Proxyon

My oath - a nightmare !

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

This was the least expected thing to happen - I missed my oath ceremony, because of a kidney crisis.

I woke up this morning with a pain, it was awful, but I ignored it and decided to go to the ceremony. In front of the gates, I found out I can not wait and be able to endure the pain for 4 hours. I was waiting for this event with such a pleasure and joy and how unlucky you have to be to face something like that. In 365 days of the year, why did it happened today ? Why ? Damn it ! When I was out of the emergency room, went to the building, and people were going out smiling and happy, making pictures. They were holding their naturalization certificates in hands, I was holding my tears

So now after such a dissapointments I am wondering what I can do in my situation. I have couple of questions:

1. In order to reschedule my oath, do I have to call USCIS or they will automaticly schedule me for the next available ceremony ?

2. If rescheduled, can I skip the next ceremony (which I know will be on August 29th), go to my country with the green card and ask USCIS to put me for an oath in October or November. The reason to do so is because I have medical issues (yes, correct - that kidney nightmare which killed me in pain today). I can prove everything with my medical records from the ER.

3. How many times am I allowed to reschedule an oath ?

Thank you, guys.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You need to contact them asap and have doctor's documentation ready to prove you absolutely could not attend. Explain that due to medical issues you will be unavailable for a couple of months.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

When missing an oath you don't decide when you go to the next one. You get put back in the system and they will decide for you what your next oath date will be. Some people have been known to get lost in the system, so it could be months or longer depending. You might luck out and they might schedule you for the next one, but you don't have a choice when.

You can try the medical thing to request a delay, but they will most likely still just put you into the system and call you up when they decide to call you up if you haven't gotten lost in the system...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I disagree. If u get an info pass they will probably issue another oath letter at the spot. Only if u show them proof u were at the hospital that day. Just make an infopass and good luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

This was the least expected thing to happen - I missed my oath ceremony, because of a kidney crisis.

I woke up this morning with a pain, it was awful, but I ignored it and decided to go to the ceremony. In front of the gates, I found out I can not wait and be able to endure the pain for 4 hours. I was waiting for this event with such a pleasure and joy and how unlucky you have to be to face something like that. In 365 days of the year, why did it happened today ? Why ? Damn it ! When I was out of the emergency room, went to the building, and people were going out smiling and happy, making pictures. They were holding their naturalization certificates in hands, I was holding my tears

So now after such a dissapointments I am wondering what I can do in my situation. I have couple of questions:

1. In order to reschedule my oath, do I have to call USCIS or they will automaticly schedule me for the next available ceremony ?

2. If rescheduled, can I skip the next ceremony (which I know will be on August 29th), go to my country with the green card and ask USCIS to put me for an oath in October or November. The reason to do so is because I have medical issues (yes, correct - that kidney nightmare which killed me in pain today). I can prove everything with my medical records from the ER.

3. How many times am I allowed to reschedule an oath ?

Thank you, guys.

I am sorry to hear your experience. I cannot give you advice here but I wish you all the best!

I disagree. If u get an info pass they will probably issue another oath letter at the spot. Only if u show them proof u were at the hospital that day. Just make an infopass and good luck

I agree...people at infopass appointments have always been very kind and helpful.... and.. after all... you did turn up, you were just taken ill.

You've got nothing to lose by making an infopass.

Old and Grumpy....But an American Citizen!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I agree...people at infopass appointments have always been very kind and helpful.... and.. after all... you did turn up, you were just taken ill.

You've got nothing to lose by making an infopass.

I'm very sorry for what happened. But don't be sad, same thing (well, almost) happened to me: I missed my ceremony because I did not receive the oath letter. So, my letter was never coming and following the advice of some VJ buddies I called USCIS and asked to speak to a Tier 2 officer, who let me know I had missed my ceremony. I felt angry, came back to VJ and people advised me to schedule an infopass, which I did, so next day I was there talking to a nice officer. You can do the same and when there, just let them know when you will be available, or if you prefer, postpone your trip and who knows being scheduled for the next ceremony. :)

Best luck, and don't feel bad, these things happen sometimes. :thumbs:

Caroline (Brazil) and Phil (USA)

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.