pascanda

opening a joint bank account in nigeria

26 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Has anyone been successful opening a joint bank account without possessing a resident permit (fr Th€ USC)? My husband and I tried to open a joint bank account yesterday and were not successful due to Th€ fact I don't have a resident permit card. I do have a multiple entry visa valid fr 1 year plus Th€ previous visas used to enter Nigeria in Th€ last year. Any help would be appreciated. ‎​ust so you know, we went to First Bank.

Skye Bank is where my husband had an account and after we were married he added me to his account. We simply took our marriage certificates.

I am also going to work on a Nigerian Passport (cost around 100-150 USD) when I go back for my husabnds interview. We will travel back and forth and will have dual passports to do so without having to obtain visa's everytime.

I also have a multiple visa. But as you know, they are usually good for only up to one year unless you get state you are married (send a copy of marriage certificate) and pay for another visa...but visa costs are climbing.

God bless.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The problem or one of the problems with using a Nigerian passport to enter , you will not be able to requst assistance from the US embassy if something goes wrong as you are considered a Nigerian citizen in your home country when you hold a Nigerian passport

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

If you are married, you should just take your marriage license as proof and be able to open a joint account (unless the rules have changed). My husband was able to add me onto his account before we were even married. We have joint accounts at GTB (both Naira and Dorm/Dollar accounts).

In regards to the visa vs. passport issue. Once you are married you can get an indefinite Nigerwife Visa for no cost. I have one, it cost us nothing and it never expires. They even allow me to use the Nigerian resident line at immigration at the airport sometimes. :thumbs: Depending on which flight you are on and which airport you fly into sometimes this line is shorter or cleared quicker.

Filed: Timeline

The problem or one of the problems with using a Nigerian passport to enter , you will not be able to requst assistance from the US embassy if something goes wrong as you are considered a Nigerian citizen in your home country when you hold a Nigerian passport

An interesting quagmire but for a country as volatile as Nigeria it requries to be pondered deeply.

Timeline

Man I would have been jacked up than if I had one last year when I had to go to Embassy and get assistance to be flown home (Money stolen out of account). So WOW.

In regards to the visa vs. passport issue. Once you are married you can get an indefinite Nigerwife Visa for no cost. I have one, it cost us nothing and it never expires. They even allow me to use the Nigerian resident line at immigration at the airport sometimes. :thumbs: Depending on which flight you are on and which airport you fly into sometimes this line is shorter or cleared quicker.

WOW no cost in Nigeria!! Hmm never heard of that one and i have inquired and inquired even have friends at immigration there. Okay thanks for info.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Yup that is one of the drawbacks of duel citizenship. Any other country it is US embassy to the rescue because you are a visitor but if you are "home" it is hands off. That also applies to emergency evacuation due to nature or military action.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

If you are married, you should just take your marriage license as proof and be able to open a joint account (unless the rules have changed). My husband was able to add me onto his account before we were even married. We have joint accounts at GTB (both Naira and Dorm/Dollar accounts).

Nigerwife are you sure of the naming of this? My husband was at immigration with his brother for passport and asked they had no clue what they were saying and thought it a joke especially when they said no cost.

This sure is the first I heard of it. How long ago was this?

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Nigerwife are you sure of the naming of this? My husband was at immigration with his brother for passport and asked they had no clue what they were saying and thought it a joke especially when they said no cost.

Well, this is what I found on the subject:

NigerwivesVisa

CERPAC

And This:

Nigerwivesnigeria.com

Hope this is what you were needing :thumbs:

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

Timeline

I'm not sure Nigerwife is the "official" name, but that it how they referred to it in our local immigration office in Plateau State. It is a version of the CERPAC visa. Which, as dwheels76 pointed out, is a residency visa status. I got mine about three years ago. It is still valid and I most recently used it on a trip in March of this year.

http://www.immigration.gov.ng/index.php?id=7 Scroll down about mid-page where it talks about Special Immigration Status.

Timeline

Excerpt from Nigerwivesnigerian.com:

In 1982 we obtained a letter from the Immigration Department stating that:

Non-Commonwealth citizens who were Nigerwives were not required to register as aliens.

Nigerwives did not require a work permit to be included in a company’s expatriate quota.

Nigerwives were entitled to an indefinite residence permit and re-entry visa.

Nigerwives who were widows, divorced or separated from their husbands would have their cases for continued residence in the country decided on an individual basis

Yeah we still need a visa, but we are entitled to an indefinite re-entry visa (same as multiple entry visa??)...

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

Excerpt from Nigerwivesnigerian.com:

In 1982 we obtained a letter from the Immigration Department stating that:

Non-Commonwealth citizens who were Nigerwives were not required to register as aliens.

Nigerwives did not require a work permit to be included in a company's expatriate quota.

Nigerwives were entitled to an indefinite residence permit and re-entry visa.

Nigerwives who were widows, divorced or separated from their husbands would have their cases for continued residence in the country decided on an individual basis

Yeah we still need a visa, but we are entitled to an indefinite re-entry visa (same as multiple entry visa??)...

That link was very helpful. I am leaving for Nigeria in 2 weeks. This time when I applied for a visa, they gave me 2 year multiple visa, but I did not know that I could have gotten a perment it re-entry visa. I guess I need to ask about that this time when I go. I will post on here, what ever I find out. And thanks for the link.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.