msheesha

DAILY THREAD

335 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Julianna have you made Mansaf here in the US? It is my husband's favorite meal and I am not sure what kind of yogurt can be used in place of jameed. His brother had said greek yogurt...

You could use greek yogurt, but we have actually found sheep yogurt before.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Traditional mansaf uses jameed (a type of fermented and dried yogurt) which is usually available in the U.S. in Arabic markets. (But people who are not used to it often think it stinks.) You could substitute plain yogurt, or even mix authentic jameed and yogurt together. Greek yogurt would work well.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

Traditional mansaf uses jameed (a type of fermented and dried yogurt) which is usually available in the U.S. in Arabic markets. (But people who are not used to it often think it stinks.) You could substitute plain yogurt, or even mix authentic jameed and yogurt together. Greek yogurt would work well.

We tried it with regular plain and greek yogurt, but he liked the sheep better saying he thought it tasted more.. real. his family uses sheep milk to make jameed.

Timeline

We tried it with regular plain and greek yogurt, but he liked the sheep better saying he thought it tasted more.. real. his family uses sheep milk to make jameed.

That would be the traditional way ! (Or possibly goat milk.)

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

That would be the traditional way ! (Or possibly goat milk.)

I've heard bad things about jameed not necessarily tasting right here. BUT i have a feeling that it comes down to expectation. lots of people make their own, so of course they expect it to taste like how their family makes it. I'd say figure out how his family makes it and either try the jameed here or pick the yogurt that comes from the animal they make it from.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Happy 4th of July! Does anyone have fun plans for today?

We're going to my folks' house for a BBQ. The weather is supposed to be smoking hot here today....99 degrees. I'm not crazy about that lol.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Mithra, my brother will come over and do some huge and illegal fireworks that I probably cant watch bc the babies are afraid lol....BBQ? hubby is lazy to do bc it's going to be broiling here too as usual. Other than that, not much.....

How much is naturalization nowadays? I don't know when we will do his as I think he can apply soon...it's not like it's any hurry to get it, besides being down with immigration for good, what's the benefit for him?....too busy these days, but eventually we will get to it I guess-we have 10 years right? lol

389672_3802055654913_1108709116_n.jpg

Timeline

Mithra, my brother will come over and do some huge and illegal fireworks that I probably cant watch bc the babies are afraid lol....BBQ? hubby is lazy to do bc it's going to be broiling here too as usual. Other than that, not much.....

How much is naturalization nowadays? I don't know when we will do his as I think he can apply soon...it's not like it's any hurry to get it, besides being down with immigration for good, what's the benefit for him?....too busy these days, but eventually we will get to it I guess-we have 10 years right? lol

There are many rights and protections that are granted to U.S. citizens - of course the right to vote, etc. There are also certain jobs from which non-citizens are barred. Citizens can leave the country and live abroad for any period of time without losing their citizenship and right to return to the U.S. (unless they make the move to officially renounce U.S. citizenship.) Citizens have an easier process and timeline when sponsoring foreign family members to immigrate to the U.S. And there are protections from things like deportation (which can be imposed on legal permanent residents for loss of status, or for other reasons.)

Laws could change about what legal permanent residents can do, or the process (or even ability) for renewing that residency. The rights of the citizen are laid upon a much sturdier foundation.

It's not for everyone, but you should take a hard look at the specifics and how they might affect your situation, either now or down the line.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Timeline

Citizens can also travel more. On the flip side, the reason we aren't sure if we want to do it... citizens are beholden to the new IRS tax laws, which may make serious trouble for you abroad (some countries are very resistant now to give Americans bank accounts-- for example Switzerland) in addition to making you pay double taxes on everything you make on income and assets after a certain level (a level which is very easily obtained in a place like Jordan).

Timeline

Citizens can also travel more. On the flip side, the reason we aren't sure if we want to do it... citizens are beholden to the new IRS tax laws, which may make serious trouble for you abroad (some countries are very resistant now to give Americans bank accounts-- for example Switzerland) in addition to making you pay double taxes on everything you make on income and assets after a certain level (a level which is very easily obtained in a place like Jordan).

Not to mention - LPRs are exempt from jury duty :dance:

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Timeline

Whatcha eatin' for the holiday ?

I am now preparing the grill for: marinated chicken breasts, plus a couple of steaks and a few burgers... along with fresh corn on the cob. The chicken will be sliced up for wrapping in fresh tortillas, along with sauteed onions, red & green bell peppers, shredded lettuce, tomatoes & fresh guacamole. (Salsa is available, too.) Burgers will go on toasted buns with all the trimmings. On the side: we have potato salad, Cajun-style red beans, and cole slaw. And lemon and cherry Italian ice for dessert.

My neighbors always put on a huge fireworks show every New Year's Eve and 4th of July. And I am not talking about bottle rockets - I mean huge colorful bursts that must be visible for a mile or more (we're on a hill.) It's loud and it will go on for 20-30 minutes. I don't know how they get away with it - it's supposed to be illegal to set off fireworks inside the city limits except for official shows. They must know someone at PD. (Not that I'm reporting them - we pull up chairs in the driveway and watch !)

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Edited by wife_of_mahmoud

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.