Oksana & Max

Name change and Travel to Ukraine

6 posts in this topic

I am pretty sure that this topic was covered multiple times, but I couldn't find the answer.

Here is the situation me and my wife got married about 3 month ago. We filed AOS / EAD / AP with her married last name.

We are hoping to receive her AP soon so we can travel back to Ukraine. Her AP will be in married name however her Ukrainian Passport is in maiden name. How do we go about booking a ticket with her maiden name or married name, I don't want to have any issues entering ukraine, leaving ukraine, or entering US.

Any suggestions?

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

I am pretty sure that this topic was covered multiple times, but I couldn't find the answer.

Here is the situation me and my wife got married about 3 month ago. We filed AOS / EAD / AP with her married last name.

We are hoping to receive her AP soon so we can travel back to Ukraine. Her AP will be in married name however her Ukrainian Passport is in maiden name. How do we go about booking a ticket with her maiden name or married name, I don't want to have any issues entering ukraine, leaving ukraine, or entering US.

Any suggestions?

I asked the same question once and was advised to make ticket reservations in the name on the passport. Show the passport and AP card when returning and keep a copy of your marriage license with you in case there are any questions.

Edited by spectec

Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

39tlivle4.png

We book tickets using my wife's name on the passport. It's less of a problem traveling that way. Upon return she just flashes her green card and goes right through. I'm sure the AP will work just as well. As a back up, she always carries a copy of our marriage certificate. Hope your AP comes soon. :)

Thanks for the responses.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife is in Russia visiting her Mom right now. What we have done on every trip so far was to book the domestic part of her trip in her married name and the international part with her maiden name which is the name on her passport. If you are booking everything at one time go with the name on the passport. My wife also carries a copy of our marriage certificate when she travels. The question you are asking is one that many of us run into. One thing that caught us by surprise was when we took a vacation to Aruba. We booked the tickets in her married name and since that was not the name on her passport they would not let her board with that ticket. They did however rebook her using the name on her passport at no charge so it was not a big deal, just a small hastle.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

For international travel the name in the document used for ID must match the name on the ticket and that document just happens to be the passport. All the AP or GC does is allow you back into teh US without having to obtain a visa to do so. All requirements of the foreign passport must still be met--i.e. transit visas and tourist visas. The GC amy help in obtaining a tourist visa that a person from the foreing country without a GC may not be able to get, but there are no guarantees. So you should always check the requirements for travel visas for the foreign passport and obtain all necessary visas before booking flights. As USC we tend to forget that visas are required in order to enter another country. At least as a FSU visitor you realize that a tourist visa is requried for a USC.

For domestic travel the name on the ID used must match the name on the ticket or TSA will not let you into the secure area. However you can use a foreign passport or other US government issued ID like the GC, AP, Driver's License, etc.

Enjoy your trip,

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.