sms78

Do CBP interview you at POE?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I'm flying to LAX in a few days and I'm nervous. After CBP takes my sealed envelope and passport, I will be going to a separate room right? What's going to happen in there!!!!??????? Do they interview me? Ask some questions?? I think I'm over-thinking, but like I don't remember my parents in law's real name and stuff. They are SO long and can't even pronounce them. Should I memorize them just in case? :help:

Married May 2011

10/07/2011: NOA1

12/15/2011: NOA2

01/12/2012: NVC case number arrived

01/13/2012: DS-3032 emailed

01/27/2012: Barcode arrived via e-mail

03/06/2012: I-864&DS-230 sent together

03/13/2012: RFE

04/16/2012: Additional documents sent

05/02/2012: NVC case complete

05/14/2012: Medical

06/04/2012: Interview--->approved

06/05/2012: Visa arrived in mail

LAX POE Review

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Parents in laws last name = wife's maiden name usually. I think you should take the time to figure that name out. I don't know if they'll interview you based upon the visa, though. I think they would do what their job is and make sure that you aren't entering illegally or bringing things into the country illegally. That you are who you say you are. Relax, you've already gone through the immigration process. This is probably going to be more of a formality. Others will correct me if I'm wrong though.

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Laos
Timeline

you should look up reviews on POE at LAX on vj here. there are some good stuff there. my husband went through san francisco and since he didn't speak any english they just let him through after looking at his paperwork. it's not anything scary so don't worry too much. usually they ask the address of your destination, who your spouse/fiance is, when you'll get married (if not already), and etc.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

There are may reviews posted by other VJers on their POE, just search them out. Our experience at JFK was brief and to the point. They asked Mari some basic questions and stamped the passport and welcomed her to the US. Out of all the steps we have had to endure during this process, the POE was one of the easiest. Remember, CBP is just doing their job to make sure the entry is legal and nothing "weird" is going on. I have heard about longer waits at busier airports, but nothing really outlandish. You guys should be just fine.

Good Luck

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Thank you everyone for your reply. I've been reading and re-reading POE review in these few weeks. I know CBP is just doing their job, but like 8 months of everything is on my shoulder. That's what I'm feeling now. Ahhh.

Plus, I have no idea what's going to happen in America. Uncertainty makes me nervous.

This week both my father and grandpa took a week off to be with me. They are literally competing against each other to spend time with me. And I'm almost 30 years old!!! I'm blessed, but the whole time my mind is not even here. Sigh.

America....please be nice to me...!

Married May 2011

10/07/2011: NOA1

12/15/2011: NOA2

01/12/2012: NVC case number arrived

01/13/2012: DS-3032 emailed

01/27/2012: Barcode arrived via e-mail

03/06/2012: I-864&DS-230 sent together

03/13/2012: RFE

04/16/2012: Additional documents sent

05/02/2012: NVC case complete

05/14/2012: Medical

06/04/2012: Interview--->approved

06/05/2012: Visa arrived in mail

LAX POE Review

I'm flying to LAX in a few days and I'm nervous. After CBP takes my sealed envelope and passport, I will be going to a separate room right? What's going to happen in there!!!!??????? Do they interview me? Ask some questions?? I think I'm over-thinking, but like I don't remember my parents in law's real name and stuff. They are SO long and can't even pronounce them. Should I memorize them just in case? :help:

My wife came into LAX on Saturday. SQ12 from Narita... wheels down on the runway at 1:14 PM, she and the kids were out of customs at 2:45. (I should add that they came out alongside other economy class passengers from the same flight, so they didn't have any undue delays relative to others; though overall it seemed to be a busy time for arrivals). No questions or anything, it just took 10 minutes because there was a little extra paperwork to do, she said. We have a new US address from the time the visa was approved, so part of that was updating that.

Totally hassle free she said, so my advice is relax and find other things to worry about :)

Edited by Gaijinsan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.