souljourner444

K-1 I129K visa Co-Sponsor / Manila

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have filed the K-1 I129F fiancee visa I am now in the decision stage. I had to resign from my employment due to a workmens comp settlement. I made well over the required financial requirement, however now I am unemployed, Unable to perform the weight barring duties required in construction. I was denied social security disability benefits. I own a home with no mortgage payments. and I hear Manila does not approve co-sponsors. can anyone advise me of options? will it help that i own my home without a mortgage? I'm afraid I will not find gainful employment in time to meet the financial requirement. please help! P.S. can a church sponsor me? or a friend? or can I have more then one sponsor? thank you for all feedback in advance,

kind regards.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have filed the K-1 I129F fiancee visa I am now in the decision stage. I had to resign from my employment due to a workmens comp settlement. I made well over the required financial requirement, however now I am unemployed, Unable to perform the weight barring duties required in construction. I was denied social security disability benefits. I own a home with no mortgage payments. and I hear Manila does not approve co-sponsors. can anyone advise me of options? will it help that i own my home without a mortgage? I'm afraid I will not find gainful employment in time to meet the financial requirement. please help! P.S. can a church sponsor me? or a friend? or can I have more then one sponsor? thank you for all feedback in advance,

kind regards.

a friend can sponser you if that friend is a US citizen. You can NOT have more than 1 co-sponser. It is very likely that your fiancee's visa will be denied if you need to use a co-sponser. The other option would be to marry her and file an I-130 petition.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Serbia
Timeline

kind regards.

You will definitely get more detailed responses from people who went through Manila, but from what I have heard, they don't look favorably on co-sponsors. In the event they do allow a co-sponsor, it may only be 1 person and I don't think a church can do it: it has to be a taxpaying citizen, who can be a friend, relative etc.

Re: no mortgage, I don't think that helps too much, they ask for a current income or money in savings to make up for the lack of sufficient current income.

I can only speak from my personal knowledge and observed experience. Since you have stated that you own your home, free and clear of debt, and have the necessary assets to meet the USCIS "requirements," you should be able to satisfy the K1 visa requirements. Anyone, and I repeat anyone, who is a USA citizen can be a co-sponsor for your petition. Now, I don't know that a business can be a co-sponsor for the type of visa you are applying for. I have never, ever, read in any official documentation or have heard that a petitioner can not have more than 1 co-sponsor. Visa petitioners can not be discriminated on the basis of needing a co-sponsor. So, Manila can not deny your visa application, solely, based on the fact that you need a co-sponsor.

Regards,

Sid

Timeline

I can only speak from my personal knowledge and observed experience. Since you have stated that you own your home, free and clear of debt, and have the necessary assets to meet the USCIS "requirements," you should be able to satisfy the K1 visa requirements. Anyone, and I repeat anyone, who is a USA citizen can be a co-sponsor for your petition. Now, I don't know that a business can be a co-sponsor for the type of visa you are applying for. I have never, ever, read in any official documentation or have heard that a petitioner can not have more than 1 co-sponsor. Visa petitioners can not be discriminated on the basis of needing a co-sponsor. So, Manila can not deny your visa application, solely, based on the fact that you need a co-sponsor.

Regards,

Sid

Ohhhhh yea of little knowledge. Many, many have been denied for that fact alone.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

kind regards.

Hi, I do not know the amounts but I believe 5x the poverty rate for your house hold size or assets equal to that. I have read here and on the USCIS.gov site that your house is an asset but it must be appraised and so forth. Do a little digging and if you morgage is paid and worth enough you got it covered. Good luck

Ohhhhh yea of little knowledge. Many, many have been denied for that fact alone.

Mr. Senior member, "denied for that fact," what fact? Ohhhh, yea of vague responses.

Sid

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

sorry i didn't add that it would only be my fiancee and I which would be a household of two. I am so not prepared to be denied we have a long standing relationship, I have been to manila twice most recent from Feb-June 2012 which i brought one of my adult daughters with me. we all love my fiancee so much, I'm so worried after all we been through my not having a job could deny us. I want to thank you all who replied and hope there is more, something, wishful thinking something will come to mind from someone who experienced this particular situation. please keep the opinions coming.

thank you,

Mike.

Timeline

Mr. Senior member, "denied for that fact," what fact? Ohhhh, yea of vague responses.

Sid

The fact that you stated that a consular officer cannot discriminate and deny a visa due to needing a cosponser. The job of the consular officer is to discriminate!!! If they did not discriminate then each and every applicant with the proper documentation would be approved.

Hi, I do not know the amounts but I believe 5x the poverty rate for your house hold size or assets equal to that. I have read here and on the USCIS.gov site that your house is an asset but it must be appraised and so forth. Do a little digging and if you morgage is paid and worth enough you got it covered. Good luck

The amount for using assets for a spouse is 3X the short fall of the income requirement. If income is zero than the assets need to be more than $56,736 in value. The asset(s) need to be easiliy convertable to cash and do not place an undue hardship on the sponsor in doing so. The primary residence or car is not a valid asset in the eyes of the USCIS as it would place an undue hardship if it was sold. Where would the sponsor live if the house was sold to cover the debt incured by the I-864 beneficiary?

I have heard of one or two people getting thru Manila using a co-sponsor on a K-1 visa, but they filed an I-864 and the I-134. The I-864 carries legal enforcement wheras the I-134 does not. Maybe you can try that.

I wish you all the best,

Dave

The fact that you stated that a consular officer cannot discriminate and deny a visa due to needing a cosponser. The job of the consular officer is to discriminate!!! If they did not discriminate then each and every applicant with the proper documentation would be approved.

Mr. Senior member, this is getting off-topic. I will agree that the consular officer can deny a visa application for just about any reason he wants to, and can justify. However, it has been my educated experience and observation that just needing a co-sponsor is not enough to deny a petition, there were [had to have been] additional concerns/problems that all put together got the visa application denied. And, not solely based on the need for a co-sponsor. Obviously, your [educated] experience and observation(s) have been different than mine. Last time I checked, some time ago, discrimination is against the law in the USA, or are you referring to some other country. Yes, discrimination does happen..., and it is against USA law and I don't think any government worker wants to lose their job because of a charge for it.

You remind me of another person I encountered telling me that the USCIS can deny re-entry of a US citizen for any reason. Pretty vague, eh... I did my research and found that every case I examined there were additional concerns/problems with the [mostly naturalized] US citizen regarding his association, travel and/or dealings with his former home country or other countries not looked at favorably by the US government. References - internet searches and detailed analysis,or case study, of each case.

Regards,

Sid

I sign my name to my posts.

Timeline

Mr. Senior member, this is getting off-topic. I will agree that the consular officer can deny a visa application for just about any reason he wants to, and can justify. However, it has been my educated experience and observation that just needing a co-sponsor is not enough to deny a petition, there were [had to have been] additional concerns/problems that all put together got the visa application denied. And, not solely based on the need for a co-sponsor. Obviously, your [educated] experience and observation(s) have been different than mine. Last time I checked, some time ago, discrimination is against the law in the USA, or are you referring to some other country. Yes, discrimination does happen..., and it is against USA law and I don't think any government worker wants to lose their job because of a charge for it.

You remind me of another person I encountered telling me that the USCIS can deny re-entry of a US citizen for any reason. Pretty vague, eh... I did my research and found that every case I examined there were additional concerns/problems with the [mostly naturalized] US citizen regarding his association, travel and/or dealings with his former home country or other countries not looked at favorably by the US government. References - internet searches and detailed analysis,or case study, of each case.

Regards,

Sid

I sign my name to my posts.

Ok...I concede to you. But, I tell you this, discrimination, by the definition of the word is not against the law.

Timeline

Regards,

Sid

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/159962-co-sponsor-question/

I will also agree with you that by "definition," discrimination, is not illegal. I am wondering if have you read all of the posts to the link you provided above? I did. I ask b/c I don't believe the original poster told us everything. For example, first its the co-sponsor, then its the new employer that doesn't exist yet, then talks about getting married first - this poster is all over the place. There is a lot of info. missing here. I also ask b/c poster #6 to that message replied as follows:

"Wait, what? Everything I've read so far has indicated that Co-Sponsors *are* fine to use for the I-134 portion of the K-1 process. You're saying that they are not, or you were told they are not?

Here is what the FAQ For the I-134 on this very site says:

"Not having adequate income will not usually be a problem if you have a co-sponsor, according to experiences

posted on the newsgroup, as long as the co-sponsor has adequate income/assets."

Am I missing something, here?"

Wow, is this true? I have not read it. I am a member of two yahoo groups about Fil-Am relationships since mid-2007. One of these groups, I won't promote it here but I discuss it on my time line page, deals specifically with Americans who wish to immigrate Filipino/a's either by the fiance visa or the spousal visa. While it is not an everyday occurrence many people have used co-sponsors and all of the successful journeys went through the manila embassy, the only US embassy in the Phil. I have read about an unemployed son using mom and dad as a co-sponsor, many disabled men using their kid or kids as co-sponsors, just to name a few and all were successful. I still believe that, at issue, is more than needing a co-sponsor, like job history, criminal history, providing the required information and documentation, IRS documentation required and not provided, or questionable evidence or documentation provided. Heck, it is the USCIS that provides the ability to use a co-sponsor. And, then the USCIS is going to tell me that a co-sponsor is not allowed... I don't think so. Probably just like you I have also read many, many tales of how the guy and his gal got screwed over by the USCIS. I quit. This horse has been beaten to death. May it rest in peace. As I read on your timeline page, you journey is just beginning... I wish you the best of luck with your journey.

Regards,

Sid

Timeline

I will also agree with you that by "definition," discrimination, is not illegal. I am wondering if have you read all of the posts to the link you provided above? I did. I ask b/c I don't believe the original poster told us everything. For example, first its the co-sponsor, then its the new employer that doesn't exist yet, then talks about getting married first - this poster is all over the place. There is a lot of info. missing here. I also ask b/c poster #6 to that message replied as follows:

"Wait, what? Everything I've read so far has indicated that Co-Sponsors *are* fine to use for the I-134 portion of the K-1 process. You're saying that they are not, or you were told they are not?

Here is what the FAQ For the I-134 on this very site says:

"Not having adequate income will not usually be a problem if you have a co-sponsor, according to experiences

posted on the newsgroup, as long as the co-sponsor has adequate income/assets."

Am I missing something, here?"

Wow, is this true? I have not read it. I am a member of two yahoo groups about Fil-Am relationships since mid-2007. One of these groups, I won't promote it here but I discuss it on my time line page, deals specifically with Americans who wish to immigrate Filipino/a's either by the fiance visa or the spousal visa. While it is not an everyday occurrence many people have used co-sponsors and all of the successful journeys went through the manila embassy, the only US embassy in the Phil. I have read about an unemployed son using mom and dad as a co-sponsor, many disabled men using their kid or kids as co-sponsors, just to name a few and all were successful. I still believe that, at issue, is more than needing a co-sponsor, like job history, criminal history, providing the required information and documentation, IRS documentation required and not provided, or questionable evidence or documentation provided. Heck, it is the USCIS that provides the ability to use a co-sponsor. And, then the USCIS is going to tell me that a co-sponsor is not allowed... I don't think so. Probably just like you I have also read many, many tales of how the guy and his gal got screwed over by the USCIS. I quit. This horse has been beaten to death. May it rest in peace. As I read on your timeline page, you journey is just beginning... I wish you the best of luck with your journey.

Regards,

Sid

I have NOT heard officially from the Manila embassy that a co-sponser for the I-134 is not allowed. Just heard that some are being denied for that reason. Not all, but some. You can also send an email to the embassy to ask if a co-sponser is allowed for the I-134 AOS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.