Rebecca Jo

Before you permanently move to the US

541 posts in this topic

I'm going to report my own post here and ask that Moderation please pin this thread. Perhaps the thread title should be changed to read something like "Before you move to the US, please read this thread".

Many UK citizens marry and move to the US with a plan to return to the UK in the future. It is VITAL they understand how difficult it will be to return to the UK with their American spouse. These changes should be a part of EVERY US/UK couples discussion about where they will spend their married lives.

Pinning the thread will also keep UK/US couples informed of changes to the rules. The rules are new and they will be challenged. But it may take court cases to change them. It may take years for things to change. This information is crucial for US/UK couples.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I'm going to report my own post here and ask that Moderation please pin this thread. Perhaps the thread title should be changed to read something like "Before you move to the US, please read this thread".

Many UK citizens marry and move to the US with a plan to return to the UK in the future. It is VITAL they understand how difficult it will be to return to the UK with their American spouse. These changes should be a part of EVERY US/UK couples discussion about where they will spend their married lives.

Pinning the thread will also keep UK/US couples informed of changes to the rules. The rules are new and they will be challenged. But it may take court cases to change them. It may take years for things to change. This information is crucial for US/UK couples.

Good idea

A very valuable thread which will help many Brits avoid future pitfalls - providing they read it first

This legislation seeks to address a genuine problem by disadvantaging those who are not the problem

That makes it cruide and simplistic and it has been formulated in a slap-dash and LAZY manner

Average income indeed. If you have one foot in the fridge and one foot in the fire, then on average you are comfortable

Edited by Ashud Cocoa

moresheep400100.jpg

Definitely agree! People need to see this before coming to a decision they may not be able to reverse later.

I was talking to my mother yesterday about the new rules. She knows very little on immigration for any country so i guess she sees it how everybody else who doesnt have a reason to know but has seen the news does. Her reply was "They cant just split families up!". Oh but they can. And i hope people dont learn that when its too late.

CR-1
07-01-2011 : Married

05-10-2012 : I-130 Mailed to London (DCF)
05-11-2012 : I-130 Delivered and signed for at Embassy
05-18-2012 : NOA1 Email
07-26-2012 : NOA2 (69 days)
07-28-2012 : NOA2 hard copy received
08-10-2012 : LND Case number received. Letter dated 08-07-2012
08-15-2012 : DS-230 and DS-2001 mailed to Embassy
08-23-2012 : Medical
09-14-2012 : Emailed Embassy and confirmed DS forms have finally been logged (After 29 days)
09-22-2012 : Interview letter received. Dated September 19th.
10-03-2012 : Interview - Approved!
NOA1 to Interview - 138 days.
10-10-2012 : Passport with Visa delivered two hours late at 8pm.
10-22-2012 : POE Philadelphia
11-15-2012 : Green Card received in mail
12-11-2012 : Went to the Social Security office to apply for SSN after it did not arrive.
12-15-2012 : SSN Arrived in 4 days.

05-09-2013 : Left USC Husband.
11-28-2013: Filed for divorce.

05-01-2014: Divorced

05-08-2014: Sent I-751 petition to VSC

05-13-2014: NOA1 (was not postmarked until 5/22/14 and received on 5/24/14)
06-18-2014: Biometrics in St. Albans, VT

11-21-2014: RFE. Received on 11/24/14.

01-22-2015: Interview notice mailed out. Received 1/26/15

02-12-2015: Interview in St Albans, VT - Approved during interview!

CRBA
08-16-2012 : CRBA in London for our daughter - Approved!
09-11-2012 : CRBA and Passport arrived.
09-25-2012 : SSN Arrived. Mailed from MD on 09-17-2012

Definitely agree! People need to see this before coming to a decision they may not be able to reverse later.

I was talking to my mother yesterday about the new rules. She knows very little on immigration for any country so i guess she sees it how everybody else who doesnt have a reason to know but has seen the news does. Her reply was "They cant just split families up!". Oh but they can. And i hope people dont learn that when its too late.

Yup. We made our decision in context last year and I've just made it out to the USA. When I had my medical three weeks ago the lady who gave me my vaccinations even said "you know it's easier for him to come here right?" - not anymore!

No not any more!

In my opinion, after having done/doing both, id say the US one is way easier. I think everybody has a different experience though. I think common belief is that the UK just opens the borders and hands you a benefit book! :rofl:

CR-1

09-14-2012 : Emailed Embassy and confirmed DS forms have finally been logged (After 29 days)
12-11-2012 : Went to the Social Security office to apply for SSN after it did not arrive.

CRBA

Timeline

No not any more!

In my opinion, after having done/doing both, id say the US one is way easier. I think everybody has a different experience though. I think common belief is that the UK just opens the borders and hands you a benefit book! :rofl:

When yanky wife did the UK thing in 2006, it was a total piece of cake - I drove her to Chicago and she got the UK green card stamp before we had time to get a coffee. We were back in Wisconsin by tea time. We flew to the yookay and she got free health care for life on landing. She wasn't fingerprinted and didn't have a physical exam or inoculations and didn't produce police certificates etc etc etc etc

The US income level was easier and I made it to citizenship in 3 years, but apart from those two, the USCIS was horrendous.

I can remember having to get money to the USCIS in order for them to send me a form. I did the US GC while we lived in the UK and doing it like that is VERY hard with the couriers etc. I used all the VJ tricks of forging the bar codes on the forms etc (ok not actually forging just reproducing) which saved some months, but it still took almost a year of horror and delays. Right at the end they said my wife wasn't TEMPORARILY absent from the US so couldn't sponsor me. We had a one hour argument on the phone and they only relented when she showed that she had paid her STATE taxes recently

The US Embassy in London said I wasn't on that day's list and come back in 6 weeks - and we had an argument about that too before they gave in and admitted my appointment letter was genuine !

So apart from the money limit and the drawn out probation, I still think the UK is much easier to do and I wouldn't do the US thing again as it took 15 years off my life span

However, this latest UK stuff is ham-fisted and particularly hard for younger people who don't have the funds. If there is no recourse to public funds then what is their problem ? It is up to the individual whether they are prepared to put themselves through hell for the visa, but BLOCKING people who want to be together unnecessarily is not nice and is cold blooded

moresheep400100.jpg

I knew there were changes coming. I've been reading about them for months. But, since this news came out nearly two weeks ago, I feel as if a bucket of cold water has been poured over me.

It's always been hard to get work in my husband's home city. Believe it or not though, since coming to the US he's gotten himself into a field of work where he was pretty confident he could find like employment easily in Londonderry. But it doesn't pay £18,600 per year. Not a lot does.

We don't have the kind of money in savings the Coalition would want to offset his earnings. But we'd have enough to keep us from qualifying from any benefits over there if he was working in his field.

I can hardly look at photos of Wes' home city. All I can think when I look at them is "we can never live there now". I've tried to keep my own personal emotions out of this thread, but today is a bad day. I feel as if I'm falling into a depression over this. All we wanted is a way of life where we weren't reliant on an automobile. Where walking for essentials is do-able and easy. Where the weather is mild. Where we are close to London so we can travel there easily. And my stupid idyllic vision of the UK as an inclusive country that welcomes multi-culturism is smashed to bits. I think of the Empire conquering 100 years ago, and now spitting on those very people in Africa and India again.

This is a day where I want to cry.

*edited for $hitty grammar*

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Timeline

I knew there were changes coming. I've been reading about them for months. But, since this news came out nearly two weeks ago, I feel as if a bucket of cold water has been poured over me.

It's always been hard to get work in my husband's home city. Believe it or not though, since coming to the US he's gotten himself into a field of work where he was pretty confident he could find like employment easily in Londonderry. But it doesn't pay £18,600 per year. Not a lot does.

We don't have the kind of money in savings the Coalition would want to offset his earnings. But we'd have enough to keep us from qualifying from any benefits over there if he was working in his field.

I can hardly look at photos of Wes' home city. All I can think when I look at them is "we can never live there now". I've tried to keep my own personal emotions out of this thread, but today is a bad day. I feel as if I'm falling into a depression over this. All we wanted is a way of life where we weren't reliant on an automobile. Where walking for essentials is do-able and easy. Where the weather is mild. Where we are close to London so we can travel there easily. And my stupid idyllic vision of the UK as an inclusive country that welcomes multi-culturism is smashed to bits. I think of the Empire conquering 100 years ago, and now spitting on those very people in Africa and India again.

This is a day where I want to cry.

*edited for $hitty grammar*

We had many days and weeks in the US process when we felt like that... I am pretty resilient but it screwed me up and we couldn't see a way through.

Then the world turns and 'something' changes

Keep prodding and poking at the problem and some way might just become apparent

I got the local police sergeant's 19 year old daughter pregnant when I was with my parents and earning just enough to put petrol in my motorbike.

Problem !

He was a free mason with contacts

Two months later I got married, joined the Police, her father arranged a really nice brand new Police House and I was earning 3 times as much !

We watched the moon landing on telly while we were on honeymoon in Wales

All problems solved.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do - so keep that thinking cap on !

moresheep400100.jpg

I can hardly look at photos of Wes' home city. All I can think when I look at them is "we can never live there now".

I know how you feel. Not sure if you've read this article from the Economist - they reckon it'll be challenged on the human rights grounds.

I know I've LITERALLY just arrived in the USA, and we're determined to stay here for at least five years, but I do feel like we have had a choice taken away from us. And it's also hard to leave behind a country that is going to implement such a badly thought out policy. My country, no less!

As my husband says, we'll just have to try our hardest to earn enough to meet the UK conditions. But then, if we are earning enough to meet the UK conditions, maybe we won't be thinking about returning. As it is, we are young, and both have suffered at the hands of the recession. Months ago, I left a job that was above the £18.6k threshold and it makes me think "what if?" But I have to have faith that we have made the right decision in sticking to our guns.

Our experience (so far) with the US process hasn't been too bad. I say 'so far' because it's two years until we lift conditions, but other than the timespan to get the CR1 (a year) it's been pretty straightforward. I hope that building a life and career here will be too - because right now I'm not sure we can go back.

When yanky wife did the UK thing in 2006, it was a total piece of cake - I drove her to Chicago and she got the UK green card stamp before we had time to get a coffee. We were back in Wisconsin by tea time. We flew to the yookay and she got free health care for life on landing. She wasn't fingerprinted and didn't have a physical exam or inoculations and didn't produce police certificates etc etc etc etc

The US income level was easier and I made it to citizenship in 3 years, but apart from those two, the USCIS was horrendous.

I can remember having to get money to the USCIS in order for them to send me a form. I did the US GC while we lived in the UK and doing it like that is VERY hard with the couriers etc. I used all the VJ tricks of forging the bar codes on the forms etc (ok not actually forging just reproducing) which saved some months, but it still took almost a year of horror and delays. Right at the end they said my wife wasn't TEMPORARILY absent from the US so couldn't sponsor me. We had a one hour argument on the phone and they only relented when she showed that she had paid her STATE taxes recently

The US Embassy in London said I wasn't on that day's list and come back in 6 weeks - and we had an argument about that too before they gave in and admitted my appointment letter was genuine !

So apart from the money limit and the drawn out probation, I still think the UK is much easier to do and I wouldn't do the US thing again as it took 15 years off my life span

However, this latest UK stuff is ham-fisted and particularly hard for younger people who don't have the funds. If there is no recourse to public funds then what is their problem ? It is up to the individual whether they are prepared to put themselves through hell for the visa, but BLOCKING people who want to be together unnecessarily is not nice and is cold blooded

Ive heard loads of stories about it being easy for the UK one. Ours wasnt though. We didnt meet the requirements for any visa so we had to apply under some sort of human rights thing, i cant remember exactly what now though. But i was pregnant and couldnt fly by that point and my husband needed to come to me. So i paid a lawyer a hell of a lot of money and after jumping through a whole load of hoops, our fate was down to whether somebody had some sympathy in our situation. Thankfully they did! There were no medicals or anything like that, but it was the uncertainty that turned me grey!

I think im finding the US one easier because there isnt so much uncertainty. We meet the requirements, ive got all of the documents i need. So its just a waiting game. We are doing DCF too so that probably helps! The most awkward part is going to London three times (have to do a CRBA too).

CR-1

CRBA

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

No not any more!

:rofl:

I don't know where they get that idea from? I've heard someone say that the new rules are just to keep out the "spongers", whatever that means. I had to tell them 5 times that immigrants can't claim benefits, so if they didn't work they would be hungry and homeless. That puzzled them no end. :bonk:

The Statement of Intent said the rules will be changed as the benefit system changes in the UK (which is going to occur in 2013).

I tried to take a cursory glance at the new Universal Credit this morning and I will admit to not taking time to try and absorb all of it. But I think I picked up that there is going to be some sort of new registry created to keep track of claimants.

If this is so, wouldn't it make sense for the government to keep track of migrants with this system?

Timeline

The Statement of Intent said the rules will be changed as the benefit system changes in the UK (which is going to occur in 2013).

I tried to take a cursory glance at the new Universal Credit this morning and I will admit to not taking time to try and absorb all of it. But I think I picked up that there is going to be some sort of new registry created to keep track of claimants.

If this is so, wouldn't it make sense for the government to keep track of migrants with this system?

You would think so. I find it bizarre that they don't keep track of where immigrants live.

:rofl:

I don't know where they get that idea from? I've heard someone say that the new rules are just to keep out the "spongers", whatever that means. I had to tell them 5 times that immigrants can't claim benefits, so if they didn't work they would be hungry and homeless. That puzzled them no end. :bonk:

Well heres the biggest shocker of them all :lol: , when i go to the job centre (Yes im one of THOSE people! I lost my job after i had a baby) theyre all British in there. Most of the time shouting about why should they look for work and why should they have to go in there. All the time i can smell the drugs coming from their pocket.

Reckon we should send David Cameron into a job centre in a deprived area and he might rethink what the problem is.. I dont think its immigrants claiming. My description of the job centre regulars should explain what i think the problem is...

CR-1

CRBA

Timeline

Well heres the biggest shocker of them all :lol: , when i go to the job centre (Yes im one of THOSE people! I lost my job after i had a baby) theyre all British in there. Most of the time shouting about why should they look for work and why should they have to go in there. All the time i can smell the drugs coming from their pocket.

Reckon we should send David Cameron into a job centre in a deprived area and he might rethink what the problem is.. I dont think its immigrants claiming. My description of the job centre regulars should explain what i think the problem is...

:lol:

I haven't been to the job centre in years, I'm sorry you have to do that! Unfortunately there are a lot of people who don't have the desire to work, they don't know how lucky they are to have that option! Maybe we should subject them to American welfare rules, see how they like that. ;)

One of my friends back home made an innocent comment that he was upset with the government, he's annoyed that they want to change maternity leave to only 4 months. In his defense, that is a big deal if you are used to 6 months. I told him women here get 6 weeks off work, and they are lucky if their partners can get a week off! He didn't know what to say to that. I would have said the same if I hadn't have moved to America, I'm so glad I did it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.