trojam227

CENTRALIZED LOCK-BOX FILING of I-601

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I haven't seen any mention of this big change that effects many members on this website as well as visitor's to the site who are seeking information, so thought I would post it myself.

Lockbox/Centralized I-601 Filing Starts June 4

Please note this is NOT about Provisional Waivers, just about lockbox filing. Thanks!

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

WASHINGTON—Beginning June 4, 2012, individuals abroad who have applied for certain visas and have been found ineligible by a U.S. Consular Officer, will be able to mail requests to waive certain grounds of inadmissibility directly to a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Lockbox facility. This change affects where individuals abroad, who have been found inadmissible for an immigrant visa or a nonimmigrant K or V visa, must send their waiver applications.

Currently, applicants experience processing times from one-month to more than a year depending on their filing location. This centralization will provide customers with faster and more efficient application processing and consistent adjudication. It is part of a broader agency effort to transition to domestic filing and adjudication; it does not reflect a change in policy or the standards by which the applications are adjudicated. Individuals filing waiver applications with a USCIS Lockbox will now be able to track the status of their case online.

The change affects filings for:

Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility

Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States After Deportation or Removal

Form I-290B, Notice of Appeal or Motion, (if filed after a denial of a Form I-601 or Form I-212).

Applicants who mail their waiver request forms should use the address provided in the revised form instructions on the USCIS website. Applicants who wish to receive an email or text message when USCIS has received their waiver request may attach Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, to their application.

During a limited six-month transition period, immigrant visa waiver applicants in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, will have the option to either mail their waiver applications to the USCIS Lockbox in the United States or file in-person at the USCIS office in Ciudad Juarez. USCIS is aware of the pending caseload for applicants in Ciudad Juarez and is taking proactive steps to work through these cases. USCIS will significantly increase the number of officers assigned to adjudicate the residual cases filed before June 4, and those filed during the interim six-month transition period. USCIS has already begun to test this process and has transferred applications from Ciudad Juarez to other USCIS offices in the United States.

This change is separate and distinct from the provisional waiver proposal published in the Federal Register on Mar. 30, 2012.

For additional information on USCIS and our programs and services, please visit www.uscis.gov. You can also follow us on Twitter (@uscis), YouTube (/uscis) and the USCIS blog, The Beacon.

Married Sept.3,2010

02/11/2011: I130 Sent

02/21/2011: NOA1

06/22/2011: NOA2

06/30/2011: NVC

07/05/2011: DS-3032 email received

07/05/2011: DS-3032 emailed

07/06/2011: AOS Bill received

07/06/2011: AOS Fee Paid

07/09/2011: I864 Sent

07/11/2011: IV Fee Bill received

08/30/2011: IV Fee Paid

09/30/2011: IV Pkg Sent

10/24/2011: RFE (we dragged our feet from here on)

(forget all this for now, let's go on holiday!)

03/13/2012: NVC CASE COMPLETE!!

04/05/2012: Received interview appt email

06/22/2012: Medical @ Knightsbridge

06/29/2012: Interview 8am-Result: Pending

??/??/????: I601 Filed at Lock-Box

Timeline

Details from the March 9, 2012 conference call. Next conference call is scheduled for tomorrow, May 31, 2012 so I will post an update shortly after.

FROM MARCH 9, 2012 CONFERENCE CALL:

The US lock box allows all I-601 consular processed waivers to be sent to and processed in the US instead of foreign consulates. This means that most consulates will still be interviewing applicants, but the applicant will no longer submit a waiver to the foreign consulate, but instead, will submit is to the US lock box where it will go to the Nebraska Service Center for adjudication.

MAJOR HIGHLIGHTS OF CONFERENCE CALL:

- Expected timeline for process implementation is late spring or early summer.

- Goal time to adjudicate I-601 is 6 months.

- Concurrent I-130 and I-601 filing will NOT happen.

SHOULD I WAIT TO FILE MY WAIVER?

USCIS can't advise. Has to be client/applicant decision.

- This is probably going to take time to work out, especially for Mexico and pending filers. USCIS did not have an immediate solution. Please discuss this with your attorney.

- Mexico filers!:

Mexico filers take up 75-79% of all yearly I-601 processing. Mexico filers will have a choice to file with lockbox or keep filing with Juarez for 6 months following the implementation of the lockbox. Mexico filers will still be able to benefit from vetting process if their case is "clearly approvable."

- Cuba filers!

Cuban applicants will probably not be able to send waivers to US lockbox due to difficulty mailing out of Cuba, but Cubans will have option to send I-601 to lockbox and also have file through Havana.

WHAT HAPPENS TO CURRENTLY PENDING FOREIGN WAIVERS?

- Comparing overseas pending waiver times to US processing times, things will be coordinated so the overseas filers do not have to wait longer. The details of this still need to be sorted out, but it sounds like overseas applicants will not get "pushed to the back of the line" which is good.Foreign filed waivers will most likely not be transferred to the NSC for processing. These waivers will continue to be processed at the consulate.

- Waiver goes from lockbox to processing center. There will be no immediate approval/referral like Mexico. All cases will be adjudicated in order of being received.

More TBD.

WHERE IS THE LOCKBOX AND HOW WILL IT WORK:

- Phoenix lockbox will receive waivers. Other lockboxes and service centers will not be receiving I-601 waivers.

- After the waivers are received in Phoenix, they will be sent to the NSC for processing.

- I-212 can sent to lockbox or still be filed with local offices.

- Team of 10 staff members to handle new procedure and send I-601 and I-212 waivers to NSC.

- G 1145 for tracking?

- lockboxsupport@dhs.gov - to ask questions/inquire about lockbox status.

- Main reasons for waiver rejections from lockbox will be lack of signatures (must be original), lack of proper fees, and missing information like last name, full complete address, and DOB. - MUST FOLLOW DIRECTIONS FOR SUBMITTING FORM WITH MOST RECENT DIRECTIONS.

WHERE WILL WAIVERS BE ADJUDICATED AND OTHER NSC DETAILS:

- Lockbox waivers will go to Nebraska Service Center for adjudication.

- Consular officers will still be advising applicant of their inadmissibilities at the applicant's visa interview and providing directions on how and where to send waivers.

- Do not file waiver BEFORE interview or the waiver will be denied. An applicant may not file waiver until given permission at the visa interview.

- DOS (people who conduct visa interview) send inadmissibility and case information via an electronic database to the NSC so the adjudicators will have the case information readily available.

- Applicants should be able to receive a tracking number/case number to track case online!

- If waiver submissions are duplicated (one foreign filed, one US filed), the duplicate waiver will be sent to NSC so one officer will adjudicate the two waivers.

- Additional evidence should be sent to the NSC, not the lockbox.

- The way concurrent I-485 + I-601 waivers are adjudicated will not change. Please follow local filing instructions.

- Adjudicators are already experienced or will be trained. Overseas adjudicators will not be brought to NSC. 14 officers will start at NSC and will add more for a total of 26 adjudicators to handle over 23,000 waivers submitted per year. Not all officers are experienced adjudicators, but will be receiving "headquarter sanctioned training." If outside support is necessary, the support team will also receive training before they start adjudicating waivers.

Tropical estimates, not official:

23000 waivers per year + 26 adjudicators = 885 waivers per adjudicator per year.

885 waivers per adjudicator in 252 business days in a year = avg 3.5 waivers per day, per adjudicator.

About 2.5 hours spent on each case.

Much better than the current 2 per day at some embassies that only have 1 adjudicator.

WHAT HAPPENS AFTER WAIVER DECISION:

- NSC will notify consulate electronically on a weekly basis, or more often, especially Mexico.

- The applicant will receive decision by mail.

- Overall time from waiver decision to applicant notification will probably be 6-10 weeks after the projected 6 month waiver processing time.

- If waiver is denied and person chooses to refile (not appeal), the applicant will not need a 2nd visa interview. The new waiver can be sent directly to the lockbox.

EXPEDITES:

- So many expedite requests. No notification will be provided if expedite request is denied, just as they do now.

- Expedite request requirements will remain the same.

- Requests must be made in writing and should be sent to lockbox.

- Cases needing immediate attention / exception to adjudicate I-601 central filing will have to be discussed with consulate interviewing officer.

PROVISIONAL WAIVER FOR 9B BAN HOLDERS:

- When/if provisional waiver process is put in place, the NSC is not sure if the 26 adjudicators will be working on those waivers or if it will be separate adjudication team. TBD. The provisional waiver process was not discussed much beyond this.

INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT FOREIGN ADJUDICATION:

- Many offices only have 1 US citizen officer adjudicator.

- There are 4 currently in Mexico because of the massive caseload.

Married Sept.3,2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I saw this link that starts on June 4th 2012. I am not sure if this is something new in the process for people that are seeking waivers.

http://islamabad.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas2.html

Also, EAbbas, I have seen your wait time and have read about your daughter. I pray that all things change for the better for you soon. This is a time when you really need to be together as a family. My heart goes out to you.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** merged two topics on the same issue and will ask Captain Ewok to Pin it *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

DETAILS FROM MAY 31, 2012 CONFERENCE CALL:

MAIN POINTS:

- FULL LOCKBOX INSTRUCTIONS WILL BE RELEASED THIS MONDAY.

- GOAL IS 3 MONTH TOTAL PROCESSING TIME once case has been received from lockbox

- THIS IS NOT THE PROVISIONAL WAIVER PROCESS. THE PROVISIONAL WAIVER DOES NOT EXIST YET.

Provisional Waiver engagement meeting will happen when all of the rules are finalized. No date has been announced for engagement or start of PW program yet.

- RESIDUAL CASE LOADS MAY START TO BE TRANSFERRED to Anaheim, CA (International Adjudication Support Branch) where 21 adjudicators may be working overtime to process non-lockbox filed cases.

Cases may also be transferred to the Miami Asylum Office or the NBSC.

The processing time for residual case loads was not announced during the 8 am call.

Which consulates and when cases will start to be transferred was also not clear from the 8 am call.

- GRACE PERIOD: Until July 3rd, consulates will allow non-Mexico filers that have a choice to file waiver through consulate or lockbox.[/b]

- I-601 DECISIONS: Will be sent electronically on a spreadsheet weekly to consulates and multiple times a week for Juarez cases.

- VISA ISSUANCE: Will depend on the case loads at the consulates.

- DO NOT FILE I-130 CONCURRENTLY WITH I-601 WAIVER: The I-130 must be processed as usual per the usual instructions and lockboxes. The I-601 will be rejected if the consulate has not found the applicant inadmissible yet.

Policy Memorandum on Filing Exceptions

WHAT LOCKBOX WILL ACCEPT:

- I-601

- I-212 (if associated with I-601)

- I-290B (if associated with I-601 and denied by NBSC)

Not required for residents of Cuba, just optional due to mail service problems.

NOTES FOR MEXICO FILERS:

- up to December 4th 2012, applicants will have a choice to file through lockbox or using current vetting program in Mexico

- May cancel waiver appointment if one is already scheduled so the applicant can file through lockbox if desired.

- Referred cases will continue to go to Anaheim CA and the Miami Asylum Office in Miami, FL - If NBSC has additional capacity, NB will take additional cases.

CONSULATE PROCESS:

DOS process will not change. Applicant must be found ineligible by DOS officer before I-601 can be filed. If no inadmissibility has been found/applicant has not interviewed, I-601 waiver cannot be filed.

LOCKBOX INFORMATION:

- most applications should be processed within 48 hours

- Use forms online because those are most recent forms

- G-1145 should be included with I-601 or I-212 and text/email updates should be provided

- Rejection reasons: incorrect fees, lack of signatures, missing required information (e.g. name, address, DOB)

- More mailing tips will be available online soon.

- Lockboxsupport@dhs.gov for problems. Please include receipt number in email.

NBSC:

- 12 adjudicators were trained and will start working immediately.

- total of 18 adjudicators will eventually work at NBSC.

- test cases and practice started in April

- 300 test cases were processed within 4 weeks of receipt. Additional 1000 practice cases were later sent to NB and are still processing.

- Follow received RFE instructions. Do not send evidence to NB if not instructed to do so.

- I-290B has to be filed with office that denied waiver.

- MTR processing time goal has always been 45 days.

EXPEDITES:

Urgent I-601 expedite may still be filed through a foreign consulate ONLY WHERE USCIS HAS AN OFFICE at the discretion of USCIS officer at consulate.

All other expedites will be filed through the lockbox.

EXAMPLE:

The consulate in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil does not have a USCIS office. Expedites from Brazil need to be filed through the lockbox.

The consulate in Lima, Peru has a USCIS office and may accept an expedite request at the officer's discretion. This is only an option for people who go to the Lima office in person.

** Please consult with an experienced attorney before moving forward with your case even if you have received immigration advice/opinion from this website. **

Married Sept.3,2010

Timeline

This is not about the provisional waiver, the provisional waiver process is not in effect yet, this one is regarding centralized lock-box filling of I-601 and I-212.

Yes, that is exactly what it says in the post.

Married Sept.3,2010

I spoke to my attorney about this and he said there is no way to know whether the processing will be faster. He did say that the US is much more strict with the waivers and that the waivers adjudicated abroad have a better approval rate. :blink:

Married March 9, 2013
NOA1 I-130 April 12, 2013

Transferred to TSC Nov 27, 2013
APPROVED March 18, 2014 FINALLY ! ! ! !! 11 MONTHS & 6 LONG DAYS FOR MY NOA2
Case shipped from TSC to NVC March 21, 2014
Rec'd NOA2 hard copy March 22, 2014
Case rec'd & Case Number assigned April 1, 2014
AMAZING !!!
PAID IV and AOS fees online April 5, 2014
Fees show paid/DS 260 avail. /DS260 submitted/AOS&IV pkg sent April 9, 2014
FEDEX delivered @ NVC April 11, 2014
Revised AOS pkg delivered April 15, 2014
AOS & IV rec'd& scanned in @ NVC April 15, 2014
Revised AOS scanned April 18, 2014
AOS checklist for income and IV pkg April 30, 2014 (checklist expected due to Lawyers mistakes)
DS260 accepted April 30, 2014
Checklist for Birth cert/police cert May 1, 2014
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

Birth cert scanned MAY 8, 2014

CASE COMPLETE JUNE 4, 2014 CC letter received via email June 11, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

Waiver finally FedEx'd to Phoenix Lockbox August 21, 2014

WAIVER APPROVED December 17, 2014

Received Instruction Letter via email December 23, 2014

Final Embassy Appointment January 5, 2015 YAY !

Visa ISSUED January 12, 2015

event.png

event.png

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

:dance: We filed for the lockbox procedure I-601 on September 19, 2012. Today, 9/27, still haven't received a receipt yet.

I have read in the past that Mexico had 90% of the I-601s, rather than 75%

I also read that they were getting answers as fast as 72 hours.

I have seen 6 months, 4 months and 3 months as 'goal' turnaround times.

I have NOT seen anyone posting who has been approved thru the lockbox system.

I would assume that the since Mexico has an option to continue filing in Mexico for 6 months, that the volume experienced at the lockbox facility will be low until after November. Hope that benefits us.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

:dance: We filed for the lockbox procedure I-601 on September 19, 2012. Today, 9/27, still haven't received a receipt yet.

I have read in the past that Mexico had 90% of the I-601s, rather than 75%

I also read that they were getting answers as fast as 72 hours.

I have seen 6 months, 4 months and 3 months as 'goal' turnaround times.

I have NOT seen anyone posting who has been approved thru the lockbox system.

I would assume that the since Mexico has an option to continue filing in Mexico for 6 months, that the volume experienced at the lockbox facility will be low until after November. Hope that benefits us.

Hey there's a spreadsheet on immigrate2US.net on who's been approved when they sent it, from what country, etc. here is the link :) :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Aklf6FkpeWogdF9hOGZUS044ZmV4SjE4NWllV3NEdlE

Hope that helps a little

April 2007- Met while I was in sophomore year in high school by his house

December 16th 2010- engaged

May 28th 2011- married in Sāo Paulo<3 <3

July 13th- Sent I-130

July 15th- I-130 received

July 18th- received NOA1

August 1st - touched

Sept....Oct..Nov...Dec...Waiting -__-

January 24th- received NOA2 via email

January 27th- recieved NOA2 hardcopy

February 1st- NVC received

February 7th- got my case number

February 7th- got the IIN number

February 10th- payed AOS fee

February 14th- AOS PAID!

February 15th- payed IV fee

February 16th- IV PAID!

February 23rd- sent AOS & IV packages to NVC

February 24th- packages delivered at NVC

February 29th- recieved checklist

March 5th- sent back checklist items

April 30th - interview

294uvu54.png

event.png

Filed: Timeline

Hey there's a spreadsheet on immigrate2US.net on who's been approved when they sent it, from what country, etc. here is the link :) :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Aklf6FkpeWogdF9hOGZUS044ZmV4SjE4NWllV3NEdlE

Hope that helps a little

Where did you find this spreadsheet? I would like to see a more updated one! Please let me know where I can find it. Thanks!

I spoke to my attorney about this and he said there is no way to know whether the processing will be faster. He did say that the US is much more strict with the waivers and that the waivers adjudicated abroad have a better approval rate. :blink:

I do not believe this is true. Some countries, such as Mexico, were known to have a high approval rate. But in doing research, I found that some countries, such as Honduras (where my husband is) and China, had very low approval rates. My husband's first waiver was filed in Honduras and denied. We have now filed with the new process. From what I have heard, the new process is supposed to be more fair and consistent so that countries have more equal approval rates.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Where did you find this spreadsheet? I would like to see a more updated one! Please let me know where I can find it. Thanks!

I do not believe this is true. Some countries, such as Mexico, were known to have a high approval rate. But in doing research, I found that some countries, such as Honduras (where my husband is) and China, had very low approval rates. My husband's first waiver was filed in Honduras and denied. We have now filed with the new process. From what I have heard, the new process is supposed to be more fair and consistent so that countries have more equal approval rates.

Here is the website :

http://immigrate2us.net/forum/showthread.php?113098-I-601-Lockbox-Information-and-Discussion-(part-3)/page26

It's on the 1st page :)

April 2007- Met while I was in sophomore year in high school by his house

December 16th 2010- engaged

May 28th 2011- married in Sāo Paulo<3 <3

July 13th- Sent I-130

July 15th- I-130 received

July 18th- received NOA1

August 1st - touched

Sept....Oct..Nov...Dec...Waiting -__-

January 24th- received NOA2 via email

January 27th- recieved NOA2 hardcopy

February 1st- NVC received

February 7th- got my case number

February 7th- got the IIN number

February 10th- payed AOS fee

February 14th- AOS PAID!

February 15th- payed IV fee

February 16th- IV PAID!

February 23rd- sent AOS & IV packages to NVC

February 24th- packages delivered at NVC

February 29th- recieved checklist

March 5th- sent back checklist items

April 30th - interview

294uvu54.png

event.png

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Bosnia-Herzegovina
Timeline

I filed the i601 along with the i212 for my husband at the Nebraska Service Center (Lockbox) back in June. My i601 has been approved in August, however the i212 is showing to be in "initial review" on the USCIS website. I've had my lawyer contact the Customer Service Center on September 18th and they sent us a response on October 3rd that the Texas Service Center requested my i212 for further review. The USCIS website has not updated to show that my case has been transferred. With the applications being processed in the US, I thought both waivers would have been reviewed and decided on by the same person. I was also under the impression that the process would be much quicker.

My question is, has anyone gotten BOTH waivers processed yet under this new filing system? If so, how did your case develop and how long did it take? It's been 4 months today since USCIS has received both of my applications and I'm becoming impatient with this whole process because they have absolutely no updates on the i 212.

Any personal experiences with the new process would be helpful to keep my sanity :)

• 4 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi, I'm waiting to hear from NVC with my case number and I know they will be sending a list requesting documents, some if the documents my laywer said they are going to be asking for are birth certificates, marriage certificate, passaport photos and a affidavit of support. Can you let me know from your experience if I should be prepared to gather any other paperwork? I'm petitioning for my husband who's in Brazil. thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.