Elisinha

When do you change your name?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys,

I just got married this Saturday.. yeah!!!!! lol ...

I am just wondering when you change my name after i get my marriage certificate...

I called the SSN office in Orlando and they said I can have a SSN no problem, BUT, my name won't change till I bring a copy f my green card.. When is this right? It sounds sound right to me as I have heard friend from another state that has applied for a SSN after getting married and have their name changed on their SSN..Not sure what to do.

The lady said even if I am married my name will come as it is on the DHS system, the same name is on my I-94 which is my single name.. :blush::help::wacko:

Anyone has experienced that?

Thanks,

Cam & Ellie

Hi guys,

I just got married this Saturday.. yeah!!!!! lol ...

I am just wondering when you change my name after i get my marriage certificate...

I called the SSN office in Orlando and they said I can have a SSN no problem, BUT, my name won't change till I bring a copy f my green card.. When is this right? It sounds sound right to me as I have heard friend from another state that has applied for a SSN after getting married and have their name changed on their SSN..Not sure what to do.

The lady said even if I am married my name will come as it is on the DHS system, the same name is on my I-94 which is my single name.. :blush::help::wacko:

Anyone has experienced that?

Thanks,

I guess it depends on what state you were married in. Here, in Georgia, you put the name you want on the marriage license. As soon as the marriage is official, that is your new name. We got married four days after she arrived, so her Social Security card was in her married name at first issue.

When we applied for AOS we applied in her married name and her green card and EAD are in her married name.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

First, congratulations on your marriage!

There is no way to change your name in one central database. You will need to change your name on all documents and your marriage certificate is the document that allows you to change your name everywhere.

Make sure you complete your AOS paperwork in your new married name and not your maiden. Your GC is issued under the name on your forms by default. And once issued, you have to pay $450 to change it or wait until ROC. Once you have your GC, you can go change your name with Social Security. As for driver's license, it depends on your state. You might be able to apply with your GC pending or not.

As for your Canadian documents, you can travel with your passport in your maiden name and GC in married name. Just make sure you keep a copy of your marriage certificate and always book your flights with your name as it appears in your passport. Shoudl you want to get a new passport, you need to file the long form provided on their website and will need a guarantor's signature.

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you SF2007, it was a beautiful ceremony at the beach ;) ...

Yeah, that information about not be able to change your name with your marriage certificate doesn't sound right. So, can you do that even if your marriage certificate doesn't come with your new name?

I know most states you can put your "new" name on the marriage license, but here in Orlando is different, I was asked for that. My marriage certificate is coming in two weeks.. I have to wait!

Thanks

Cam & Ellie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.