P+J

Police Certificate

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Does the embassy in Kiev have a certain time limit for the validity of the police certificate. My fiance had gotten hers back in April (April 23rd to be exact) when the NOA2s were happening at a more rapid pace. If the interview is now potentially July or August, will she need to get a new certificate? Her police department says that it expires in three months, yet the KEV instructions on the embassy website say a police certificate is valid for one year. I am very confused about the situation and was hoping someone could shed some light on the policy for Kiev embassy. She seems convinced that she'll need to get a new one before interview, but I thought it would be smart to consult you guys here first. thanks!

1/13/12 - I-129F Petition Submitted to Dallas Lockbox

1/18/12 - Received at Vermont Service Center

1/20/12 - NOA1

1/24/12 - Touched

2/09/12 - Touched

8/02/12 - NOA2 (197 Days After Received at VSC)

8/14/12 - Received at NVC (Assigned Case Number)

8/16/12 - Departed from NVC

8/20/12 - Arrived in US Embassy Kiev

8/28/12 - Information Received from Embassy via mail

9/12/12 - Interview (Approved)

9/19/12 - Visa Received via Elin Ltd. (FedEx)

10/05/12 - POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Does the embassy in Kiev have a certain time limit for the validity of the police certificate. My fiance had gotten hers back in April (April 23rd to be exact) when the NOA2s were happening at a more rapid pace. If the interview is now potentially July or August, will she need to get a new certificate? Her police department says that it expires in three months, yet the KEV instructions on the embassy website say a police certificate is valid for one year. I am very confused about the situation and was hoping someone could shed some light on the policy for Kiev embassy. She seems convinced that she'll need to get a new one before interview, but I thought it would be smart to consult you guys here first. thanks!

If it is for the embassy than the validity is one year.

Timeline

Paul, This was one of my questions in an email I sent them "One police certificate was obtained in Belarus, almost 6 months ago. I know that they are valid for one year, but with a "recent date". Should she go get a certificate with a more recent date on it? "

This was the answer:

Dear Mr. XXX:

Thank you for your inquiry.

In response to your questions we inform you the following.

1) Unfortunately, your fiancée will not be able to complete her medical examination without KEV case number

2) The police certificate for the visa interview must be valid for one year.

3) You may put your financial document in file folder.

We hope this information will assist you. Should you have any question, please, do not hesitate to contact us via email.

Sincerely,

Public Liaison Unit

Consular Section

U.S. Embassy,

Kyiv, Ukraine

Tel.: +38/044/490-44-22

Fax: +38/044/484-42-56

Please visit our website at http://ukraine.usembassy.gov for more information about consular services

This e-mail is UNCLASSIFIED based on the definitions provided in E.O. 13526

Timeline

Paul, This was one of my questions in an email I sent them "One police certificate was obtained in Belarus, almost 6 months ago. I know that they are valid for one year, but with a "recent date". Should she go get a certificate with a more recent date on it? "

This was the answer:

Dear Mr. XXX:

Thank you for your inquiry.

In response to your questions we inform you the following.

1) Unfortunately, your fiancée will not be able to complete her medical examination without KEV case number

2) The police certificate for the visa interview must be valid for one year.

3) You may put your financial document in file folder.

We hope this information will assist you. Should you have any question, please, do not hesitate to contact us via email.

Sincerely,

Public Liaison Unit

Consular Section

U.S. Embassy,

Kyiv, Ukraine

Tel.: +38/044/490-44-22

Fax: +38/044/484-42-56

Please visit our website at http://ukraine.usembassy.gov for more information about consular services

This e-mail is UNCLASSIFIED based on the definitions provided in E.O. 13526

Okay wow. got it yes. She will need a new certificate. It expires July 23rd. They are issuing these certificates with 3 months validity. So it actually has an expiration date. She received it in March when things were moving much more quickly..We never thought we'd be interviewing much later than July...But just incase we'll have to request a new one. I know it can take a couple weeks to receive so we should start now.

Edited by Paul86

1/13/12 - I-129F Petition Submitted to Dallas Lockbox

1/18/12 - Received at Vermont Service Center

1/20/12 - NOA1

1/24/12 - Touched

2/09/12 - Touched

8/02/12 - NOA2 (197 Days After Received at VSC)

8/14/12 - Received at NVC (Assigned Case Number)

8/16/12 - Departed from NVC

8/20/12 - Arrived in US Embassy Kiev

8/28/12 - Information Received from Embassy via mail

9/12/12 - Interview (Approved)

9/19/12 - Visa Received via Elin Ltd. (FedEx)

10/05/12 - POE

Timeline

Hey Paul,

Maybe I goofed the first response-- :rofl:

If she got it April 23, 2012 it is valid for the interview purposes (visa) until April 23 2013. I would imagine people get them for many reasons and that is why it is stamped valid for 3 months. We jumped the gun a bit too and I had Alla go to Belarus and get a police certificate in June of 2011 and her interview was in January 2012. That is why I sent the email because it says on the embassy website the certificate has to have "a recent date", so I sent the email and they said it was valid for a year (June 2011 to June 20120, or that is what I took it to mean and Alla had no problem with a police certificate that was 6 months old. The police certificate she got from Kiev, we paid for it in October of 2011 while I was there, but she did not actually pick it up until the day of her medical in late December 2011, because they would not have it ready for a week and Alla lived about 150 miles from Kiev.

I had Alla print all of the emails I received from consular's section (about 8-we had several issues) and she took them with her to the interview, just in case she got a different answer than I got in the email. My suggestion would be send an email (KyivIV@state.gov)and tell them her police certificate was issued on April 23, 2012 and that it has a stamp on it that states it is only valid for 30 days, but information you have found indicates that it should be valid for her visa for a period of one year. If they email you back that it is valid until April 23, 2013, you will have your piece of mind and something in hand to prove why her police certificate is older than 3 months :)

If this does not solve it, we will go back to the drawing board, but from my experience you should be fine :thumbs::star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.