rik.caitlin

I-130 visa interview (arrested at 15yoa)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Im hoping someone can help me with this enquiry. I will start by explaining my circumstance and go from there.

When i was 15 years of age i was arrested for criminal damage. I was just being a silly naive adolescent throwing stones and one happened to smash a window, regardless of naivety i was arrested and had to attend court where i was ordered to pay for the damages and received a minimal amount of community service. As i was under the age of 18 i did not receive a criminal record but a referral order that expired after 2 years (when i was 17) so now i have no criminal record but i still have to declare i was arrested.

Since 2010 i have received 3 separate J1 visas to work and study in the US, however, each time i applied for one i had to attend a 'special' interview called a VCU interview. It's such an inconvenience because i had to travel to London each time to attend this interview. I guess i'm reaping what i sowed though.

Anyway, this past march my fiancee and i got married (woohoo (: ) in Virginia but i had to return to the UK to finish school and obviously apply for a visa. We are currently working through all of the I-130 paperwork and supporting documents, all of which we now have.

My question is - when filing the I-130 is there a particular procedure we have to follow as i was arrested, how and when do i declare it, will i need to attend a different interview than normal?

Any help you can offer will be super appreciated.

You will need a police check (everyone does) and copies of all info pertaining to your case. You will have an interview regardless, and it shouldn't have an impact.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Im hoping someone can help me with this enquiry. I will start by explaining my circumstance and go from there.

When i was 15 years of age i was arrested for criminal damage. I was just being a silly naive adolescent throwing stones and one happened to smash a window, regardless of naivety i was arrested and had to attend court where i was ordered to pay for the damages and received a minimal amount of community service. As i was under the age of 18 i did not receive a criminal record but a referral order that expired after 2 years (when i was 17) so now i have no criminal record but i still have to declare i was arrested.

Since 2010 i have received 3 separate J1 visas to work and study in the US, however, each time i applied for one i had to attend a 'special' interview called a VCU interview. It's such an inconvenience because i had to travel to London each time to attend this interview. I guess i'm reaping what i sowed though.

Anyway, this past march my fiancee and i got married (woohoo (: ) in Virginia but i had to return to the UK to finish school and obviously apply for a visa. We are currently working through all of the I-130 paperwork and supporting documents, all of which we now have.

My question is - when filing the I-130 is there a particular procedure we have to follow as i was arrested, how and when do i declare it, will i need to attend a different interview than normal?

Any help you can offer will be super appreciated.

Why dont you just get an expungment of your juvenile record. Juvenile records usually are keep confidential. I suggest you expunge your record.

AOS
2013-04-16 Sent AOS Package VIA EXPRESS MAIL
2013-04-17 Delivered at Chicago IL
2013-04-24 Emailed Received @11:52 pm.
2013-04-24 Check Cashed
2013-04-24 NOA1 Date
2013-04-29 NOA1 Receipt in Mail
2013-05-03 Receipt of BIO Appt. for 05/23/13
2013-06-14 EA/AP Approved Email Receipt and Card Production
2013-06-19 EA Card Production (2nd Email)
2013-06-21 Receive Email that EA was mailed
2013-06-21 Received Email with Tracking number for Post Office for EA
2013-06-24 Received Combo Card
2013-08-02 Received Possible Interview Waiver Letter
2013-11-21 Service Request Requested local office working on May 2,2013
2013-11-26 Received Email GC Production
2013-12-02 Received Email Mailed GC to address on file
2013-12-02 Received Email with Tracking Number & Welcome Letter
2013-12-04 Received GC Yayyyyyyyy
LIFTING CONDITIONS
2015-08-05 Received Letter to File to Remove Conditions
2015-08-28 Mail i751 Package VIA EXPRESS MAIL
2015-08-29 Received at VERMONT SERVICE CENTER
2015-09-02 Check Cashed
2015-09-17 Received Bio Appt. for 09/28/15 Letter dated 09/12/15
2016-06-03 Received Letter that case was Approved dated 05/27/16

2016-06-03 Card Production Text

2016-06-08 Card Mailed Out Text and Email

2016-06-09 Card Delivered Text and Email (Nothing in Mail)

2016-06-09 Called USPS Open investigation on Missing Mail

2016-06-10 Card in Hand YAYYYYY

event.png

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

At some point you will have to answer questions in regards to your 'criminal' past. It will not impair your application in any way, provided that you have served your time. There is no special procedure because of that episode in your life, other than at some point you need to be prepared to talk about it. We all were teenagers at some point and we all did something stupid, so do not worry too much about it. If your record in Britain is clear of any pending sentences, you are fine.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Why dont you just get an expungment of your juvenile record. Juvenile records usually are keep confidential. I suggest you expunge your record.

Thanks for your response. Is it possible to expunge a record in the UK? everything on the internet regarding expunging a juvenile record is referring to US juvenile records?

You will need a police check (everyone does) and copies of all info pertaining to your case. You will have an interview regardless, and it shouldn't have an impact.

Thanks for the info. I had a check (ACPO) last may so im guessing i need to get a new one for the I-130 this year? The info in my possession pertaining to my arrest and fine is receipt of money received by the court, referral order completion letter from the youth offending team. Do you think that will suffice?

Expunged or not, US immigration is going to want to know about it, especially since it's already come up in prior immigration-related interviews. Don't bother trying to get this removed from your record just for immigration purposes. If it wasn't a problem for J visas, it's not going to be a problem for your K1. Juvenile criminal issues as minor as this one are not a problem, aren't CIMTs, and don't require a waiver, just clear documentation on what happened so immigration knows not to make an issue of it. Since you've already dealt with it in the past, it should be fairly easy to deal with again if it comes up, provided you have the relevant records.

Long story short, we have a complicated case. We've been at this for nearly 5 years. You can read our story here. I highly recommend our attorney Laurel Scott, as well as attorneys Laura Fernandez and Lizz Cannon .

Filed I-130 via CSC in Feb 2008. Petition approved June 2008. Consular interview in Mexico, Oct 2008, visa denied, INA 212a6cii. We allege improper application of the law in this case.

2012, started over in Seoul: I-130 filed DCF on 7/2, I-130 approved 8/8, Medical at Yonsei Severance 11/20, IR1 appointment in November 2012.

CRBA filed 1-3-13 at Seoul for our daughter

4MLHm5.pngCzLqp9.png

You can find me at

Immigrate2us.net as Los G :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.