gretchen_darren

American vs Filipino

222 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

yes, a lot of my observations are in the provinces and not in the city. City life tends to be similar no matter where you go in any country. There are some city life differences, but not many. What I find interesting is the differences in the country life or the cultural differences.

Philippines is more like USA in beaches, whereas Europe is much more liberated.

what I find interesting in the philippines is the ease of getting around without a car. Even in rural areas. that is hard and difficult to do in the USA. You live out in the "boonies", doubtful if you will find a taxi.

traveling 23 miles for $2 USD. But takes nearly an hour or more. If traveling by jeepney, you can expect 3 hours.

You can buy an average new motorcycle for under 65,000 php ($1,500 USD) plus a used multicab or used jeepney for under 100,000 php ($2,300 USD).

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Timeline

ah - rice dispenser. I found one at a garage sale for 2 bucks - steam cleaned it (cause ya never know) and fiddled with the dispenser bits - it works. Best 2 bucks I've spent for April ;)

I am going to start looking for one of these.... never heard of it until now....

the only potato dispenser I heard of was called a "potato bin" usually in the basement.... you send the kids down to get potatoes when you need them....

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

I am going to start looking for one of these.... never heard of it until now....

the only potato dispenser I heard of was called a "potato bin" usually in the basement.... you send the kids down to get potatoes when you need them....

:ot: 07/04/12 :clock::ot2::lol:

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

County Fair "losers" never get eaten? :rolleyes:

BS stereotype.! :bonk: None of my family has ever eaten our "pet"! Is this is an attempt to embarass your wife? Telling all VJ that your wife's family eats their pets?

I'm surprised you act like (as an American) you never bartered before. :blink: Think a little bit and I'm sure you can recall a recent trade. :whistle:

USA bartering? I will give you an example. What do you call trading in an old car to purchase a new one?? :bonk:Here is a USA Today article for your enlightenment. Yes, it's about bartering in America.

Here's an idea for you. :idea: Might sharpen your obvious research skills. :whistle: Google "American bartering" or "USA bartering" or any version of the 2.

Everything you have posted may be the "typical" routine and "RITUAL" at your wife's area BUT, DO NOT include me (my family and ours) in ignorant BS stereotypes! :angry:

:thumbs:

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Timeline

Horses can't be slaughtered in the US. As far as the rest of the livestock, winners and losers usually get auctioned off at the end and many of those get eaten.

Edited by ☼

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Diabetes is a big killer there, and the polished rice provides no nutrition other than simple starch. You can find brown rice, but it is usually used for chicken feed. The chickens have a healthier diet than most of the folks in the Philippines. There are lots of fresh fruits and vegetable available, but the way they are often prepared removes much of the nutrition. The wife used to eat lots of sour fruits to relieve her constipation from eating all that white rice. She is especially fond of green mangoes and fish sauce, or pomeloes and cane vinegar.

This is a bit of a peeve for me so please do not take it personally. Rice is nutritious food unless you have a food snob definition of nutrition instead of the one in the dictionary. If you don't exercise and are obese then it doesn't matter so much what you ate to get that way - you are a prime candidate for all kinds of things like heart disease, (far and away the #1 killer), hypertension, and type 2 diabetes.

Almost every discussion by food health snobs removes economics from consideration, as if poor people could afford to eat the same diet as rich people. Rice scores extremely high on the calories-per-dollar scale, which is how rational people on limited budgets should be allocating their income. Otherwise they can't afford adequate clothing, housing, medicine, etc. which are equally vital to health. Sure, a healthy diet requires consideration of more than just calories per dollar spent but just go ahead and remove rice from the diet and now you have starvation as a problem instead of over-eating as a problem - which is essentially what type 2 diabetes is signalling: eating too much while sedentary.

This is a bit of a peeve for me so please do not take it personally.

I do take it personally. Polished rice = empty calories. Brown rice is full of good things. Thank the British for creating a fad that has damned generations of people to a higher incidence of diabetes, rickets, and colorectal cancer than their counterparts in the rest of the world.

High Diabetes Rates for Minorities

Identifying disparities is a first step toward understanding what causes them and what can be done to reduce them.

• Different studies found that African Americans are from 1.4 to 2.2 times more likely to have diabetes than white persons.
  • Hispanic Americans have a higher prevalence of diabetes than non-Hispanic people, with the highest rates for type 2 diabetes among Puerto Ricans and Hispanic people living in the Southwest and the lowest rate among Cubans.
  • The prevalence of diabetes among American Indians is 2.8 times the overall rate.
  • Major groups within the Asian and Pacific Islander communities (Japanese Americans, Chinese Americans, Filipino Americans, and Korean Americans) all had higher prevalences than those of whites.

http://www.ahrq.gov/research/diabdisp.htm#HighDiabetes

More Brown Rice, Less White Rice Could Reduce Diabetes Risk, Study

Edited by ☼

Timeline

BS stereotype.! :bonk: None of my family has ever eaten our "pet"! Is this is an attempt to embarass your wife? Telling all VJ that your wife's family eats their pets?

I'm surprised you act like (as an American) you never bartered before. :blink: Think a little bit and I'm sure you can recall a recent trade. :whistle:

USA bartering? I will give you an example. What do you call trading in an old car to purchase a new one?? :bonk:Here is a USA Today article for your enlightenment. Yes, it's about bartering in America.

Here's an idea for you. :idea: Might sharpen your obvious research skills. :whistle: Google "American bartering" or "USA bartering" or any version of the 2.

Everything you have posted may be the "typical" routine and "RITUAL" at your wife's area BUT, DO NOT include me (my family and ours) in ignorant BS stereotypes! :angry:

Sobra ka naman...

As for bartering, I think it's an asset to know how to bargain. I wish I had a Filipino wife when I was making all the major purchases in my life. Instead, my Caucasian ex-wife caused us to overpay on the house, swimming pool, remodeling, cars, furniture, etc. because she was too proud to negotiate. :bonk:

02-27-2013 I-129F Packet Sent
03-03-2013 I-129F Packet Delivery
03-04-2013 NOA1 (text/email)
03-08-2013 A Number Changed
03-09-2013 Received NOA1 hardcopy
06-13-2013 Approved in 99 Days!
06-15-2013 Received NOA2 hardcopy
06-28-2013 Received MNL Case Number
07-08-2013 Manila Embassy Interview scheduled
07-22-2013 SLMEC Medical Exam Day 1
07-23-2013 SLMEC Medical Exam Day 2 - Passed!
08-31-2013 Arrived in Manila
09-02-2013 CFO - PASSED
09-03-2013 Manila Embassy Interview - APPROVED
09-05-2013 Visa Issued
09-09-2013 Visa ready for pick up at SM MOA
09-18-2013 Picked up passport and got CFO sticker

09-22-2013 Departed from Manila
10-04-2013 Fiancee departs for U.S.

I do take it personally. Polished rice = empty calories. Brown rice is full of good things. Thank the British for creating a fad that has damned generations of people to a higher incidence of diabetes, rickets, and colorectal cancer than their counterparts in the rest of the world.

More Brown Rice, Less White Rice Could Reduce Diabetes Risk, Study

Not rickets - beriberi.

Edited by ☼

Not rickets - beriberi.

I think what rlogan was trying to say was the tendency of some people blaming the cause of a disease on one aspect of its real cause. Diabetes is affected by a lot of factors and it's not even just all lifestyle-related. Food is only one of the lifestyle-related factors.

So, assuming that white rice consumption = diabetes is what rlogan's pet peeve must be about. It really wasn't personally aimed at you.

But, I also agree that diabetes is fast becoming the No. 1 cause of mortalities and a leading cause of morbidities here. It used to be just cardiovascular diseases, but I'm seeing more and more diabetics in my clinic now rather than just plain old hypertensive disease.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

I think what rlogan was trying to say was the tendency of some people blaming the cause of a disease on one aspect of its real cause. Diabetes is affected by a lot of factors and it's not even just all lifestyle-related. Food is only one of the lifestyle-related factors.

So, assuming that white rice consumption = diabetes is what rlogan's pet peeve must be about. It really wasn't personally aimed at you.

But, I also agree that diabetes is fast becoming the No. 1 cause of mortalities and a leading cause of morbidities here. It used to be just cardiovascular diseases, but I'm seeing more and more diabetics in my clinic now rather than just plain old hypertensive disease.

No worries. But I am doing my part, one Pinay at a time, to help them develop a taste for brown rice.

Timeline

right, ivyanddan. Type II diabetes is the growing problem. 90% of people diagnosed with type II are overweight, so this "brown vs white rice" is a pretty marginal issue in diabetes. By the way, it's number six in the Philippines, way behind heart disease and just behind it's cousin high blood pressure.

Polished rice = empty calories.

Oh really.

Nutritional needs are categorized by calories, then by macronutrients (protein, carbohydrate, fat, and fiber) by vitamins, and by elements. Rice is mostly carbohydrate and fiber. Neither kind of rice is a significant protein or fat source, and neither has much for vitamins or elements. Fiber is more efficiently taken in through fruits and vegetables, plus they get the vitamin and minerals. White rice is easier to digest than brown. That's the point - white rice tastes better and is a quicker source of energy. Faster, easier nutrition, the mechanics of which are detailed in that article you cited.

Brown rice is full of good things. Thank the British for creating a fad that has damned generations of people to a higher incidence of diabetes, rickets, and colorectal cancer than their counterparts in the rest of the world.

Oh such melodrama. Brown rice has more fiber. But you can get fiber a lot of different ways. Obesity, alcohol, tobacco, and sedentary lifestyles have a lot more to do with current health problems than whether you eat white or brown rice.

That's why the article has to use such weak language like "could" and "might" instead of "does" and "will" reduce type II diabetes.

Timeline

Darren - I'm having some SML's with my fiancee and her friend and I called them browntail Tuna>> They laughed and said yes of course we catch and like tuna> Both girls are from poor fishing communities just like yours.. Am I missing something?? Is Greatchen a browntail Tuna? Is that what you call her? Is this an American thing or a filipina thing? Please explain as were all confused?? :bonk:

27 January 2012: Mailed I-129F

03 February 2012: NOA1( e-mail & Text)

03 February 2012: Check Cashed

NO RFE'S

22 June 2012 : NOA2 (e-mail & Text)

16 July 2012: Manila Case Number(by phone)

17 July 2012: Interview paid at BPI

19 July 2012: Set interview for Mid-Aug

23-24 July 2012: Medical St. Lukes(passed)

24 July 2012: CFO Seminar(had to go next morning for landline #)- PASSED

02 Aug 2012: Received e-mail from USEM our case is there.

15 Aug 2012: Interview at USEM - APPROVED

13 SEP 2012: POE Minneapolis, MN

27 OCT 2012: Married

19 NOV 2012: AOS package sent

05 DEC 2012: NOA's I-765, I-131, I-485

14 DEC 2012: Biometrics appointment finished(Walk-in..Was scheduled Jan 04 2013)

02 FEB 2013: I-131 and I-765 Approved

07 FEB 2013: USPS Picked up the combo-card

11 FEB 2013: Received Combo-card

21 FEB 2013: Transit Visa picked up in Chicago for Japan

Timeline

Darren - I'm having some SML's with my fiancee and her friend and I called them browntail Tuna>> They laughed and said yes of course we catch and like tuna> Both girls are from poor fishing communities just like yours.. Am I missing something?? Is Greatchen a browntail Tuna? Is that what you call her? Is this an American thing or a filipina thing? Please explain as were all confused?? :bonk:

This is a derogatory comment most Pinays and Pinoys miss. It was posted on a fb account (which shall remain nameless)... It infuriated me, and made me extremely upset.(when I read the post on FB, I was ready to "Pac-man" the guy.)

I would NEVER EVER use the term. Somehow, some people on VJ thought it was "me" saying the term because the "quote" was understood wrongly. I grew up in the deep south. I Know I may be a "little" racist (I know I have a big problem with alternative lifestyle people.), but working as a supervisor and manager, I let people decide how they want me to treat them regardless of race, color, religion, etc.

I have been trying to not post the exact quote from the person's fb account. The post on the fb account is something even my wife did not understand.

all i am going to say on the subject.....

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.