sassifrass42

Is my income sufficient?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello! I am getting ready to mail all the documents my fiance needs to send to the consulate in Sydney. He is in the process of getting his medical at the moment. I recently requested a letter from my employer stating my annual salary.

The letter states that my income is 18,720 yearly. By looking at the USCIS website I know I need to make at least 18,912.

I have no children, I live on my own, I own a car and have about 900.00 in the bank. I also have my last 3 years of tax statements as well. I made a lot more in the past but I am attending college at the moment so my income has declined.

My question is...is 192.00 going to hinder our visa? I was hoping I wouldn't have to go through the hassel of having a co sponsor. Any one have a similar experience and still been okay with out a co sponsor?

I wasn't sure if I made enough that we could just get in under the radar. lol

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello! I am getting ready to mail all the documents my fiance needs to send to the consulate in Sydney. He is in the process of getting his medical at the moment. I recently requested a letter from my employer stating my annual salary.

The letter states that my income is 18,720 yearly. By looking at the USCIS website I know I need to make at least 18,912.

I have no children, I live on my own, I own a car and have about 900.00 in the bank. I also have my last 3 years of tax statements as well. I made a lot more in the past but I am attending college at the moment so my income has declined.

My question is...is 192.00 going to hinder our visa? I was hoping I wouldn't have to go through the hassel of having a co sponsor. Any one have a similar experience and still been okay with out a co sponsor?

It's a numbers game. If a person doesn't meet the minimum then a joint sponsor will be needed.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Certainly other forum members will respond with their comments.

It is not a matter of you being able to get in under the radar, it is that, as you have identified, you are under the guidelines that are used to determine your ability to sponsor and support your fiance(e) for your size of family. Perhaps others may have some creative thoughts.... Given your present situation, I would not rule out the need of a co-sponsor in your case.

Good luck on your visa journey.

YMMV.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Under the radar is under the radar. If they made an exception for you they would have to make it for everyone who was under the minimum requirements. A co sponsor will be needed. Good luck :)

Timeline
If they made an exception for you they would have to make it for everyone who was under the minimum requirements.

I was kind of afraid of that. I understand the "universal rule" approach but like I said I was just really hoping to avoid having to get a co sponsor. But I have read a few posts and it is always better to be safe than sorry with these sort of things.

Thanks for your help. I knew it wouldn't fly deep down! I guess I just needed some reafirmation. Dang.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am not sure on this, but I think they go by the total amount of assets you have, meaning your salary and the assets you have in the bank. If your salary is not enough, then you would need to make sure you have enough other assets to make up the difference. So if you are only off by 192, then (192 * 3) 576 should be all you need in the bank to qualify without a cosponsor. However if you want to play it safe, I would suggest a cosponsor.

im pretty sure you can use assets to make up that couple hundred that your offby? correct me if im wrong??

Yes, assets can be used, but the value of the assets must be 5X the difference between the income and poverty guidelines--I am looking at the instructions for the I-864 which will need to be filled sooner or later so you might as well meet those requirements now otherwise you will be in the same predicament when you have to file for AOS. For the OP who is $192 short that would be equal to $960 and the OP has $900 in the bank. So now the short fall is $60 rather than $192, but it is still short. I would 1) start looking for a co-sponsor, or 2) increase your income and/or savings (but the time for that has come and gone if the interiew is coming up).

For an assets to be considered it must be readily convertable to cash within one year without placing a hardship on the family. The value of the assets are taken at 1/5 of their actual value. A car cannot be used as an asset unless you have more than one. (this is from the I-864 instructions which are more strict than the I-134, but it will need to be completed for AOS)

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I am not sure on this, but I think they go by the total amount of assets you have, meaning your salary and the assets you have in the bank. If your salary is not enough, then you would need to make sure you have enough other assets to make up the difference. So if you are only off by 192, then (192 * 3) 576 should be all you need in the bank to qualify without a cosponsor. However if you want to play it safe, I would suggest a cosponsor.

this is not true

any assets must equal 5x the 125% income requirements.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You are right, I thought it was only 3 times the amount. Thanks for clarifying :)

When a petitioner is using assets in a spouse visa or K1 situation then 3X is the asset multiplier.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Looks like there is some confusion as to what the mutiplier is. If its only 3x then I would be fine. If it is 5x I am sure I could get a small loan from my mom to hold it over until everything is sorted. The 900 dollars I have is purely in savings. My normal account has something like 300-500 dollars in it rotating bill payments and such.

If I do choose to go at it with out a co sponsor, what would be needed from the bank to prove the assests are available? Would a current bank statement work or will I have to have a letter or something from the bank. (I currently work for the bank...I don't know if that has any backing or relevance but just thought I'd throw that out there)

This has been really good information. Thanks to you all!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

this is not true

any assets must equal 5x the 125% income requirements.

You are incorrect. When using assets for sponsoring a spouse, or fiance(e) in this case, it is only 3 times needed, not 5. Read the I-864 instructions.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Looks like there is some confusion as to what the mutiplier is. If its only 3x then I would be fine. If it is 5x I am sure I could get a small loan from my mom to hold it over until everything is sorted. The 900 dollars I have is purely in savings. My normal account has something like 300-500 dollars in it rotating bill payments and such.

If I do choose to go at it with out a co sponsor, what would be needed from the bank to prove the assests are available? Would a current bank statement work or will I have to have a letter or something from the bank. (I currently work for the bank...I don't know if that has any backing or relevance but just thought I'd throw that out there)

This has been really good information. Thanks to you all!

It is 3 times in your case. You technically have enough in your savings to make up the difference in assets, but it will be entirely up to the CO whether they approve you or not when your income is borderline. Show a bank statement that proves you have the money in your account, or get a letter from the bank stating when your account was opened and what your current balance is.

You can ask in your regional forum about how strict they are in Australia about the financials. That might help you decide if you should get a co-sponsor lined up or not.

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.