Priscilla n Craig

illegally in europe and now trying K-1

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello to all,

Does anybody knows if is that a problem that I was living illegaly and working without permission in Europe for 1 year, and now apply for the K-1 Visa?????

I will have my interview soon and Im a little bit worried. I never had problems with police, Got my police clearense from where I was living and everything is ok. I heard about people living illegaly in USA and get their visa with no problem....So, what about my case? I was living in 2 different countries illegaly, working and studying, one 10 years a go, and another 3 years a go......

Thanks for your help...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The US government won't care, the only potential issue is that you need police certs as you've lived in those places so long, and the countries may be reluctant to give those to a former illegal.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

How recent are your police clearances? I assume they will have to be within 6 months of your interview.

But no, it shouldn't matter, as long as you have the police certificates from the countries.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Then you should be fine. As long as your police clearance is clear, they won't care that you were in another country. My fiance lived in Thailand and Kuwait both for two years. Aside from the police clearance from Thailand, they never asked to see her visas or anything related to living overseas, legally or not.

I wouldn't worry you have your police clearances, you should be good to go!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If your police clearance is not in English you will have to get a certified translated copy along with the original when you have your interview.

Edited by kennard

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Wait a second.

Department of State generally requires that the applicant interview in their home country, or that they be a resident (e.g., not a visitor) of the country where they are being interviewed. Under what terms were you admitted to the country you're currently living in? If you were admitted as a visitor or if you crossed illegally into the country then the consulate might refuse to interview you, and send your case back to your home country. They won't hold your illegal status against you in determining if you get a visa, but they might refuse to interview you because you're not in your home country and you're not a resident of the country you're in.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.