notmuch88tosay

Extension For Interview?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello,

Me and my fiancee got our NOA1, NOA2, NVC Receive and Consulate Receive awhile back.

The next step is the interview.

But some difficulties came up in my fiancee's life, so we had to delay everything until the automatic one year period from approval.

Now this one year period is coming to an end and we need to get the Packet 3 documents to the U.S. Consulte fairly soon.

But my fiancee is overwhelmed and is having some trouble with getting everything together on time. Is there any way I can file for an extention?

If so, where and how?

Any info will be greatly appreciated,

notmuch88tosay

Edited by notmuch88tosay

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The consulate only has the authority to extend the validity of the petition approval up to one year. After that, they are required to consider the petition to have been abandoned. I honestly don't know if this is a matter of law (in which case you can't get an extension) or a matter of policy (in which case you might be able to plead for an exception).

You can contact the consulate by email, but don't expect a quick response, and be prepared in case they say no.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

The consulate only has the authority to extend the validity of the petition approval up to one year. After that, they are required to consider the petition to have been abandoned. I honestly don't know if this is a matter of law (in which case you can't get an extension) or a matter of policy (in which case you might be able to plead for an exception).

You can contact the consulate by email, but don't expect a quick response, and be prepared in case they say no.

Thanks for the info JimVaPhuong,

I appreciate it very much.

I guess I'll have to contact them and plead for an exception; but first I'll check the progress my fiancee is making again just in case.

I don't want to have any miscommunication with them that could cause confusion and delay things further or screw things up.

notmuch88tosay

P.S. I would ask my attorney these questions, but I don't trust her in the slightest (and she gets paid for that)

Timeline

i say simply follow the instructions in the OF-169, send in what's asked for, and get on the interview scheduling calendar.

Roll the dice, send off the stuff asked for in the OF-169, and wait.

When an interview date is assigned, get mondo busy and make it .

As SOON as the interview date is assigned, she can hustle and get the other documents she needs.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

i say simply follow the instructions in the OF-169, send in what's asked for, and get on the interview scheduling calendar.

Roll the dice, send off the stuff asked for in the OF-169, and wait.

When an interview date is assigned, get mondo busy and make it .

As SOON as the interview date is assigned, she can hustle and get the other documents she needs.

Hi Darnell,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I did send a PDF of the OF-169 (in Mandarin) to my fiancee and asked her to work on getting a couple of the items needed each day.

I don't know how in the world we are going to get it all translated into English after she completes the forms needed in Mandarin. Nobody seems to be able to recommend a translator for that and the Google Translate site is not dependable.

You said:

"As SOON as the interview date is assigned, she can hustle and get the other documents she needs."

What other documents will she need other than what is asked for in the OF-169?

notmuch88tosay

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hustle and Hustle to get ready, always a rush at the end.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

What other documents will she need other than what is asked for in the OF-169?

Just the ones from the list.

For translation, is best to obtain white books, the chinese to english notarial translations.

see

white books - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/228853-notarial-birth-certificate/

and read all, also show her the chinese language stuff there.

YOU, otoh, need to get an I-134 prepped, soonish, and get it to her.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Just the ones from the list.

For translation, is best to obtain white books, the chinese to english notarial translations.

see

white books - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/228853-notarial-birth-certificate/

and read all, also show her the chinese language stuff there.

YOU, otoh, need to get an I-134 prepped, soonish, and get it to her.

Hi Darnell,

I appreciate the info and link very much.

Yes, I will get the I-134 completed very soon.

I'll try going through my attorney first, but if she plays a single game with me I'll dump her in a second and do the rest of the process on my own.

I initially wanted an attorney to be like a scary dragon breathing down on the beaurocrats in case I get a real bad one, but my attorney turned her dragon fire onto me instead.

Talk about unwanted stress.

Thanks again,

notmuch88tosay

Timeline

I guess the game plan I'm suggesting -

is DO IT NOW. HAVE HER SEND OFF THE OF-169.

Then have her get the white books within 3 weeks of sending off the OF-169.

and then when the interview date is set,

do the medical and go to the interview.

Remember - she has up to 6 months to come into the USA AFTER the interview date - so bear that in mind with her planning. Indeed, share that tidbit with her.

So, really, in summation - DO IT NOW.

IMO (and others) a lawyer at this stage is useless.

Edited by Darnell

Timeline

Hi Darnell,

I appreciate your reply very much.

Yes, we will do it now.

I just spoke with her and she told me the first thing she will do next is to get a copy of her birth certificate.

After that I'll get the OF-169 to her.

Then I'll have her get the white books.

Then the medical and interview. And of course I'll go there for the interview.

Hopefully I will fly home with her after the interview.

Or should I get the OF-169 to her before she goes to get a copy of her birth certificate?

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions.

notmuch88tosay

Timeline

why to 'give to her' ?

she can get all, herself, at GUZ IV forms http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/forms_and_packets.htm

Timeline

why to 'give to her' ?

she can get all, herself, at GUZ IV forms http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/forms_and_packets.htm

Hi Darnel,

Yes, she could get the forms there herself, if she new how to read English.

And she wouldn't know which forms are written in English only and which are written in Mandarin.

So I could have asked her to go there and download all the forms and open each one and try to figure things out.

Instead I sent her the OF-169 form in Mandarin with the checklist instructions ready for her to jump into action on.

By the way, in my last post I mentioned getting the OF-169 form to her; my error, I already gave her that form. I meant the other form she needs.

Thanks again for your help,

notmuch88tosay

Timeline

ok la. get on with the fillings of forms already already. go la .. GoGoGadget GooGooPower !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.