Canerican

New Embassy Rules

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

I was just checking the Montreal Embassy and seeing that it says that the US petitioner cannot accompany the applicant. I am applying for a K-1 and think this would be optimal proof of a bonafide relationship. Is this true or can my fiance come to the interview with me?

God Bless

Chris

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/about-us/security-procedures.html

Looks like you're correct. All beneficiaries need to go in alone and all others must wait outside.

Does anyone know when and why this changed?

I'm in the same boat. Really thought my fiancé could accompany me. Almost disappointing!

Stacy - NL, Canada
Tom - Houston, TX

US CONSULATE - MONTREAL (K-1)
Interview date: 07/23/2012 - APPROVED!!!!
US POE: 08/16/2012
Marriage: 09/07/2012

AOS
Package sent: 10/13/2012
NOA1: 10/19/2012
Biometrics: 11/26/2012
EAD Arrived: 12/10/2012
AP Arrived: 03/15/2013
E-Mail - 'Decision' = APPROVED: 08/06/2013 (9.5 month wait!)
Green Card in Hand: 08/14/2013

ROC

Package sent: 05/26/2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm pretty sure your fiances can join you. It's always said that "extra" relatives are not allowed. So you can't bring your Mom or Dad or whatever, but I think fiances are technically applicants.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not how I read it.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Confusing but seems like fiancé(e)s and spouses are not on the exception list. Having your fiancé(e)/spouse with you for a family visa makes sense to me... Have you tried emailing Montreal?

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe that posting has always been the case. They don't want oodles of family members//friends coming to the consulate. I'm sure a spouse/fiance would be fine.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

There is absolutely no room up there in the office area.

By the time I left from my early morning appointment it was so full people were standing and the room was literally PACKED with people.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It is this way in most countries. Partly because they are afraid of the petitioner coaching ( tug left ear for no , blick for counts and such ) Your other half can go to the site, just not enter the interview area. You can announce that they are "outside" and if the C wants a chat they will ask them up. It also makes more room inside to process people quicker.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

I have emailed the consulate but am waiting to hear back from them. It think it does make sense that the fiance(e) would be able to go in as they are not "extra" relatives, but will see what the consulate emails back.

God Bless you all

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Timeline

I have emailed the consulate but am waiting to hear back from them. It think it does make sense that the fiance(e) would be able to go in as they are not "extra" relatives, but will see what the consulate emails back.

God Bless you all

I' sure ur aware of this---but the American is not required at the interview. The interview itself is lucky to last 10 minutes, it is very quick. In other countries it may be highly beneficial for the American to attend,not the case in Canada

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think it's clear the fiance isn't required to go but some of us want to. Thanks Chris for emailing, let me know the consulate's response. I had planned to go with Jay to his interview so we could hang out in Montreal and it'd be much nicer to be able to go into the consulate with him than have to wait anxiously in the hotel. The recent consulate reviews had people who'd had their fiances/spouses with them I thought...

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

9/19/11: I-129F Sent

9/22/11: I-129F NOA1

2/8/12: I-129F RFE

3/5/12: I-129F RFE Reply Sent

(RFE details can be found here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/365210-rfe-primary-vs-secondary-evidence-feed-back-please/)

3/14/12: I-129F NOA2 (Approved!)

3/20/12: NVC Received Petition

3/29/12: Petition Left NVC

4/19/12: Consulate Received Petition

4/30/12: Packet 3 Notification Received by Petitioner in US

5/11/12: Packet 3 Received by Beneficiary in Canada

5/28/12: Packet 3 Returned via DHL

6/5/12: Packet 3 Received by Consulate, said they'd emailed Packet 4 (haven't received)

8/2/12: Consulate Interview at Montreal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Pretty sure Montreal has always said extra persons are not allowed (it said that on my Packet 4 when I got it last year) yet fiances/spouses are still often let in if they have a passport. For what it's worth, when I had my interview last August there were many couples let inside the consulate.

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

I think it's clear the fiance isn't required to go but some of us want to. Thanks Chris for emailing, let me know the consulate's response. I had planned to go with Jay to his interview so we could hang out in Montreal and it'd be much nicer to be able to go into the consulate with him than have to wait anxiously in the hotel. The recent consulate reviews had people who'd had their fiances/spouses with them I thought...

you would think many things are clear, but the same stuff gets asked a zillion times.

Timeline

There is absolutely no room up there in the office area.

By the time I left from my early morning appointment it was so full people were standing and the room was literally PACKED with people.

That's weird, because when I was there I don't remember it being very busy. The waiting area was maybe 1/4 full? Its probably really busy some days and slower the next depending on the day of the week or something like that.

But in any event, aren't USC's automatically granted access to an American consulate? I remember reading a review on here a while back where the Canadian brought her fiances mother because he was deployed overseas and wanted the support. She was allowed in with her American passport I do believe. But if you were to bring your Canadian mother, they wouldn't let her in, because she is an "extra relative" I could be wrong. In any event, I don't think the guidelines on the website apply to fiances/spouses.

Timeline

That's weird, because when I was there I don't remember it being very busy. The waiting area was maybe 1/4 full? Its probably really busy some days and slower the next depending on the day of the week or something like that.

But in any event, aren't USC's automatically granted access to an American consulate? I remember reading a review on here a while back where the Canadian brought her fiances mother because he was deployed overseas and wanted the support. She was allowed in with her American passport I do believe. But if you were to bring your Canadian mother, they wouldn't let her in, because she is an "extra relative" I could be wrong. In any event, I don't think the guidelines on the website apply to fiances/spouses.

Im pretty sure that page has been on the Mtl Website for many years.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.