aitheng

Financial question related to visa and process

4 posts in this topic

What are the obligations of employment with the IR1/CR1 visa if any - for both the sponsor and visa holder?

Sooner or later we will be applying for an IR1/CR1. I may be able to swing the cash sum of about 60k for the sponsorship but in all likelihood I will not have 60K of cash money sitting about doing nothing. Further, that I understand is roughly the minimum.

As we live overseas, I have no job in the US.

My parents have agreed to joint sponsor.

When during the process is my financial situation reviewed and at that time if the sponsor/self show adequate means, approved? Is our business with the USCIS finished after we have the visa in hand or are there further checks to show she (we) are working in some capacity? Check on her or us to see that she is not a public charge? Meetings, reviews, send in current years tax forms...?

Is there any specific amount of money that I or we have to make annually and how is this checked?

I ask primarily because returning to the US I have a lot more opportunity to make money in my own business. This will take time to get off the ground; but if I am beholden to someone for a wage, I will be looking at entry level salaries.

Is there any obligation for her - or myself to even work or is that covered by the joint sponsorship? What if I cannot find a job with a reasonable wage?

What are the obligations of employment with this visa if any to the US govt and USCIS? Surely people must apply for a spouse visa and the spouse arrives in the US and simply keeps house.

Thank you

Edited by aitheng

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

In order to qualify as the sponsor you need to provide the transcripts of your last tax returns. It is not about the money you have in your bank account. It is about how much money you make with your employment.

If you currently live outside the US, chances are you will need a co-sponsor, who in this case can be your parents, provided they live in the US and meet the minimum requirement for income.

Check out the link below with more info on the Affidavit of Support:

http://travel.state....nfo_3183.html#5

Good luck!

Edited by Gegel

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The petitioner needs to establish a US domicile.

Petitioner needs to show that they have files US income tax returns for the past 3 years or explain why they were not required to file. (US taxes on worldwide income)

Petitioner is the primary sponsor regardless of income. If needed, you can use a joint sponsor.

The page link given above had a lot of good information. The form I-864 instructions should also be studied.

The I-864P Poverty Level link in my signature below will show you the income requirements.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Yes, thanks. I have all that.

Establishing a domicile - done. I have always kept a mailing address and bank accounts in US

Filed back taxes, 2yrs, Will file next year current. $$ under level needed to file.

Parents will joint sponsor as I do quite have 60k cash, excluding other investments and IRA.

But my question is - after we obtain the visa, is there any ongoing income check/verification? Will I be free to start my own business and live with my folks for a year+ OR...must I get out and get a standard W2 wage job (@ 19K per annum?) ?

What about her? Could we work together immediately or does she need a W2 standard wage job?

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.