Jen and Mikey

TN visa during k-1 process

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all.

I was just wondering if anyone has gone through this.

We just sent in our k1 application and I just got called about a job I had applied for.

I am a graphic designer so I fit under nafta and the TN visa and just wondering if it's even possible to take a job like that during this process?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I don't have personal experience with this myself but I have done a lot of reading on TN Visa and have a few friends working on one currently.

The only problem I could see you proving that the job is only temporary when you have filed a k1. But that would be up to the officer who would be reviewing your application.

I didn't really answer your question but I do have a kit a friend sent me-PM if you want me to pass it along!

Hello all.

I was just wondering if anyone has gone through this.

We just sent in our k1 application and I just got called about a job I had applied for.

I am a graphic designer so I fit under nafta and the TN visa and just wondering if it's even possible to take a job like that during this process?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

K-1

04/20/2012- I-129F Package Sent!

04/25/2012- NOA1

07/31/2012- NOA2

08/06/2012- NOA2 Hard-copy

08/08/2012- NVC Received

08/13/2012- NVC Left

08/17/2012- Consulate Received

08/17/2012- Packet 3 Received

08/20/2012- Packet 3 Sent

08/20/2012- Packet 4 Received

08/23/2012- Medical

09/04/2012- Interview---Approved smile.png

11/20/2012- POE Blue Water Bridge

11/24/2012- Wedding!!

AOS

12/24/2012- AOS Mailed

01/02/2013- NOA1,AOS, EAD/AP

01/25/2013- Biometrics

02/20/2013- EAD & AP Approved

03/04/2013- EAD & AP Combo Card Received

07/29/2013- AOS Approved

Timeline

Anyone else? (thanks again Jenna)

I got another call this morning and he has offered me the job and I don't know what to do. I told him my situation and that I've been looking into it, but I really can't find anything on this situation except for one question answer site where one lawyer said no it's not possible and directly below it another lawyer said yes it's possible.....

Oh how my head is spinning. I just don't want to jeopardize my k1.....

please if anyone has any info, phone numbers, advice or idea..... I'd really appreciate it right now

Edited by Jen and Mikey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you tried emailing the Montreal consulate? I would try them.

I honestly don't see how it is possible given that you have already expressed your immigrant intent by applying for a K1 visa and TN visa is one that comes with a non-immigrant intent. I've also always thought that you couldn't have more than 1 visa in the works.

I think it would be a lot better to turn down the job and wait until your K1 comes through and you have a work permit to consider a job. Sucks, but the reality is that you have immigrant intent and you're much better off in the long run going the K1 route if your intention is to live and work in the US long term/indefinitely and marry your fiance.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Could try this forum: http://www.canuckabroad.com/forums/canadians-in-the-usa-vf4.html

Or just call up 1 of the POE and talk with an officer, may or may not help,lol but worth a try

Edited by Flames9_RN

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Could try this forum: http://www.canuckabroad.com/forums/canadians-in-the-usa-vf4.html

Or just call up 1 of the POE and talk with an officer, may or may not help,lol but worth a try

thanks and i'm workin on the phone number now :)

Have you tried emailing the Montreal consulate? I would try them.

I honestly don't see how it is possible given that you have already expressed your immigrant intent by applying for a K1 visa and TN visa is one that comes with a non-immigrant intent. I've also always thought that you couldn't have more than 1 visa in the works.

I think it would be a lot better to turn down the job and wait until your K1 comes through and you have a work permit to consider a job. Sucks, but the reality is that you have immigrant intent and you're much better off in the long run going the K1 route if your intention is to live and work in the US long term/indefinitely and marry your fiance.

you've said what I've been thinking and knowing in the pit of my stomach.... just don't want to believe it hahaha I want my cake and I wanna eat it too ;)

Edited by Jen and Mikey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.