saracita

Question about AOS (I-864)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi all,

I am working on getting all the paperwork ready for the Affidavit of Support and had a few questions about what proof of our finances we need to include...

Our situation is this: I am American, husband Swedish, two dual-citizen daughters ages 3 & 6. We are currently living in Sweden but moving to US this fall. I am currently unemployed in Sweden since May and am not planning to work in the US yet... However my husband's company in Sweden has offered him a job in the US with a salary well above the 125% of the poverty limit. In addition, I have enough US assets, so we are going that route instead of getting a co-sponsor, even if my husband's job will cover the income requirement.

In terms of what proof I need to include, this is what I have so far:

- my tax returns for the past 3 years

- statements from my US accounts proving my assests

- a letter from my husband's company stating that they are going to offer him a job when he gets to the US and the salary.

- proof that we intend to establish domicile in the US (letter from my mom stating that we will live with her til we find a place, correspondence with a school about enrollment of our daughter in the fall etc.)

**Questions** -

Do I need to include paystubs from the last few months, or income statements from the past year, from my husband's job, to prove that he is really employed there? It is a swedish company so then information is all in Swedish, although I could translate it.

Anything else I would need to include?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Sarah

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi all,

I am working on getting all the paperwork ready for the Affidavit of Support and had a few questions about what proof of our finances we need to include...

Our situation is this: I am American, husband Swedish, two dual-citizen daughters ages 3 & 6. We are currently living in Sweden but moving to US this fall. I am currently unemployed in Sweden since May and am not planning to work in the US yet... However my husband's company in Sweden has offered him a job in the US with a salary well above the 125% of the poverty limit. In addition, I have enough US assets, so we are going that route instead of getting a co-sponsor, even if my husband's job will cover the income requirement.

- a letter from my husband's company stating that they are going to offer him a job when he gets to the US and the salary.

- proof that we intend to establish domicile in the US (letter from my mom stating that we will live with her til we find a place, correspondence with a school about enrollment of our daughter in the fall etc.)

**Questions** -

Do I need to include paystubs from the last few months, or income statements from the past year, from my husband's job, to prove that he is really employed there? It is a swedish company so then information is all in Swedish, although I could translate it.

Sarah

What type of visa is your husband hoping to have that will give him work authorization?

You've posted in a tourist visa forum which is inappropriate for your plans.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi all,

**Questions** -

Sarah

Since you are now unemployed, and the past income in Sweden doesn't count for the I-864 anyway, I see no need for you to include your past pay stubs from there, or from your husband.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

What type of visa is your husband hoping to have that will give him work authorization?

You've posted in a tourist visa forum which is inappropriate for your plans.

It is a IR-1 visa. He got the job offer now, but he wouldn't be starting work until his visa was approved.

Thanks for alerting me I posted in the wrong place, newbie mistake! i will see if I can move the thread or else repost in the correct area.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

*Moved from Tourist visa forum to IR1/CR1 forum*

Take a look at the I-864 FAQ link in my signature below. It may have some info that can help re: domicile as well as income and assets.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

*Moved from Tourist visa forum to IR1/CR1 forum*

Take a look at the I-864 FAQ link in my signature below. It may have some info that can help re: domicile as well as income and assets.

OK, I found this quote in the FAQ:

Can a credible offer of employment for the visa applicant replace or supplement an insufficient Affidavit of Support?

No, the law does not recognize offers of employment in place of the I-864.

A job offer may show ability of the applicant to overcome ineligibility as a public charge, but does not meet any I-864 requirement.

---

So I guess that means that my husband's job offer is not worth anything??!

I mean we have the assets so we should be safe, but I have a hard time understanding why a job offer for the applicant cannot be counted towards the income requirement. What difference does it make if it is from me the sponsor or my husband the applicant? Hmmph.

Timeline

Since you are now unemployed, and the past income in Sweden doesn't count for the I-864 anyway, I see no need for you to include your past pay stubs from there, or from your husband.

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I wasn't going to enter his income on the form, but I thought maybe including his paystubs or income statements would somehow prove that he had a steady job here, which would make them believe his US job offer letter more - in case they doubted it for some reason. But perhaps it wouldn't help?

In any case, it sounds like it would not be required.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.