tberta.brooks

Highlights from Jamaica Trip (venting)

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi yall, I am home from my trip with my future . . . and wanted to share my experience. Basically, I had a good time and I am just as much in love as ever. He is a wonderful guy and I am sure that once he gets to america we will fit together well like a needle and thread. I wanted to thank everyone for telling me about that bus service from Kingston. It was comfortable, reliable and clean . . . I took it from Ochie to Kingston.

Let me tell you about what happened on the flight down . . . while 30 minutes into the flight from Fla to Jamaica the plane developed engine problems and as a procaution we were forced to turn around and return to Fla. Once on the ground we have to wait another 2 hours for a different plane to arrive to complete the trip. This significant delay through off all of my travel arrangments from Kingston to Ochie (that I had planned so well in advance). I met the taxi cab driver, from On time taxi, a Mr. Vernon . . . well, first because the plane was so delayed he wanted to charge me extra . . like it was my fault. Mr. Vernon indicated that I would not make the last bus from Kingston and suggested that I take the city bus . . . WRONG MOVE. He dropped me off at the Kingston "bus" terminal in downtown. Now anyone who has been at this place knows that it is just a gathering place where buses pick up people. It looked like a cross between a trash dump and a swap meet. I was like a fish out of water. Me with my shiny suitcase, laptop and other items which showed that I had just got off of a plane. . . anyways, I waited and when the "bus" finally did show up the people rushed it like a wild animals . . . I have NEVER seen anything like it. There was NO orderly NOTHING. People were sitting on top of each other and squeezed up. I was afraid they were going to steal my luggage cause I one point I was in the bus and my stuff was out . . . .anyways, I got mad and pushed my way off and went and got another taxi to take me to Spanish Town where I caught a "van". This taxi driver was very nice and did not just drop me off . . . actually, spoke to the van driver and explained the situation. Well, you know that because I had luggage I had to pay double and we waited an additional 40 minutes for the entire van to fill up before we left . . . I finally arrived to my guy (who was pissed off and worried, cause he felt I should have let my future brother in law pick me up for $100 US) about 9:30 p.m. Otherwise, I had a great time and looking forward to seeing him again in October . . . missing him . . :crying:(F)(L):luv:

Vickie

"Challenges are what make life interesting;

overcoming them is what makes life meaningful"- Joshua J. Marine

Timeline

Good for you to get to see your man! Bad for you to have to come back home to the dreadful awaiting of the NOA2... If I don't have NOA2 by August sometime, I am going back to Jamaica for my birthday on Sep 12!! In one way I want NOA2 to hurry up and in another way, I wouldn't mind going back again... Anywho, glad you had a great trip!!

November 19, 2010 - Met for the first time on first trip to JA

February 2011 - Second trip to JA

May 2011 - Third trip to JA

February 10, 2012 - Engaged on Fourth trip to JA

February 13, 2012 – I-129F Mailed: VSC

February 22, 2012 – NOA1

August 10, 2012 – NOA2

August 17, 2012 - NVC received

August 23, 2012 - Jamaican Consulate received

August 30, 2012 – emailed DS-230

August 31, 2012 - Consulate verified receipt of DS-230 by email

September 17, 2012 - Packet 4 received

October 4, 2012 - Medical Appointment

October 19, 2012 - Interview

:rofl: That was a very funny recap of your first experience of downtown. That right there was what we wanted to save you from but it was unavoidable. Lesson learned? Next time just try to get a flight that reaches Ja by 11am so that if you miss the 1pm/2pm bus you can try and get on the one that leaves at 4pm/5pm.

About your October trip. If you plan to use Knutsford again from the 12th - 16th, you really need to secure your seat cause it should be quite busy then.

Don't if you know the bus ticket you didn't use should be valid for 6 months. Call the service to find out your options in regards to your unused ticket.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am so glad you enjoyed yourself otherwise. Imcan't wait to go in three weeks for my birthday. Lord, let me make it through the heat and the mosquitos. It should be a good time, I want to go to the 50th year celebration events.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline

Hi yall, I am home from my trip with my future . . . and wanted to share my experience. Basically, I had a good time and I am just as much in love as ever. He is a wonderful guy and I am sure that once he gets to america we will fit together well like a needle and thread. I wanted to thank everyone for telling me about that bus service from Kingston. It was comfortable, reliable and clean . . . I took it from Ochie to Kingston.

Let me tell you about what happened on the flight down . . . while 30 minutes into the flight from Fla to Jamaica the plane developed engine problems and as a procaution we were forced to turn around and return to Fla. Once on the ground we have to wait another 2 hours for a different plane to arrive to complete the trip. This significant delay through off all of my travel arrangments from Kingston to Ochie (that I had planned so well in advance). I met the taxi cab driver, from On time taxi, a Mr. Vernon . . . well, first because the plane was so delayed he wanted to charge me extra . . like it was my fault. Mr. Vernon indicated that I would not make the last bus from Kingston and suggested that I take the city bus . . . WRONG MOVE. He dropped me off at the Kingston "bus" terminal in downtown. Now anyone who has been at this place knows that it is just a gathering place where buses pick up people. It looked like a cross between a trash dump and a swap meet. I was like a fish out of water. Me with my shiny suitcase, laptop and other items which showed that I had just got off of a plane. . . anyways, I waited and when the "bus" finally did show up the people rushed it like a wild animals . . . I have NEVER seen anything like it. There was NO orderly NOTHING. People were sitting on top of each other and squeezed up. I was afraid they were going to steal my luggage cause I one point I was in the bus and my stuff was out . . . .anyways, I got mad and pushed my way off and went and got another taxi to take me to Spanish Town where I caught a "van". This taxi driver was very nice and did not just drop me off . . . actually, spoke to the van driver and explained the situation. Well, you know that because I had luggage I had to pay double and we waited an additional 40 minutes for the entire van to fill up before we left . . . I finally arrived to my guy (who was pissed off and worried, cause he felt I should have let my future brother in law pick me up for $100 US) about 9:30 p.m. Otherwise, I had a great time and looking forward to seeing him again in October . . . missing him . . :crying:(F)(L):luv:

He was right. It would have been better if you had paid the US$100 be be picked up from the airport and taken to Ocho Rios. No hassle and headaches. you would have also saved a lot of time. I dont agree with the suggestion that you should have used Knutsford Express bus service because they do not pick you up from the airport. You would have to take something from the airport to go to Knutsford Office to get the bus. Hope its better next time.

Petitioner LPR upgraded to USC June 22, 2012
August 22, 2012: case complete
October 18, 2012: Interview (APPROVED)
October 26, 2012: Picked up visa from DHL (delay caused by Sandy)
December 15, 2012: POE Atlanta....................became USC July 2016!!!!

Mothers' Journey (My sister is the petitioner)

September 10, 2013: Sent I-130 (UPS next day service)

September 12, 2013: Received text to confirm delivery

September 16, 2013: Received NOA 1

March 22, 2014: Received NOA 2

April 8, 2014: File Received by NVC

May 26, 2015: Interview (approved)..........now LPR (delays caused by 2 RFE)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

my recommendation is if ur going to go to ocho rios fly into sangster airport (montego bay), its closer, more flight options, and knutsford express is located at the airport...drive is also shorter and smoother

viBYm5.png

PD January 6. 2012

Timeline

Welcome back from JA. I;m glad you had a good time. I had to laugh when I read your comment about the buses in JA... When I was down in March I rode a few, it was a very interesting experience to say the least. Lol...

USCIS

2-27-12: Mailed I-129F Package to TX Lockbox

3-01-12: UPS Delivery Confirmation Received

3-06-12: NOA1 Text/Email - Application has been sent to Vermont

3-09-12: NOA1 Hard Copy Received

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

He was right. It would have been better if you had paid the US$100 be be picked up from the airport and taken to Ocho Rios. No hassle and headaches. you would have also saved a lot of time. I dont agree with the suggestion that you should have used Knutsford Express bus service because they do not pick you up from the airport. You would have to take something from the airport to go to Knutsford Office to get the bus. Hope its better next time.

I think the OP asked for suggestions on a less costly alternative and they were given to her. Knutsford is still a recommended way, but it always came with the caveat about transferring from the airport to the terminal. She was clearly told about the challenges in transferring from the airport to the Knutsford bus terminal.

Glad you had an enjoyable time, regardless of the mishap with the bus. As a Jamaican myself, I would be cautious to recommend or suggest that a tourist take the local buses. I've never flown into Kingston unless I have my fiance, friends or family picking me up. Flying into Montego Bay is much smoother and overall better way to get to Ochi.

K1
VSC NOA1 --- March 8, 2012
NOA2 --- October 11, 2012
Visa Approved --- December 17, 2012
POE --- December 22, 2012

AOS
AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 --- March 4, 2013
Biometrics --- April 3, 2013

EAD/AP received --- May 16, 2013

AOS Interview --- August 9, 2013

GC in production --- August 9, 2013

GC received --- August 17, 2013

N400

Approved May, 2018

Oath May, 2018

I130 - Nebraska SC

NOA1 - August 30, 2018

Case approved - August 28, 2019

NVC -

Interview -

I am the USC who brought my fiancé here on a K1,  who's now a USC and is now filing for his mother - whose case just got approved :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.