*Gi*

Co-Sponsorship vs. letter of employment

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

-(this is the petitioner speaking)- I told my Fiancé not to post on these forums because most people on here are much less informed than we are. We already know the answers to these questions but my fiancé likes to be thorough with everything ;0. Anyhow, we will not be lying about anything in our paperwork as I will be getting a letter of employment from from parent's business as they are in need of a replacement employee since their last employee was let go. Sorry to waste your time as we do not have any questions here.

It probably doesnt matter to you now but if you read what G wrote it does seem to suggest you intended to say you ARE working for your mother. Ahn Map is a well informed and respected member here that was responding to what is written. Some people may not be well informed but he isnt one of them.

I dont think you have wasted anyones time if you or your fiance gained some insight. For example the fact that BKK almost never accepts co sponsors. This is a very important point in your case. If you truly knew the answers to all of this maybe she should have just discussed these matters with you. It is odd to me that you have petitioned for a K 1 knowing they may not accept a co sponsor. Then again maybe you do know more than we do.

Timeline

I'm sure you already know the consulates review these message boards? Now that you have posted your timeline and photo... :pop:

By the way, why not get married in Bangkok, and in 6 months file the DCF?

He would have to be a legal resident for 6 months to be able to file DCF. That would require a O visa or similar.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Also sorry if my reply was snarky. But a few things. Having a letter, from his mom's company, promising a job, isn't going to be worth very much to the consulate or embassy. They are going to want to see previous income, last years tax return, so a vague promise of future work, from his mom, isn't going to be very strong evidence I'm afraid. I'm not saying it won't help, but it might not be enough.

I agree with the other woefully uninformed of us here (really, your fiancé didn't help with that comment) that filing an i-864 along with the I-34 might help if you try and get them to take a co-sponsor. Unfortunately it seems the Asian countries are much less likely to accept them.

You could try both, have his mom co-sponsor AND have her write a letter if she really intends to offer him a job in the states.

I'm still not sure it's enough. But if you go the CR-1 route and get married before, then they are required to take a co-sponsor.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

He would have to be a legal resident for 6 months to be able to file DCF. That would require a O visa or similar.

Good point, the wait is 6+ months either way if perhaps marriage and the standard cr-1. Point being the 864 seems to be preferred to consulates who don't often accept the 134.

Timeline

Also sorry if my reply was snarky. But a few things. Having a letter, from his mom's company, promising a job, isn't going to be worth very much to the consulate or embassy. They are going to want to see previous income, last years tax return, so a vague promise of future work, from his mom, isn't going to be very strong evidence I'm afraid. I'm not saying it won't help, but it might not be enough.

I agree with the other woefully uninformed of us here (really, your fiancé didn't help with that comment) that filing an i-864 along with the I-34 might help if you try and get them to take a co-sponsor. Unfortunately it seems the Asian countries are much less likely to accept them.

You could try both, have his mom co-sponsor AND have her write a letter if she really intends to offer him a job in the states.

I'm still not sure it's enough. But if you go the CR-1 route and get married before, then they are required to take a co-sponsor.

I think it depends on mom's business. If they show she has or had other employees making X amount of $, it would seem legit for children to join the family business at some point if they so desired. But yes, in this case he may need a little more then a letter of employment and they may want to dig into mom's books / tax returns etc... for further crediable evidence of a strong job offer.

Timeline

Good point, the wait is 6+ months either way if perhaps marriage and the standard cr-1. Point being the 864 seems to be preferred to consulates who don't often accept the 134.

The 134 is accepted by BKK in every K 1 case I have seen for over 5 years. What is important here is to understand they dont often accept co sponsors. to have a chance the planned approach must be near perfect.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well if he as no job, and no income, the I-134 certainly isn't going to be accepted at ANY embassy.

My point is, if he prepares his own I-134, and has no income, but has a letter from his mom promising him a job, it might look mighty suspicious is all. Worth a shot for sure. But the timing might just seem a bit suspicious I mean.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Well if he as no job, and no income, the I-134 certainly isn't going to be accepted at ANY embassy.

My point is, if he prepares his own I-134, and has no income, but has a letter from his mom promising him a job, it might look mighty suspicious is all. Worth a shot for sure. But the timing might just seem a bit suspicious I mean.

Exactly. Having no income, no assets to qualify on and only a promise of a future job from your own mother does not meet the requirements for the affidavit of support. Perhaps the CO's discretion will stretch quite a lot in their favor anyway. They are more informed than any of us though, so what would we know about it? :whistle:

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

The 134 is accepted by BKK in every K 1 case I have seen for over 5 years. What is important here is to understand they dont often accept co sponsors. to have a chance the planned approach must be near perfect.

Yes, this is what i meant. thank you. Personally, i'de dump the 129, get married and file the cr1. This way mom and dad can sure help with the 864. Though, I think there is legit chance of being accepted with the K, why take the chance unless you are willing to wait it out and go the cr-1 route after a (who knows at what percent?) potential denial.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.