Dubs

Health Insurance

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello!

I was just approved on my K1 Visa and plan to enter the US at the end of August.

I am just looking into health insurance (living in Canada -Ive had the luxury of not paying anything)

My fiancee is not working at the moment so going on his plan is not an option (once he starts working again, i'll go on his)

I will be living in New York City

IF any one has an insurance company they used and liked and isn't so expensive, please let me know!

On previous posts I saw someone used http://www.***removed***/for their wife so i'm looking into that as an option - it is visitor medical insurance though and i'm not sure how long you're able to go on that.

Anyways any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You will find a lot with a simple search on your favorite search engine. Make sure you are getting temporary health insurance and not travel health insurance, as you will not travelling but residing in the U.S. I did business with International Medical Group. I can't speak for their service as I was fortunate enough to not have to file a claim during my coverage. Their quote and coverage were decent.

And btw, you might want to do your health checkups before you cease to be a Canadian resident ;)

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Timeline

The one benefit of NYC is that there are a lot of people, so there are a lot of non-insurance options. Obviously that won't cover hospitals or emergencies, but last night at my Dr. in Queens there was someone there who didn't have insurance they paid $70 for their visit, which I didn't think was too crazy. You probably won't find that pricing in Manhattan, but if you live in a borough, you'll probably have better luck.

I would definitely do a Google search. I've seen ads around the city for Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Welcome to NYC (almost!). I LOVE it here!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

To add on to the advice of doing any checkups before you exit Canada. Fill any maintenance prescriptions you need filled for as long as possible so you have a supply as you're getting your US health insurance in place.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Thanks! I will definitely not go with visitors insurance (I didnt think that would be possible)

I think I'll go with Empire blue (its basically emergency coverage in case I need to be hospitalized) which is where the costs would be insane anyways

I'm very excited to live in New York City!

SapphireDreams- Did you guys get married at the City hall?

Timeline

Thanks! I will definitely not go with visitors insurance (I didnt think that would be possible)

I think I'll go with Empire blue (its basically emergency coverage in case I need to be hospitalized) which is where the costs would be insane anyways

I'm very excited to live in New York City!

SapphireDreams- Did you guys get married at the City hall?

Yes, we did get married at the city clerk's office. You have to go get the license in advance and then must wait 24 hours to get married. I moved on Saturday, we got out license Monday morning and then got married on Tuesday! It's nice because you get the certificate on the spot, so you can file your AOS immediately. If you need any other tips, feel free to message me!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.