Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Sounds more like Zlabia .... are you sure it's not Zlabia?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvYVh1B_OgU

Well, the cookbook calls it haloua chebbakia, but what you posted is definitely what Jamal knows as chebbakia. Yes, the recipe I had is cooked like funnel cake.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Not a ME/NA food, but very tasty and very easy to make.

Quick Asparagus Lasgana

2814193212_2aee202e95.jpg

I made it with asparagus and broccoli.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

mmm shebbakiya is my favorite moroccan food i think! :)

i finally learned to make shebbakiya a few weeks ago at my MIL's home in morocco. shebbakiya are little fried cookies, not a funnel cake at all. her recipe does not call for any flower waters though but the cutting/shaping of her dough looks somewhat similar to yours (i'll post photos when i can) . i do think the flower water could be a good addition as long as you don't put too much.

you can dip them into a honey syrup OR if you don't have honey around you can make a sugar syrup and use that.

i also think roasted sesame seeds are totally necessary as they give great flavor!

in my MIL's recipe she adds ground fennel seed (a large amount), almonds, tumeric, and other spices to give it a great flavor. the kinds of shebbakiya you buy in the streets already made are usually devoid of all the spices except for large amounts of cinnamon to give it the dark coloring.

Edited by sereia

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Dinner tonight :D

Tunisian couscous .. and I made enough to last for about 3 days :P (It wasn't on purpose lol )

b6809s.jpg

That looks good! Looks like someone left you a tip. :lol: I made couscous 3 days ago. It is really hard to make just a little. lol. Our Tunisian friend that runs a restaurant here has couscous on his menu, but it is really spicy and hot. I dont much care for it that hot.

Meriem (F)

Edited by Meriem_setif

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Filed: Timeline

:lol: No tip.. I asked him to go and get me milk :D

This one was a little too spicy - I think too much harissa, but it had good flavor :thumbs:

and you are right, it is soo hard to just make a little.. I have to get up early in the morning and make the 'sweet' couscous again .. I'm gonna be couscous'ed out lol

Dinner tonight :D

Tunisian couscous .. and I made enough to last for about 3 days :P (It wasn't on purpose lol )

b6809s.jpg

That looks good! Looks like someone left you a tip. :lol: I made couscous 3 days ago. It is really hard to make just a little. lol. Our Tunisian friend that runs a restaurant here has couscous on his menu, but it is really spicy and hot. I dont much care for it that hot.

Meriem (F)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Both of those dishes look so good! We had seffa (sweet couscous) for suhour this morning ... I wanted to take a picture but my husband ate it before I could find the camera LOLOL! Then he went back to sleep zzzz!

Ash: I love it hot! Maybe I have some Tunezian blood in me too LOLOLOL!

Rahma: I will have to try out your recipe ... but probably not until spring when there's aspragus here! But looks yummy!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

A Canadian Sister posted this recipe on her blog. I tried it tonight it was wonderful.

Pouding Chomeur ( Poor Man's Cake)

cake.jpg

Cake

1 1/2 cup of flour (all purpose)

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 cup butter

1 cup sugar

1 cup milk

Maple Sauce

1 cup maple syrup

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup boiling water

1/4 cup butter

1 tsp vanilla extract ( halal of course )

Instructions;

preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit

Sift flour and baking powder together in a bowl. Put aside

In a bowl, whip butter and sugar together. then gradually add milk and flour into the mixture alternately.

Pour mixture into a 13x9 inch pan( greased). put aside

In a pot put all the ingredients for the sauce and bring to boil for 2 minutes (stirring often) then pour over the cake mixture. DO NOT MIX.

Bake in oven @ 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 mins

* best served with vanilla ice cream when it's still hot.

Edited by Meriem_setif

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Asbusa (anicent Egyptian version of the Algerian achida)

2lbs cream of wheat

2.5 cups sugar

3/4 lb. butter

16 oz. plain yogurt

slivered almond halves

Bring all ingredients to room temperature. In a large bowl mix sugar and cream of wheat. Add butter, mix by hand, rubbing the buuter, sugar and cream of wheat between your palms for 10 minutes or more until the mixture is very well blended.

Add the yogurt and mix with your hands until the dough feels smooth in your hand. If it feels dry add one tablespoon at a time of water so when you hold it in your hands it feels like pie dough.

Butter a 13x9x2" pan and pat the dough into the pan with your hand. With a sharp knife slice the dough in 2 x 2 inche squares or into diamond shapes.

Press one almond half onto the surface of each piece. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.