basitirfan

Urgent Help Needed

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Finally after 2 months I got a positive response about my wife's AP in Montreal. The consulate general asked for the passport along with my tax returns. I sent the passport along with taxes current pay stubs job letter along with a joint sponsor because my personal taxes showed $10000 income due to a business loss which I sold in the year 2011. Currently I make double the amount I made last year. Its been 3 days since the Consulate received the documents which was on the 18th of June. I call DOS everyday and they seem to be no help. I called and they said that "they received the documents and case is under adminstrative processing" they seem to be so vague in answers that it demoralizes my whole mood.

Please tell me how long should I wait before I have my senator contact them because me and my wife plan to travel overseas on July 10th for a period of 2 months and if they dont wanna issue before than its better to travel and then send the passport after we come back. I earlier had a reception planned in NY but the AP delay made me cancel that with a huge financial loss and now i dont want the same problem where I have a reception scheduled overseas and because of the consulate I would have to delay that as well.

Today I called Montreal Consulate phone and found out that they are closed and reopen on Wednesday. Next week they are going to open on Thursday. Should I wait all of wednesday or fax them and email with the passport return request because they will be closed for the next few days and I have to travel on the 10th of July. I really need help.

Edited by basitirfan

Honestly a senator probably doesn't have that much influence on an embassy. It is not the consulate that made you plan a reception. Don't make any firm plans until the visa is in your hand.

I would call Wednesday as early as possible to request the passport.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

I am confused on how the AP has anything to do with a reception in NY...it's part of the US.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Timeline

As you know, nothing happens fast with Montreal. If the upcoming reception is overseas, it was probably in ur best interest for her to have kept her Cdn Passport until AFTER the reception if its early July! I guess they could be fast and turn it around quickly, but as you know Mtl tends to be slower rather than faster.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am confused on how the AP has anything to do with a reception in NY...it's part of the US.

I think the OP meant AP in this case as Administrative Processing...... not Advanced Parole... AP seems to be used as a term for both things around here in VJ land

... blink.gif very confusing

Edited by S and P

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to say but there is not much you can do but keep calling DOS hoping for an update. Everything that goes through Montreal's mail room seems to sit there for 2-3 weeks. Perhaps you could send Montreal an email asking for the passport back, but without the passport, your case will be on hold again for at least the duration of your trip. Couldn't your wife meet you at your destination whenever she gets her visa?

Don't expect sympathy from DOS or Montreal. It's not about them not wanting to issue the visa before your trip or them making you cancel your reception in New York. You put a lot of stress on yourself because you keep making plans assuming they will work within an expected time frame. They don't. Visas are issued when they are. I agree AP is no fun; you've been stuck in limbo for a while and I wish you the best, but you shouldn't have made plans prior to being done with the process.

Good luck!

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Timeline

So I spoke to Senator Schumer's office and they have written an email asking the consulate if they will issue visa before our travel date overseas of July 10th and if they cant do it then please return the passport and we can send it again for visa issuance after we come back from overseas.

Senator gillibrand's office will also contact the consulate on Friday so I hope that something is resolved soon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.