Karee

Cambodia

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

When I did visa runs, she refused to walk over the bridge. They had a thing on CNN about Kampucea. She wouldn't watch it. I know some bad sh$t went down there, but she hates that place, even though she speaks the language.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

What bridge are you talking about?

3-5-2011: I-129F Sent

3-9-2011: NOA1

6-24-2011: NOA2

6-30-2011: NOA2 Hard Copy

7-19-2011: Received Case Number from NVC

08-08-2011: Sent Packet 3 to Embassy

09-12-2011: Received Packet 4 Instructions

09-28-2011: Interview: Approved

10-06-2011: Point of Entry

11-03-2011: Married

AOS:

11-17-2011: Filed AOS Packet

12-09-2011: AOS Check Cashed

01-01-2012: Biometrics

01-31-2012: Received EAD

07-20-2012: AOS Approved

08-01-2012: Received Green Card

Timeline

Over the last five years or so there has been strong tension between the two nations. Ostensibly it is over an ancient temple at a disputed border. However, the conflict runs deeper. Similarly many Thai have a distaste for Burmese and some even dislike Laotians. Hundreds of years of conquest and conflict have not helped.

Thai are also notorious for looking down on those of darker complexion and deifying the white skinned (just watch Thai TV). Of course there are plenty of liberal Thai who do not see it this way, but there are still plenty who do. Even among the more affluent and educated, there runs a vain of prejudice. I still don't get the contempt for Indians in Thailand, since they had been the bearers of culture who brought Hindu and Buddhist teachings, including written language, hundreds of years ago.

Perhaps you could speak with her about her feelings regarding Cambodians to get a sense of her reservations about them.

Timeline

Over the last five years or so there has been strong tension between the two nations. Ostensibly it is over an ancient temple at a disputed border. However, the conflict runs deeper. Similarly many Thai have a distaste for Burmese and some even dislike Laotians. Hundreds of years of conquest and conflict have not helped.

Thai are also notorious for looking down on those of darker complexion and deifying the white skinned (just watch Thai TV). Of course there are plenty of liberal Thai who do not see it this way, but there are still plenty who do. Even among the more affluent and educated, there runs a vain of prejudice. I still don't get the contempt for Indians in Thailand, since they had been the bearers of culture who brought Hindu and Buddhist teachings, including written language, hundreds of years ago.

Perhaps you could speak with her about her feelings regarding Cambodians to get a sense of her reservations about them.

I think it has to do with the Khmer Rouge. I don't think she has a problem with the people per se, but she wont walk across that bridge... ever. She just tells me "not your problem, why you care?" I leave it at that.

I have bigger battles. Get me a beer!!!

:innocent:

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.