StraightShooter

Geography lessons

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As part of the package that I sent to my fiancee to prepare for her interview, I included fold-up street maps of the USA, Florida and my county. On the last two, I marked a tiny little X to show where they'll be living. I also threw in some county brochures from the chamber of commerce.

In reply, I got pix of her son on the floor at home with maps spread open and him eagerly checking out locations. And my fiancee also commented on all of the nature parks, tourist attractions and other neat stuff nearby. They both really liked the info and we chatted about it a couple of times. Now, as they sit waiting in the hotel room for visas to arrive, they're checking them out again, including the route we'll take from the airport to home. Definitely a low-cost high-value investment!

Anyone else do something similar?

May your visa journey be smooth and speedy.

ENGAGED TO TROPICALROSE

ringhands4.jpg

I had given my wife a book about my state on one of my trips over. She read parts of it but either got bored or too busy with work, as she never finished it. But she did learn a lot of things before she got to that point. She doesn't really understand maps at all. Even now that she's here, she won't look at a map to figure out how to drive somewhere. I've gotten her turn by turn audible GPS, so she can get around a bit. She's still a bit nervous though and prefers I show her first, then she'll follow the GPS when she has a general idea how to get there. The county brochures from the Chamber of Commerous sounds like a great idea though.

I had given my wife a book about my state on one of my trips over. She read parts of it but either got bored or too busy with work, as she never finished it. But she did learn a lot of things before she got to that point. She doesn't really understand maps at all. Even now that she's here, she won't look at a map to figure out how to drive somewhere. I've gotten her turn by turn audible GPS, so she can get around a bit. She's still a bit nervous though and prefers I show her first, then she'll follow the GPS when she has a general idea how to get there. The county brochures from the Chamber of Commerous sounds like a great idea though.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

I'd come up with the idea because her son had asked why it was always dark here when she was chatting with me in the mornings there. So, when I went there I bought the boy a globe and a small flashlight. Using those, we showed him where the Philippines are on the globe and then we turned off the room light and shone the flashlight onto the globe as though it were the sun. He immediately "got" the concept.

And for the remainder of my trip, he'd bring the globe to me to ask questions about where elephants, penguins, lions, tigers and other animals live. It was fun showing him all that stuff. Dunno if they crammed the globe into the luggage or not. :lol:

I should have marked the places where I go hunting and fishing on the fold-up maps too. They've seen videos and pictures of the areas, but I didn't mention where they were in relation to home.

ENGAGED TO TROPICALROSE

ringhands4.jpg

Timeline

Awesome, great idea. Isn't it great the drive to learn that the children have. I will use the map idea when I return.

I had a science/ astronomy lesson on the beach in the province one evening. Abs brother and two of his friends (13 years old) and we chatted for 2 hours. I was suprised I could remember so much and that they didnt want to stop learning. They dont learn alot of that in their secondary schools.

27 January 2012: Mailed I-129F

03 February 2012: NOA1( e-mail & Text)

03 February 2012: Check Cashed

NO RFE'S

22 June 2012 : NOA2 (e-mail & Text)

16 July 2012: Manila Case Number(by phone)

17 July 2012: Interview paid at BPI

19 July 2012: Set interview for Mid-Aug

23-24 July 2012: Medical St. Lukes(passed)

24 July 2012: CFO Seminar(had to go next morning for landline #)- PASSED

02 Aug 2012: Received e-mail from USEM our case is there.

15 Aug 2012: Interview at USEM - APPROVED

13 SEP 2012: POE Minneapolis, MN

27 OCT 2012: Married

19 NOV 2012: AOS package sent

05 DEC 2012: NOA's I-765, I-131, I-485

14 DEC 2012: Biometrics appointment finished(Walk-in..Was scheduled Jan 04 2013)

02 FEB 2013: I-131 and I-765 Approved

07 FEB 2013: USPS Picked up the combo-card

11 FEB 2013: Received Combo-card

21 FEB 2013: Transit Visa picked up in Chicago for Japan

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I did trust google earth when comes to that. Me and my husband, fiancé then, used to play with it and I did see the surroundings of our condo as well as his car parking before I came here. It also gave me idea the nice places closer to my new home back then.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Timeline

I did trust google earth when comes to that. Me and my husband, fiancé then, used to play with it and I did see the surroundings of our condo as well as his car parking before I came here. It also gave me idea the nice places closer to my new home back then.

Yup, I use Google earth all the time. It's not available on the computers at the cafes over there though.

ENGAGED TO TROPICALROSE

ringhands4.jpg

1340982150[/url]' post='5494258']

As part of the package that I sent to my fiancee to prepare for her interview, I included fold-up street maps of the USA, Florida and my county. On the last two, I marked a tiny little X to show where they'll be living. I also threw in some county brochures from the chamber of commerce.

In reply, I got pix of her son on the floor at home with maps spread open and him eagerly checking out locations. And my fiancee also commented on all of the nature parks, tourist attractions and other neat stuff nearby. They both really liked the info and we chatted about it a couple of times. Now, as they sit waiting in the hotel room for visas to arrive, they're checking them out again, including the route we'll take from the airport to home. Definitely a low-cost high-value investment!

Anyone else do something similar?

That was a cool idea

Timeline

First day we met I took her to google earth, asking her to show me her place. Because she was in Manila as a nanny for a merchant seaman family, but grew up on Mindanao. She had never used google earth before, and like Caryh she didn't even know how to read maps. So she could not find her own place. Their schools are awful unless you enroll them in a prestigious academy. She was a very bright girl in a terrible academic environment.

I came back to the Philippines right after we met, and was over there for three months. Although she had been to college one year already I used the GMAT book and a bunch of other college prep stuff to try getting higher entrance exams and get into the best school she could. We studied Math, science, geography, English - while I built a house at the same time with her father. So that was a really cool experience even though she ended up having a couple of kids instead of going to finish her degree in accounting. So of course we did a lot of study on Alaska too. I had a LOT of pictures, and I had installed the internet in the house we built so we used that together to explore the world.

All this, before our first kiss.

We used google earth too so I already saw my fiance's (husband now)place, we are lucky enough that he has a street view. He also saw our home in the Philippines but since its small it can't hardly be seen. Only roof! hahaha

Anyway, when he visited me, he got this traveller's map with his note and "stars" too pointing where exactly his place on the map, his mom's, sister's and also the lawyer's. I just looked at it like twice when im still in the philippines. My mother is the one who is excited and been showing her customers/friends in our shop where my fiance lives. hehe

Now, the map makes sense to me. As we go travelling in each place, I look at the map and see where it is, the name of the place and all that. I think we Filipinos are not that used to getting to places using maps nor directions (north, south, east, west). We, are used to asking friends, family, drivers, street people how to get to a place. lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.