kapay&kulit

going home..

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

A little confused on this one.. After the Beneficiary has a Green card and a Permanent legal resident in the US, why is a re entry visa or any visa required? And if the GC, lets say is good for 10 years, why cant that person be gone for more than a year???

And a passport has to still have 6 months validity to enter the Phils but not sure if thats true for the filipino/a wit a GC. Because I can nter my own country with less then 6 months validity left on my passport..

27 January 2012: Mailed I-129F

03 February 2012: NOA1( e-mail & Text)

03 February 2012: Check Cashed

NO RFE'S

22 June 2012 : NOA2 (e-mail & Text)

16 July 2012: Manila Case Number(by phone)

17 July 2012: Interview paid at BPI

19 July 2012: Set interview for Mid-Aug

23-24 July 2012: Medical St. Lukes(passed)

24 July 2012: CFO Seminar(had to go next morning for landline #)- PASSED

02 Aug 2012: Received e-mail from USEM our case is there.

15 Aug 2012: Interview at USEM - APPROVED

13 SEP 2012: POE Minneapolis, MN

27 OCT 2012: Married

19 NOV 2012: AOS package sent

05 DEC 2012: NOA's I-765, I-131, I-485

14 DEC 2012: Biometrics appointment finished(Walk-in..Was scheduled Jan 04 2013)

02 FEB 2013: I-131 and I-765 Approved

07 FEB 2013: USPS Picked up the combo-card

11 FEB 2013: Received Combo-card

21 FEB 2013: Transit Visa picked up in Chicago for Japan

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

A little confused on this one.. After the Beneficiary has a Green card and a Permanent legal resident in the US, why is a re entry visa or any visa required? And if the GC, lets say is good for 10 years, why cant that person be gone for more than a year???

And a passport has to still have 6 months validity to enter the Phils but not sure if thats true for the filipino/a wit a GC. Because I can nter my own country with less then 6 months validity left on my passport..

No visa is required for re-entry into the USA once the person has a valid green card.

I believe they consider the GC abandoned if gone for a year or more.

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Logically, if your visa had 3 days left on it, one "should" be able to return to the PI, but would not be able to travel back to the US until he/she had a new passport in hand.

Unfortunately, people interpret things differently, and the local tribal lore among some Filipinas is that one must return with at least 6 months remaining, because that is what was require in the first place to leave the PI. But as we have all learned in our own journeys, logic is NOT a prevalent trait among the people we are forced to deal with.

I was hoping someone had dealt with this recently, and could relate to his/her experience in the matter. Thanks to all!

Timeline

Logically, if your visa had 3 days left on it, one "should" be able to return to the PI, but would not be able to travel back to the US until he/she had a new passport in hand.

Unfortunately, people interpret things differently, and the local tribal lore among some Filipinas is that one must return with at least 6 months remaining, because that is what was require in the first place to leave the PI. But as we have all learned in our own journeys, logic is NOT a prevalent trait among the people we are forced to deal with.

I was hoping someone had dealt with this recently, and could relate to his/her experience in the matter. Thanks to all!

HUH? Are you referring to the K-1 visa? Its dead the second you enter the USA, it is a single entry and kaput!

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

HUH? Are you referring to the K-1 visa? Its dead the second you enter the USA, it is a single entry and kaput!

Sorry, Hank, I said VISA, meant PASSPORT. My computer does not have auto-dummy-correct installed. :)

But I have since found out that it is a International Civil Aviation Board regulation that passports must be at least 6 months valid during the travel period, so a person must have at least 6 months remaining on the current to leave the US and return to the PI.

Got this info from emailing the San Francisco Philippine Embassy.

Timeline

:lol: .... I need that feature on my computer as well!

I would bet that a person with a PI passport does not need to meet the 6 month requirement, only USC passports, for leaving the USA. Now entry is another story.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

:lol: .... I need that feature on my computer as well!

I would bet that a person with a PI passport does not need to meet the 6 month requirement, only USC passports, for leaving the USA. Now entry is another story.

Nope...

"The International Civil Aviation Board regulation requires that passports must be at least 6 months valid during the travel period."

So a person must have at least 6 months remaining on the current to leave the US and return to the PI, or any other country.

Nope...

"The International Civil Aviation Board regulation requires that passports must be at least 6 months valid during the travel period."

So a person must have at least 6 months remaining on the current to leave the US and return to the PI, or any other country.

So you're basically saying I can leave my country with exactly 6 months left on my passport. Now lets say its a two month trip, I'm now stuck there and can no longer return to the country of my citizenship because there's now only 4 months left on my passport?

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

That is my thinking also, if you are returning to your home country (issued passport) and there were less than 6 months remaining they would not force you to stay in another country illegally because your passport is under 6 months... I really don't think so.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

So you're basically saying I can leave my country with exactly 6 months left on my passport. Now lets say its a two month trip, I'm now stuck there and can no longer return to the country of my citizenship because there's now only 4 months left on my passport?

That makes no sense to me, either. I'm sure it would never happen.

Now... can the airlines refuse to issue you a ticket in the first place if the passport has less than 6 months remaining? I guess so, based on the rule I posted above. But when I have traveled in SEA before, and booked online or over the phone (I was unable to book online from Korea to PI), all they asked was if I possessed a valid passport. No one ever asked me how many months it had remaining on it. So perhaps it's a rule that is rarely held to the standard.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.