gad33

Travelling With Cats

24 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A week away from our move and it looks like we have a route. Our final destination is So. California but we will be staying with friends along the way with a night in a hotel here and there. We will have 2 cats in the car with us and any tips for making the trip less stressful/more pleasant for them, and therefore us, would be great.

Also, is it correct that we don't need any paperwork to take them into the US?

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Its best to have a updated vet check up on them,just in case. I brought mine over, and they never asked, but I remember reading on a border site, that they need to be up to date on all their shots, and in good health. ask their vet to print something for you.

Jen

"Canadian in Georgia"

Timeline

From the CDC website...(http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/cats.html)

"Bringing a Cat into the United States

A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet cats into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them. However, pet cats are subject to inspection at ports of entry and may be denied entry into the United States if they have evidence of an infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans. If a cat appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian at the owner's expense might be required at the port of entry.

Cats are not required to have proof of rabies vaccination for importation into the United States. However, some states require vaccination of cats for rabies, so it is a good idea to check with state and local health authorities at your final destination.

All pet cats arriving in the state of Hawaii and the territory of Guam, even from the U.S. mainland, are subject to locally imposed quarantine requirements."

I had a check up for my cat before I left Canada and made sure she had her rabies shot. Make sure you check the laws for the state you will be living in, some require different shots and some quarantines I believe.

We had her rabies tag on her collar and kept the checkup report and rabies certificate with us up front to show the border patrol. However, they never asked to see them. Actually, we didn't have to show any of our belongings, but as we were leaving immigration/secondary inspection, a guard saw us looking at something in our car and just came to see what was up. He just asked to see what we had in the carrier. No biggie.

We put her in a carrier (I think it was a medium sized one from walmart, so not too big but not too small either). I put a fleece blanket in the bottom for her comfort. I also had a blanket over top so I could cover the front to make it a bit easier on her (make it dark for her and cozy and stuff, and so she didn't have to see all the cars go by). We had to put her in butt first as she does not like carrier at all! She also meowed most of the way and refused to eat any food or drink water.

We stopped for the night at a pet friendly hotel to let her walk around a bit. She ate and drank there. It wasn't too bad for her.

However, she did kinda freak out a couple weeks later. She was not happy in her new surroundings (I think I made a post her about that actually!). If you have an issue like that, try to confine her in a small dark space (we put her in a storage closet/laundry room in our apartment). We gave her food, water and her litter box. Took her 3 days to calm down! Now she is fine. :) Just give your kitty lots of cuddles when you get to the US!

Edited by sherrybaby

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

My cat does better if she's allowed to lay down where she wants in the car. Except bothering the driver or being near the driver's feet. She will wear her fur off of her nose if we leave her locked in her carrier too long.

I have a blanket for her to lie on that she loves and is used to and she has free access to her litter box. The litter box is important for her because she has a nervous travel tummy. She also will not eat or drink in the car so on long trips we will feed her & water her at rest stops and walk her on some grass if we see some.

Also, she has had her post since she was a kitten. This is the last thing on the truck and the first thing off the truck in all our moves. As soon as she sees her post she seems to settle.

Timeline

I had checked the CDC website but wanted real life experiences as what is on a website and what the border guards do may not be the same.

I had a check up for my cat before I left Canada and made sure she had her rabies shot. Make sure you check the laws for the state you will be living in, some require different shots and some quarantines I believe.

We had her rabies tag on her collar and kept the checkup report and rabies certificate with us up front to show the border patrol. However, they never asked to see them. Actually, we didn't have to show any of our belongings, but as we were leaving immigration/secondary inspection, a guard saw us looking at something in our car and just came to see what was up. He just asked to see what we had in the carrier. No biggie.

We put her in a carrier (I think it was a medium sized one from walmart, so not too big but not too small either). I put a fleece blanket in the bottom for her comfort. I also had a blanket over top so I could cover the front to make it a bit easier on her (make it dark for her and cozy and stuff, and so she didn't have to see all the cars go by). We had to put her in butt first as she does not like carrier at all! She also meowed most of the way and refused to eat any food or drink water.

We stopped for the night at a pet friendly hotel to let her walk around a bit. She ate and drank there. It wasn't too bad for her.

However, she did kinda freak out a couple weeks later. She was not happy in her new surroundings (I think I made a post her about that actually!). If you have an issue like that, try to confine her in a small dark space (we put her in a storage closet/laundry room in our apartment). We gave her food, water and her litter box. Took her 3 days to calm down! Now she is fine. :) Just give your kitty lots of cuddles when you get to the US!

How did you (the humans) cope with the meowing? We've bought a new carrier that will take both the cats hoping that the cat that doesn't "mind" being in the car will calm the other one. Although we are taking another carrier just in case they fight instead.

My cat does better if she's allowed to lay down where she wants in the car. Except bothering the driver or being near the driver's feet. She will wear her fur off of her nose if we leave her locked in her carrier too long.

I have a blanket for her to lie on that she loves and is used to and she has free access to her litter box. The litter box is important for her because she has a nervous travel tummy. She also will not eat or drink in the car so on long trips we will feed her & water her at rest stops and walk her on some grass if we see some.

Mu husband had suggested this but I am too nervous to let them out.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS

Timeline

From the readings on VJ, most POE officials pay little attentionto pets! When I drove to Sask From DC with my dog, neither the cdn or USA officials asked to see anything.

A few yrs back we drove from DC to Florida with our cat! We got a sedative from our vet to help calm her--which it did,lol She was very mellow for the whole 15 hr trip!!

We had a cage and put a small tray of cat litter in it--and yes did use it!! But she was sooo mellow (out of it,lol) that we took her out of the cage and she just laid on my wifes lap!!

if ur crossing the border--may not want to give them a sedative as it may appear they are not healthy,lol

Edited by Flames9_RN

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I used to travel back and forth from Michigan to North Carolina with cats. We let them just roam freely in the car with a litter box and a bowl of water. It is important that they stay cool. They generally just hung out between the driver's seat and passenger seat or in the back window. One thing is that one of my cats scratches the carpet by the back window. We stayed at Motel 6 every time, as they allow cats.

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

I drove with my cat from Ontario to So. Cal. The experience depends on the cat, and on what you're comfortable with. We were in the car for 4 and a 1/2 days, and stayed at hotels along the way. The first day I was really concerned and she was meowing a lot, so a couple of times I held her on my lap to calm her down for an hour or so (when I wasn't driving). I kept her in a carrier with a towel/blanket mostly, and eventually she got used to what was going on and slept. She did tell us when it was getting time to stop for the day though. :lol: She is generally NOT a fan of the carrier anyways and whines and meows like I'm killing her, so I had already been kinda used to her meowing in the car. lol I would usually just stick my fingers through the opening and scratch her ears and she'd calm down. I really suggest keeping them in a carrier rather than letting them loose in the car.

Bring their favourite toys or posts or blankets or whatever you can with you. Your cats will probably be irritated the first few days at their new place as they get used to their surroundings. I don't know if you have indoor/outdoor cats or just keep them indoors (I keep mine indoors), but if you let them outside, I'd wait a week before doing so. My cat also found a hidden nook in our kitchen cupboards the first day and I couldn't find her for 3 hours. Almost had a heart attack cause I thought she'd gotten out during the move. :( lol Jerk.

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I made the 3.5 day trip from WI to WA when I relocated to work, and then 2.5 yrs later the same trip in reverse. The first time I had 3 cats, the second I had my mom fly home with 1 ahead of me so I only had 2. If you have a visit to the US before POE and one cat doesn't travel well might be worth it to pay extra to bring them here ahead of you on the flight. For the cat that flew we got a sedative from the vet, cut the dose in half and it worked just fine though the TSA searched his kitty diaper and he almost got loose in the Seattle airport.

For the car trip I had each cat alone in a mid-sized carrier with a towel or blanket in the bottom. All carriers were buckled into the backseat. I had a cardboard box lined with a garbage bag and then one of those tiny little plastic litterboxes in the bottom of it and had that on the floor wedged between the back of the driver's seat and the bottom of the backseats. I didn't feed or water the cats during the driving time, and saved that for each night when I let them run loose in the hotel (I feed my cats once at night and leave it out all day so this was fairly normal for them). Everytime I stopped for food, water, or gas I let each cat out for a few minutes, one at a time, to give them the chance to use the litterbox. They were very good about getting out of the carrier, doing their business, and hopping right back in. I also pulled over if it sounded like one of them needed to use it. One of my cats loves to travel but the others don't. Still overall they settled in pretty well and it was quite decent for such a long trip with so many cats.

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

9/19/11: I-129F Sent

9/22/11: I-129F NOA1

2/8/12: I-129F RFE

3/5/12: I-129F RFE Reply Sent

(RFE details can be found here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/365210-rfe-primary-vs-secondary-evidence-feed-back-please/)

3/14/12: I-129F NOA2 (Approved!)

3/20/12: NVC Received Petition

3/29/12: Petition Left NVC

4/19/12: Consulate Received Petition

4/30/12: Packet 3 Notification Received by Petitioner in US

5/11/12: Packet 3 Received by Beneficiary in Canada

5/28/12: Packet 3 Returned via DHL

6/5/12: Packet 3 Received by Consulate, said they'd emailed Packet 4 (haven't received)

8/2/12: Consulate Interview at Montreal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had my cat with me when I moved from Toronto to New Jersey and POEd at the Peace Bridge. As Flames said, they didn't really care that I had a cat on board; didn't ask for any proof of vaccinations or any papers -- didn't care at all. However, I was by myself (My now-Husband and I were travelling together, but in separate cars. At the border they wouldn't let him stop and wait for me.) and it was mid-July and they wouldn't let me bring the cat into the building with me when I went to activate my visa.

I was worried about leaving my cat in the car because of the heat. It would have been a real problem if it had been mid-day, but it was evening so it had cooled off, so I left him in his crate and opened all the windows. I don't know what people do if they have a dog or cat in the car, in the summer, and they're alone. So, if it's going to be hot, either have someone along to stay with your cat or time it so that you're not stopping mid-day at the border.

For the ride, he was ok. Not great, but ok. Expect to stop more often than you might otherwise. Putting a blanket or towel over top of the crate to make it dark made a huge difference -- he was much happier. We stayed in a pet-friendly hotel the first night, which was fine. The second night was an unexpected stop because Hub's car broke down. All the pet-friendly hotels were sold out so we had to sneak him into another hotel. That wasn't much fun because the cat who never meows, started to meow like crazy in the middle of the night. I ended up getting up at 4:00 a.m. and continuing the journey without my husband.

You can ask your vet for sedatives, but if they're older sedatives can be dangerous. Bach Flowers, a natural remedy (kinda like Rescue Remedy) is a good way to calm them. You rub it into their ears (not into the cavity).

When you get to your destination, I've heard a good idea is to start them off in a small space (like a bedroom) for a few days until they get comfortable. Once they feel safe, you can gradually let their world get bigger. Change is very stressful for cats, so give 'em lots of TLC during the transition. It will pay off in the end.

Happy moving!

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Timeline

Oh another tip, if it's hot use the AC don't roll down the windows. All that breeziness in the back seat pisses them off. My cats also liked having some music.

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

9/19/11: I-129F Sent

9/22/11: I-129F NOA1

2/8/12: I-129F RFE

3/5/12: I-129F RFE Reply Sent

(RFE details can be found here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/365210-rfe-primary-vs-secondary-evidence-feed-back-please/)

3/14/12: I-129F NOA2 (Approved!)

3/20/12: NVC Received Petition

3/29/12: Petition Left NVC

4/19/12: Consulate Received Petition

4/30/12: Packet 3 Notification Received by Petitioner in US

5/11/12: Packet 3 Received by Beneficiary in Canada

5/28/12: Packet 3 Returned via DHL

6/5/12: Packet 3 Received by Consulate, said they'd emailed Packet 4 (haven't received)

8/2/12: Consulate Interview at Montreal

Timeline

One of my cats is a returning USC. When we moved up here, we flew, she meowed in the car to the airport, not a peep on the plane, started to meow as soon as we put her in the car to drive from the airport. She loved exploring the new place so I don't think it will be a problem moving her somewhere new. I didn't want to use sedatives on her as she is an older cat. I will ask the vet about the Bach flowers as I had heard about it for pets (never worked with me) and I am getting a letter from the vet about my other cat's medication just in case.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS

Timeline

I made sure my cat had all of her vaccinations and a vaccination record before I drove to SoCal from Vancouver. They did not look at any of her paperwork when we crossed. I offered it and they said not to worry about it. California requires you to get a rabies vaccine though, so definitely get that. (I can't remember where I read that but I'm sure I did!)

As for the travel part: it really depends on the cat! My cat is very calm and is really dependent on me for happiness (so as long as I was there she was okay). Honestly, she's a lot like a dog. We just set her in the car and drove. When we started out each day she'd meow a bit but once we got going she just sat there. She was fine just being carried to the hotel without a carrier (but I don't recommend that if you're not sure how your cat will react!) Didn't need a carrier at all (except to keep her confined during the inspection at the border).

My family has had other cats that HATE traveling. They would literally panic - panting/throwing up/diarrhea... Eventually they just accept it. It's really hard to watch though because all you want to do is comfort them :(

Best suggestion would be to get your cat and go for a car ride and see what s/he does. I believe you can get sedatives from a vet (although my Aunt, who is a vet, says never use them when you take a cat on a plane because it prevents them from regulating their body temperature correctly).

Timeline

I made sure my cat had all of her vaccinations and a vaccination record before I drove to SoCal from Vancouver. They did not look at any of her paperwork when we crossed. I offered it and they said not to worry about it. California requires you to get a rabies vaccine though, so definitely get that. (I can't remember where I read that but I'm sure I did!)

As for the travel part: it really depends on the cat! My cat is very calm and is really dependent on me for happiness (so as long as I was there she was okay). Honestly, she's a lot like a dog. We just set her in the car and drove. When we started out each day she'd meow a bit but once we got going she just sat there. She was fine just being carried to the hotel without a carrier (but I don't recommend that if you're not sure how your cat will react!) Didn't need a carrier at all (except to keep her confined during the inspection at the border).

My family has had other cats that HATE traveling. They would literally panic - panting/throwing up/diarrhea... Eventually they just accept it. It's really hard to watch though because all you want to do is comfort them :(

Best suggestion would be to get your cat and go for a car ride and see what s/he does. I believe you can get sedatives from a vet (although my Aunt, who is a vet, says never use them when you take a cat on a plane because it prevents them from regulating their body temperature correctly).

off topic a bit----but a lot of airlines will NOT take an animal that has been sedated. I know we could not when we flew our dog to Nicaragua!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.