the impression that 'filing where you will reside eventually' applied to those US citizens who were not currently in the US.

Would like to add. Hubby at the time we filed had no fixed address and was travelling across the US staying with family etc for various amounts of time. He filed using his sisters address covered by VSC as VSC was approving much faster. If one can do it, do it.

I may ultimately be complete wet here......

This why I really posted the question here in the first place. The link I have is over two years old and is to the then BCIS website which now goes to the USCIS website but all the pages are different. I am not bright enough to have thought of this scheme all by myself. It has been locked away in my mind for 2+ years. If I was 100% sure of this then I would have just done it and reported back my success or failure. I wanted to see if any fellow VJ'ers could confirm or blow an absolute hole in it. So far, I have suspicion but no definitive proof in either direction. Well the definitive proof is that I really lack any proof right now..... And I will not do anything of this kind unless I know I am correct... Lack of any good support, it appears I will file at the NSC once again....

FYI, US Citizens abroad are to file at the service center based on there last residence....

YMMV

fwaguy

I'm sure I read something a little different only the other day. Am going through lots of info to refind it and will post back soon as, one way or the other.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline
Why risk it...

Good one! Everybody has to just sit back and "try" to endure the ride!

Alicia (United States) + Juan Francisco (Nicaragua) = AMOR

Timeline:

06-??-05: Met on mission trip in El Salvador...

07-28-05: Said goodbye...sniff, sniff

05-19-06: He was denied the tourist visa by the Embassy in Managua...

06-15-06: I couldn't wait any longer...flew to see him in Managua...

07-??-06: We got engaged.

07-13-06: I flew back to the U.S.

10-03-06: I-129F sent certified express mail

10-06-06: Notice Left, October 06, 2006, 11:29 am, MESQUITE, TX 75185 (um..maybe tomorrow?!)

10-10-06: Your item was delivered at 6:40 am on October 10, 2006 in MESQUITE, TX 75185 to INS . The item was signed for by M S.

10-16-06: NOA1 date...no email...but this is the date on the official copy that they sent to me (it's so pretty!).

10-19-06: Check posted (online banking).

10-20-06: Received NOA1 snail mail.

01-04-07: NOA2 (93 days)

01-11-07: Received NOA2 snail mail.

01-20-07: Letter from NVC: Case will be on its way to Managua within 1 week. (Date on letter: Jan 16).

01-26-07: Fran receives packet three and INTERVIEW DATE.

03-13-07: Interview date. Visa granted! Gracias a Dios.

03-18-07: We fly back to the U.S.

03-22-07: We get married!

06-??-07: We file I-485.

Hold up b/c notice of biometrics appointment doesn't arrive to our never changed address!

I don't really remember the dates b/c I am filling this in half a year later!

12-24-07: We find out we are expecting a little one!

01-??-08: Fran receives his green card.

I wouldn't risk it, remember what may seem easy now, may cause problems in the future . . . but then again I do worry WAY too much. But I still wouldn't do it! :yes:

* * * * * * * * * K-1 VISA * * * * * * * * * * * *

06/21/06: Submitted I-129F to the CSC

10/18/06: NOA2 DATE

01/29/07: MEDICAL IN CDJ

01/30/07: INTERVIEW in CDJ **My fiance receives his visa**

03/31/07-04/08/07: I leave to Mexico and bring back my fiance

04/08/07: U.S. ENTRY at LAX

04/23/07: Married in Vegas

* * * * * * * *AOS, AP, & EAD * * * * * * * * * *

05/24/07: Submitted AOS, AP, EAD

06/01/07: NOA1 for AOS & EAD, NOA1 for AP missing, but they received forms

06/06/07: TOUCHED (AOS, AP, EAD)

06/23/07: RFE for I-864 paperwork

07/03/07: Biometrics for AOS & EAD

07/03/07: TOUCHED (EAD)

07/07/07: Submitted response to RFE

07/18/07: TOUCHED (AOS) They received RFE response

08/08/07: AP APPROVED

08/10/07: EAD APPROVED

10/17/07: AOS interview in Los Angeles -- APPROVED, pending name check :(

02/08/08: Name check has cleared, Notice welcoming new resident is mailed out

02/12/08: Card Production ordered, woohoo

02/15/08: Notice welcoming new resident is received

02/21/08: GREEN CARD IN HAND

08/23/08: After 7 years together . . . Religious wedding ceremony and HUGE PARTY in Jalisco, Mexico (we deserve it)

08/24-08/30: Spend our honeymoon in Acapulco, Mexico

Link to video clip of our wedding: http://www.youtube.com/user/dstradaproducc...f/1/wHiId9HZVRc

Nov. 2009: File to Remove Conditions

Timeline
I wouldn't risk it, remember what may seem easy now, may cause problems in the future . . . but then again I do worry WAY too much. But I still wouldn't do it! :yes:

I have pretty much dropped the idea in my mind but what concerns me is everyone keeps telling me not to "risk" it. What truly is the risk? Will VSC return my petition? Will VSC transfer it to CSC? Somethig much worse? What am I missing?

YMMV

Like I said in my previous post, I worry way too much and I personally would not do it. I don't know, what if your fiance is at the interview stage and they ask about your job, past income taxes if they notice your address on them and then they figure out you filed in the wrong center. Or what if after it is approved, but then they find out you should have filed at the CSC, and then you have to go through the entire process once again. Is that a risk you want to take? But then again, you could get away with it and speed right on through. Me personally, I would not take that route. I would file at the center I am supposed too, even if it's the CSC. Just think about it and decide what's best for you. Good luck! :thumbs:

* * * * * * * * * K-1 VISA * * * * * * * * * * * *

06/21/06: Submitted I-129F to the CSC

10/18/06: NOA2 DATE

01/29/07: MEDICAL IN CDJ

01/30/07: INTERVIEW in CDJ **My fiance receives his visa**

03/31/07-04/08/07: I leave to Mexico and bring back my fiance

04/08/07: U.S. ENTRY at LAX

04/23/07: Married in Vegas

* * * * * * * *AOS, AP, & EAD * * * * * * * * * *

05/24/07: Submitted AOS, AP, EAD

06/01/07: NOA1 for AOS & EAD, NOA1 for AP missing, but they received forms

06/06/07: TOUCHED (AOS, AP, EAD)

06/23/07: RFE for I-864 paperwork

07/03/07: Biometrics for AOS & EAD

07/03/07: TOUCHED (EAD)

07/07/07: Submitted response to RFE

07/18/07: TOUCHED (AOS) They received RFE response

08/08/07: AP APPROVED

08/10/07: EAD APPROVED

10/17/07: AOS interview in Los Angeles -- APPROVED, pending name check :(

02/08/08: Name check has cleared, Notice welcoming new resident is mailed out

02/12/08: Card Production ordered, woohoo

02/15/08: Notice welcoming new resident is received

02/21/08: GREEN CARD IN HAND

08/23/08: After 7 years together . . . Religious wedding ceremony and HUGE PARTY in Jalisco, Mexico (we deserve it)

08/24-08/30: Spend our honeymoon in Acapulco, Mexico

Link to video clip of our wedding: http://www.youtube.com/user/dstradaproducc...f/1/wHiId9HZVRc

Nov. 2009: File to Remove Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.