dwheels76

Canadian Schools for Immigrants

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Okay I have a reversal I need to find out about Canadian schools that are nice/ easy on immigrants maybe for admission.

I am the USC I am. Petitioning my husband and trying to find out any information we can about schools.

Applicant has a Geologist BA degree but wants to go into medical tech field. Anywhere in Canada he is open to.

So are there any sites he can go check out or I to get more information?

He wants to so bad make it for fall term but that's pretty fast approaching.

Any guidance would be helpful. I guess the school admission is the small part since he has to than get through the Student Visa interview so I know everything must be in order.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

How is he proposing to go to school in Canada and maintain residency in the USA?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Okay I have a reversal I need to find out about Canadian schools that are nice/ easy on immigrants maybe for admission.

I am the USC I am. Petitioning my husband and trying to find out any information we can about schools.

Applicant has a Geologist BA degree but wants to go into medical tech field. Anywhere in Canada he is open to.

So are there any sites he can go check out or I to get more information?

He wants to so bad make it for fall term but that's pretty fast approaching.

Any guidance would be helpful. I guess the school admission is the small part since he has to than get through the Student Visa interview so I know everything must be in order.

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

ROC I-751

N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Quick question, if he is being petitioned to come to the US, why does he want to go to school in Canada?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

And why Canada?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Two topics on the same issue merged and a third without answers removed ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

How is this matter relevant in a U.S. immigration forum? You are petitioning for your husband to live with you in the U.S but intend for him to go study anywhere in Canada as early as this Fall?

Canadian schools have each their own admission criteria. You will need to check those you are interested in.

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Timeline

It is unlikely he will be able to get into a Canadian School for the fall at this stage of the game. Most of the Universities send out their admission acceptances in the Spring based on admission applications submitted last fall - the good Universities, at any rate. Each University will have its own criteria so he needs to decide what he wants, where he wants to go, and then study those schools to see what their requirements are and if he can meet them. Most Universities and Colleges in Canada are immigrant friendly so that shouldn't be a problem. If you mean by immigrant friendly that they make admissions easier for immigrants, that doesn't happen. All students regardless of where they live need to meet the same admissions standards.

If his undergrad degree is in Geological Sciences he will almost definitely be required to do some prerequisite courses to ensure he has the educational requirements to qualify for any sort of a medical programme. He would need to apply, be accepted and then apply for the VIsa to attend school in Canada, just like in the US. This all takes more time than he probably has available to start in a fall term. What type of medical technology is he looking at?

He really would be better off applying to a US school. If he eventually wishes to live and work in the US, he would l have to re-qualify any of his Canadian medical training in the US which often means doing the US coursework and then writing the US exams. There are foreign trained doctors who are fully qualified in their home countries who are currently having to start all over here in the US because the US does not just 'accept' the foreign equivalent in training and qualification.

He would probably be more successful finding a US school that specializes in that sort of Tech training that he wants as he would then be licensable in the US rather than having to re-do everything again when he gets to the US. Regardless, it is not likely he will be able to find anything for which he can qualify and apply at this time of year for a September enrollment in Canada.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Goodness sorry didn't mean to start a firestorm of accusations. I was just giving a back drop of my petition. This IS NOT for my husband. I was actually asking for a family friend in Nigeria who was interested in schools in Canada.

Someone asked why Canada I don't know why he wants there. I just thought I would ask in this forum. I thought I posted General Discussions. Sorry thanks.

Edited by dwheels76

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

*** Two topics on the same issue merged and a third without answers removed ****

Sorry my button on phone was stuck and submitted multiple times.

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

No problem. Unless someone states otherwise, we generally assume when someone is posting it is in reference to their partner. It wasn't clear when you wrote that you were petitioning for your husband and looking for information about schools in Canada in the same sentence that the applicant was someone else.

The advice is still the same. It will probably be too short a time frame for him to get in this fall, but he should investigate and if necessary acquire any prerequisite subject courses over the winter and plan on applying to attend next fall. Then he would hear next Spring about any acceptances and he can start the student visa process. He will be expected to show that he can afford foreign student tuition as well as living expenses for the time it takes to complete the field of selected study

Your topic was moved because it was a Canada specific topic so placing it in the Canada forum meant that the people who were most likely to know the answer to your question would see it and respond.

Here is a link to the Canadian Immigration requirements to study in Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.asp

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

It is unlikely he will be able to get into a Canadian School for the fall at this stage of the game. Most of the Universities send out their admission acceptances in the Spring based on admission applications submitted last fall - the good Universities, at any rate. Each University will have its own criteria so he needs to decide what he wants, where he wants to go, and then study those schools to see what their requirements are and if he can meet them. Most Universities and Colleges in Canada are immigrant friendly so that shouldn't be a problem. If you mean by immigrant friendly that they make admissions easier for immigrants, that doesn't happen. All students regardless of where they live need to meet the same admissions standards.

If his undergrad degree is in Geological Sciences he will almost definitely be required to do some prerequisite courses to ensure he has the educational requirements to qualify for any sort of a medical programme. He would need to apply, be accepted and then apply for the VIsa to attend school in Canada, just like in the US. This all takes more time than he probably has available to start in a fall term. What type of medical technology is he looking at?

He really would be better off applying to a US school. If he eventually wishes to live and work in the US, he would l have to re-qualify any of his Canadian medical training in the US which often means doing the US coursework and then writing the US exams. There are foreign trained doctors who are fully qualified in their home countries who are currently having to start all over here in the US because the US does not just 'accept' the foreign equivalent in training and qualification.

He would probably be more successful finding a US school that specializes in that sort of Tech training that he wants as he would then be licensable in the US rather than having to re-do everything again when he gets to the US. Regardless, it is not likely he will be able to find anything for which he can qualify and apply at this time of year for a September enrollment in Canada.

Thank you for your in depth answer. Yes some prep and homework on his part is much needed.

I guess Google is our friend about now.

He really want to apply in US but I think US immigration scares him.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by dwheels76

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

No problem. Unless someone states otherwise, we generally assume when someone is posting it is in reference to their partner. It wasn't clear when you wrote that you were petitioning for your husband and looking for information about schools in Canada in the same sentence that the applicant was someone else.

The advice is still the same. It will probably be too short a time frame for him to get in this fall, but he should investigate and if necessary acquire any prerequisite subject courses over the winter and plan on applying to attend next fall. Then he would hear next Spring about any acceptances and he can start the student visa process. He will be expected to show that he can afford foreign student tuition as well as living expenses for the time it takes to complete the field of selected study

Your topic was moved because it was a Canada specific topic so placing it in the Canada forum meant that the people who were most likely to know the answer to your question would see it and respond.

Here is a link to the Canadian Immigration requirements to study in Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.asp

Thank you for the link. So appreciate it. Thanks everyone for your time. Now I'll go back to waiting for my NOA2. Good luck to you all in whatever stage you are in on this Visa Journey Love Boat.

ROC I-751

N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.