Crashed~N2~Me

John Quidilla Needs Help

95 posts in this topic

John is facing deportation. My wife and I feel a bit sad for him and his family. We think it might be beneficial to bring his story to VJ.

We received this yesterday...

"John Quidilla is a Philippine national resident of Plano, Texas and has been living in the United States for more than 12 years since 1999. John is currently facing deportation and we invite everyone in the community to take the time to read this and sign the petition and maybe even share it if you agree.

John finished high school in the U.S. and recently acquired a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Arts and Technology from the University of Texas in Dallas. He has three siblings, namely Jamila, Jemima , Joshua and his mother Naomi . The entire family of John are legal residents. John did not enter the U.S. illegally. His father, Nelson Quidilla, an exceptional engineer who held an L1 Visa, succumbed to sickness and died in 2008, leaving John a major part of the responsibility for caring for his younger siblings. If you'd like to help a fellow man stay with the only family he knows and in the country he's called home for more than 12 years please sign this petition and pass it along. Donations are for the site only, and not his case. We are not asking for any money. Thank you."

This is the petition link.

We asked a few clarifying questions and John replied...

"I am John Quidilla. Thank you for taking your time reading my petition.

I lost my legal status when my father passed away. He was an engineer and here on a work visa. My entire family entered legally for this reason. We were in the process of getting our green cards right in the middle of it. When he passed away the company did not continue the process.

My family and I tried to get a student Visa to keep my status, but it was ultimately denied. We contacted senators, representatives, and many different lawyers for help. All we got was advice.

My mom and I decided that I should stay to continue my education because I was close to graduating college at UTD.

The reason why I am being deported is because I have overstayed my visa in the U.S to continue my education and help take care of my little brother ,who is 9, while my mom and sisters work and go to school. I have no criminal record.

The rest of my family is here legally, I am the only one facing this problem.

My lawyer is trying to stop the deportation so I will be able to stay. I am eligible for the Dream Act which if it passes, will give me permanent residency."

A few more questions and John answered....

"Thanks for the reply. My mom and sister were able to get student visas approved because they went through a university, while my other sister and I went through a lawyer.

My other sister is now happily married to the person she loves and is a permanent resident. My little brother is a U.S. citizen because he was born here

Yes you are right that people who are dependent that are 21 and under are eligible, but I am 24 years of age now.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask."

IMO..John should be allowed to remain with his family. (His story pulled my heartstrings)

FYI...I'm not asking any1 to sign the petition. That is a choice made at (individual) discretion of each VJ.

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He applied for a Student Visa and was refused, so how did he enter the US?

Has he been paying resident or overseas student rates?

He deliberately chose to stay in the US even though he knew he lost his status as a dependent when his Father died.

He said he did so to to complete his education which presumably he did, so why did he not leave then?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

California and Texas has millions of tear jerky stories about why this person or that should be exempt from immigration law. It is yet another story of someone who put their own desires ahead of the law they knew very well and wants a get out of jail free card. If the little brother ( 9) is a USC , this person has a path back in a couple of decades, or when the sister becomes a USC. Right now he needs to be packing his bags so he can start the ban.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I have a hard time signing a petition for someone who stayed illegally. If his Dad died in the middle of the process then someone at that time should have contacted USCIS to rectify the situation, not wait until he was out of status, and until he was done with school. Years have gone by when something could have been done. The system is broken because of people who take advantage of it. Clearly this family took advantage of it.

Edited by mimolicious

Timeline

He was not in any process it seems, he was here as a dependent of someone on a temporary work visa.

He would have aged out at 21 whether his father had died or not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

He applied for a Student Visa and was refused, so how did he enter the US?

L2 visa

He deliberately chose to stay in the US even though he knew he lost his status as a dependent when his Father died.

Correct

He said he did so to to complete his education which presumably he did, so why did he not leave then?

His Mom and siblings are here. She needs his help to support his family.

He was not in any process it seems, he was here as a dependent of someone on a temporary work visa.

L1 visa can convert to immigrant at end of 7 year shelf life.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

OK, I misunderstood. Either way he should not be allowed to stay, there are millions of people here illegally who take advantage of our system, he is just another one.

California and Texas has millions of tear jerky stories about why this person or that should be exempt from immigration law. It is yet another story of someone who put their own desires ahead of the law they knew very well and wants a get out of jail free card. If the little brother ( 9) is a USC , this person has a path back in a couple of decades, or when the sister becomes a USC. Right now he needs to be packing his bags so he can start the ban.

Every1 has a right to their own POV. It seems to me he is in a situation the system does not accomodate. I welcome further education.

OK, I misunderstood. Either way he should not be allowed to stay, there are millions of people here illegally who take advantage of our system, he is just another one.

You still misunderstand. L1 visa can convert at end of 7 years. IMO...he is not "another one". IMO...he got caught in a trap.

(again) I welcome further education.

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

Timeline

You still misunderstand. L1 visa can convert at end of 7 years. IMO...he is not "another one". IMO...he got caught in a trap.

You misunderstand, no such provision. Always a good idea to have your facts straight.

L1 is a Temporary work visa. It has dual intent, that is all.

I find it difficult to believe that he was refused a student visa but still admitted as L2. Not impossible, just unlikely.

You misunderstand, no such provision. Always a good idea to have your facts straight.

I find it difficult to believe that he was refused a student visa but still admitted as L2. Not impossible, just unlikely.

brb

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

An EB1C is an immigrant visa in the EB1 category that is reserved for executives and managers transferred from a multinational corporation.

John's father's company was sponsoring the EB1-C.

I have a few facts regarding L2 conversion if you are interested.

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

Timeline

I know what EB1 is, something you never mentioned before.

John Quidilla is a Philippine national resident of Plano, Texas and has been living in the United States for more than 12 years since 1999.

EB1 is currently current and as far as I know has been for some time. Admittedly I do not know what it was in 1999 and can not be bothered to look it up, but it would have been very unlikely that the PR process would have taken more than a year.

His father, Nelson Quidilla, an exceptional engineer who held an L1 Visa, succumbed to sickness and died in 2008.

Which raise many other questions, you have already mentioned the duration of an L.

So 9 years later he died, what was going on during that period?

So 9 years later he died, what was going on during that period?

I prefer John answer this question. (but) Based on his story..the entire family came over via L1/L2. At the end of 7 years his father's company began the ECB. His father died suddenly & in the middle of the process.

John was the only child aged out. Every1 gets to stay except him.

I have encouraged John to join VJ and field questions. I hope he does but I'm not sure if he is brave enough to face the warm reception. :whistle:

I'm not asking any1 to become obligated. My wife and I traded messages with him and a supporter. They have convinced us he fell through the cracks. The system does not accomodate his situation. (at least not that I know of). His entire immediate family is here and legal. He would return to PI alone.

OP, thanks for sharing this. Additionally I salute your astute debate skills and for not getting into a bated melee.

Just the facts.

Thanks but I admit I was not as clear as I should have been. Boiler lacked full disclosure. :blush:

Btw...your avatar is creeping me out. (which I presume is the effect you desire..so that is meant as a compliment) :hehe: but don't you go changing! You ...just be... you. :thumbs:

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.