Dina

Choices

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

The hubster should be getting his visa tomorrow, the mailman left a note that he has mail, he's pretty sure it has tob e the visa. Our 2nd anniversary is on November 5th. The debate is, should he come in next week as a CR1 and we'll have to do the AOS in 2 years (less 3 months) or should we hold off until after our anniversary so that he can enter as an IR1 so we don't have to bother with the AOS. That is, assuming I am understanding things correctly.

I'd appreciate any advice, what would you do? Thanks, as always, your help is much appreciated. :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would absolutely without question wait until after November 5. The less hassle of immigration forms and fees and bureaucracy the better!! Unless he is urgently needed here, I would wait.

If he does wait of course he should make really sure that they process him with the proper status when he arrives!

The hubster should be getting his visa tomorrow, the mailman left a note that he has mail, he's pretty sure it has tob e the visa. Our 2nd anniversary is on November 5th. The debate is, should he come in next week as a CR1 and we'll have to do the AOS in 2 years (less 3 months) or should we hold off until after our anniversary so that he can enter as an IR1 so we don't have to bother with the AOS. That is, assuming I am understanding things correctly.

I'd appreciate any advice, what would you do? Thanks, as always, your help is much appreciated. :)

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
I would absolutely without question wait until after November 5. The less hassle of immigration forms and fees and bureaucracy the better!! Unless he is urgently needed here, I would wait.

If he does wait of course he should make really sure that they process him with the proper status when he arrives!

I agree 100 percent to wait out the two weeks but to make sure that he gets the correct stamp at his POE.

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well, he won't be doing AOS as a result of being a CR-1.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm

Welcome

Now that you have become a Permanent Resident of the United States we would like to welcome and congratulate you on your accomplishment.

Some of you may be CONDITIONAL RESIDENTS. This page applies equally to you while you are in conditional resident status. The difference between you and an unconditioned permanent resident is that your permanent resident status will expire in two years from when it was given, unless you successfully petition to have the condition removed. Those of you with conditional permanent residence either received your residence through a marriage relationship where the marriage was less than two years old at the time you became a Permanent Resident,

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm

How Do I Remove the Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage?

You and your spouse must apply together to remove the conditions on your residence. You should apply during the 90 days before your second anniversary as a conditional resident. The expiration date on your alien registration card (commonly know as green card) is also the date of your second anniversary as a conditional resident. If you do not apply to remove the conditions in time, you could lose your conditional resident status and be removed from the country

I-751 is a simple petition; it's most painful part is the filing fee. Yoiu include simple, everyday evidence of your shared marital life.

Just so you know what you're avoiding. :)

If you do choose to wait, take MaryandMian's warning and be prepared to discuss it with the Border Agent and have evidence of the wedding date etc on hand.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

After working my A$$ off to prove my marriage is valid the first time there is no way I would let 2 weeks stop me from avoiding the hastle again. Of course this really is a personal decision, but for me...NO WAY!

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
After working my A$$ off to prove my marriage is valid the first time there is no way I would let 2 weeks stop me from avoiding the hastle again. Of course this really is a personal decision, but for me...NO WAY!

So that everyone is very clear on the I-751 and "proving yourselves" again...

The I-751 Removal of Conditions phase is nothing like the visa application process or the Adjustment of Status process. The only proving that is done is a collection of 7-100 pages of common, everyday documents that everyone will have, showing that you live with and are financially entwined with your spouse. That and about 200 bucks appears to be enough to convince the gov't that someone passed a really lame law.. I mean, to convince the gov't that you are a genuinely married couple.

I appreciate that even that might be more than someone wants to open themselves up for, but I don't want anyone to have the mistaken idea that the I-751 is hard in any way.

:)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.