tamlincat

Please help, USCIS made an error and now we may suffer

13 posts in this topic

hi there,

this is long, but can you offer me help or suggestions?? cheers.......here we go: in the beginning of april we filed the i-751 for my husband's condition removal, his GC expires june 3rd. i sent 30 or so pages of evidence including our daughter's copy of birth certificate, pictures from the delivery roon, etc. on may 10 i received a single paged letter with a rejection notice saying i filed the wrong fee. I wrote a check for $675... $505 for the form fee, and $85 for my husband and $85 for our daughter... all on one check.e i called the service center asking for help as i believe i sent the correct fee, and where was all my evidence peper work that was mentioned on that single pice of paper that it was included in the envelope??? the agent said i DID send the correct fee, and one check was correct, and they must have been mistaken and they regret to tell me ALL my evidence was shredded and i would have to resend everything. i was very upset. 2 days later, all my evidence shows up in the mail, in one piece. i call again and they say again, i did send the correct amount and they made a mistake... they even had me speak to a higher level of customer service who confirmed they made an error and to resend everything. i of course wrote down everyone's names and badge numbers. the lady at the higher level of customer service actually told me to print out the directions from the internet and use an orange highlighter and highlight the directions of the form filing fee for whoever gets my package of evidence!!! aren't they supposed to know this??? anyways, this is our lives we are talking about here so i was kind and grateful and resubmitted all my paperwork, as is, with an acccompanying letter. this was may 15. now, i have not heard back from anyone, my check has not been cashed, and my husband's card expires tomorrow. i know i could have sent this out in march, but there was evidence we were waiting on that came in april, plus we were on an overseas trip visiting his family. i called the office and they said i would have to wait 30 days to find out what is going on. i am scared that their error is going to make us suffer. we have had so far a fairly smoothe and easy process since we got married and my husband got his GC in less than 6 months. now i worry that their error will cause us to be rejected. what do you think??? thank you so much for reading this story, i am grateful for your input and this website. cheers, jill

hi there,

this is long, but can you offer me help or suggestions?? cheers.......here we go: in the beginning of april we filed the i-751 for my husband's condition removal, his GC expires june 3rd. i sent 30 or so pages of evidence including our daughter's copy of birth certificate, pictures from the delivery roon, etc. on may 10 i received a single paged letter with a rejection notice saying i filed the wrong fee. I wrote a check for $675... $505 for the form fee, and $85 for my husband and $85 for our daughter... all on one check.e i called the service center asking for help as i believe i sent the correct fee, and where was all my evidence peper work that was mentioned on that single pice of paper that it was included in the envelope??? the agent said i DID send the correct fee, and one check was correct, and they must have been mistaken and they regret to tell me ALL my evidence was shredded and i would have to resend everything. i was very upset. 2 days later, all my evidence shows up in the mail, in one piece. i call again and they say again, i did send the correct amount and they made a mistake... they even had me speak to a higher level of customer service who confirmed they made an error and to resend everything. i of course wrote down everyone's names and badge numbers. the lady at the higher level of customer service actually told me to print out the directions from the internet and use an orange highlighter and highlight the directions of the form filing fee for whoever gets my package of evidence!!! aren't they supposed to know this??? anyways, this is our lives we are talking about here so i was kind and grateful and resubmitted all my paperwork, as is, with an acccompanying letter. this was may 15. now, i have not heard back from anyone, my check has not been cashed, and my husband's card expires tomorrow. i know i could have sent this out in march, but there was evidence we were waiting on that came in april, plus we were on an overseas trip visiting his family. i called the office and they said i would have to wait 30 days to find out what is going on. i am scared that their error is going to make us suffer. we have had so far a fairly smoothe and easy process since we got married and my husband got his GC in less than 6 months. now i worry that their error will cause us to be rejected. what do you think??? thank you so much for reading this story, i am grateful for your input and this website. cheers, jill

You did keep a copy of the letter when they rejected your first application, didn't you? If so, I would not worry as I would pull that out to show them it was their error. I bet you will be getting the NOA1 and GC extension letter soon. It would appear a lot of people that filed in mid-May have not seen their checks cashed. Must be a lot of people that go on vacation at the USCIS and when the Memorial Day holiday is over work will begin again. Fingers crossed that the person who processes your second application can read and understand the English language and that they understand that the fee is correct.

I would only begin to worry about the middle of June and then I would make an infoPASS appointment to ask ####### is going on here and see if you can get them to stamp your husband's passport with a temporary I-551 that expires in one year (same as the extnesion letter)

Good luck and I hope you get some results soon,

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

hi there,

This sounds like a huge hassle, but nothing you really need to be concerned about. There is a ton of documentation that you submitted the paperwork on time and have followed up appropriately. Even if they somehow mark it as you filing late, late filings can still be approved if there is a valid reason for the late filing - this is a valid reason in every sense. USCIS is unorganized and slow, but they're not going to arbitrarily deny your application for something like this - if they do, follow up the same you followed up when they rejected your application for the wrong filing fee. Just be patient and have faith that you've done all you can and it sounds like more than enough. Good luck.

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

hi there,

Why would you need to pay the $85 for you daughter? shouldnt she be a us citizen by birth? Am I misreading something here?

AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Why would you need to pay the $85 for you daughter? shouldnt she be a us citizen by birth? Am I misreading something here?

hi there... you are right, she is a citizen by birth, but she needs to be mentioned in section 5 of the i-751 form where it says to list all your children. then, in the filing fee directions it says each dependent listed in part 5 is required to submit another $85, regardless of age. i have gone through reading this so many times, now your comment makes me question if i did that right??? even though i have spoken to the uscis customer service agents numerous times. after reading it over again, i see that it says in the beginning of the directions to mention 'conditional children' in section 5... wow, i think you are right about it, i bet this is why i got rejected becuase i sent out the fee for my u.s. citizen daughter mentioned in section 5... i hope they let me fix it before it is too late!!!! i will call them on monday and get clarification. what confused me is that in section 5 it says to list ALL CHILDREN,,, thanks, i think you solved my issue, but i hope they do not start a deportation process for my husband for this error. this is a tad stressful. cheers, jill

Timeline

hi there... you are right, she is a citizen by birth, but she needs to be mentioned in section 5 of the i-751 form where it says to list all your children. then, in the filing fee directions it says each dependent listed in part 5 is required to submit another $85, regardless of age. i have gone through reading this so many times, now your comment makes me question if i did that right??? even though i have spoken to the uscis customer service agents numerous times. after reading it over again, i see that it says in the beginning of the directions to mention 'conditional children' in section 5... wow, i think you are right about it, i bet this is why i got rejected becuase i sent out the fee for my u.s. citizen daughter mentioned in section 5... i hope they let me fix it before it is too late!!!! i will call them on monday and get clarification. what confused me is that in section 5 it says to list ALL CHILDREN,,, thanks, i think you solved my issue, but i hope they do not start a deportation process for my husband for this error. this is a tad stressful. cheers, jill

Yes, my thinking is this would be why they rejected the application on grounds of incorrect payment.

Your daughter was never a conditional resident, and does not need the additional biometrics fee.

Too bad you put everything on one check. If you had written separate checks for the biometric fees, they would have been able to only reject the additional fee.

This happened to me before, I got a notice of rejection but only for the extra check. The rest of the application was accepted.

Well hopefully you will be OK since the rejection notice serves as proof that you initially sent everything on time.

Good luck! Hope you can sort everything out soon!

AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Timeline

Just wanted to clarify, you should still list your child in part 5 of the form.

But you only pay the extra bio fee for each conditional child.

When the I751 was filed. The initial fee should have been $590. $505 for the processing fee and $85 for your husband. Your daughter is already a US citizen so no biometrics fee would need to be paid for her. When I filed my I 751, I only paid $590, $505 for the processing fee and $85 for me. We have a 2 year old daughter who was born here and we did not pay for her biometrics fee. I just received my 10 year GC yesterday. You would need to contact the USCIS office for further instructions. Most likely 1) they will refund you the $85 supplemental payment that you paid, or 2) they will return the whole packet to you for re-filing. Good luck! :)

Yes, my thinking is this would be why they rejected the application on grounds of incorrect payment.

Your daughter was never a conditional resident, and does not need the additional biometrics fee.

Too bad you put everything on one check. If you had written separate checks for the biometric fees, they would have been able to only reject the additional fee.

This happened to me before, I got a notice of rejection but only for the extra check. The rest of the application was accepted.

Well hopefully you will be OK since the rejection notice serves as proof that you initially sent everything on time.

Good luck! Hope you can sort everything out soon!

THANK YOU SO MUCH, this does make sense why we got rejected, but i wish that the 4 or 5 customer service officials would have clarified it better for me. they all said the error was from their end and i did the right thing by sending one check. thank you so much, i am relieved, but i am calling them tomorrow. i think their directions should be more clear if it says to list all children in section 5 and pay the fee for all names listed in section 5. you really have been helpful and i am grateful i joined up with this site. cheers, JILL

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

THANK YOU SO MUCH, this does make sense why we got rejected, but i wish that the 4 or 5 customer service officials would have clarified it better for me. they all said the error was from their end and i did the right thing by sending one check. thank you so much, i am relieved, but i am calling them tomorrow. i think their directions should be more clear if it says to list all children in section 5 and pay the fee for all names listed in section 5. you really have been helpful and i am grateful i joined up with this site. cheers, JILL

Sorry to tell you this but in the instructions under "Who May File Form I-751?" it says:

If you have dependent children who acquired conditional resident status concurrently with you and entered the United States within 90 days of your arrival, then include the names and A-Numbers of these children in Part 5 of this form in order to have their conditional status removed.

If you had explained to customer service that your child was a US citizen then they probably would have given you more accurate information.

US citizens can not be conditional permanent residents, hence you can list all your children in Section 5 of Form I-751 (US-born and/or non US-born) but you only pay Bio fee ($85) for your or your conditional spouse's non US-born children (assuming that the children has entered to US at the same time or within 90 days of their (Non-US) parent's arrival.)

The check amount was not correct, it should be $590 ONLY !... Yes you have made a mistake & USCIS officers followed that mistake too. By doing so you gave $85-donation to Obama Administration :yes: .

"Patience is the key to the paradise (US Citizenship, in our case)"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.