bebop + rocksteady

Montreal Embassy General Tips and Hints

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

So, reading around in the K1 Forum, I see a lot of times people get confused because the rules, regulations and requirement between different embassies. Someone will ask a question in the K1 Forum and get 10 different answers because it's a DIFFERENT answer for DIFFERENT embassies.

So I was thinking we could start a thread where we list the different hints and tips to keep an eye out for when going through the Montreal consulate. And expansion of the Embassy Info already included through VJ.

Maybe this isn't even a necessairy thread because it's all in the guides, but I for sure would like to see what everyone comes up with.

To keep it organize, if everyone would BOLDFACE their tip or hint for easy skimming. It can be anything, from hotels and restaurants, to special forms, to requirements. Anything that you'd like to pass along to the future classes of Montreal interviewees.

Here are mine:

{1.} As of Nov 1, 2006, the Montreal embassy requires that the DS-156 Non-Immigrant Visa Application be filled out online in order to create a bar code for the embassy. The link to do so is here: http://www.amcits.com/form_ds_156.asp

All visa applicants, wherever they apply, are now required to submit electronically-completed DS-156 application forms.

Hand-written forms will no longer be accepted.

If you appear for your interview with a hand-written application you will be turned away and assigned another date for your interview.

You MUST complete the electronic form on-line (all 3 pages). Print out the entire form, including the third (barcode) page, and bring it with you to the interview.

{2.} Read through the Montreal Embassy Info. All of it. Multiple times. I've read it a good 10 times and I still think everytime I look at it, I see something new:

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/inde...mp;cty=Montreal

{3.} Read through the Montreal Reviews, all of them. It'll take some time, but definitely worth it:

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/

Go forth and educate!

:star: Cass (bebop the great)

Edited by bebop + rocksteady

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Great idea! Every consulate is different and it'd be nice to have something just for Montreal.

1. When emailing always use your case # as the subject line and email in the mornings. When I do this, I receive a very prompt response(usually within 30 minutes).

2. You can use Canada Post priority courier to return your checklist as it gets received like regular mail.

Edited by mercy

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Great idea! :thumbs:

Overnight stays:

L'Hotel Centre Ville which is located across the street from the Montreal Consulate. Click here for more info

Filed: Other Timeline

No backpacks, no briefcases, no food, no drinks (even if you're diabetic or pregnant, there's vending machines inside), no electronics (includes phones, CD players, MP3s...) No big photo albums, just takea few in an envelope. Take all your stuff in a plastic grocery shopping bag, and you should be fine.

Oh, they even confiscated my lip balm, but they gave it back on my way out.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Arrive Early even if your appt. isn't till 9:30 a.m. I arrived at 7:20 and was the second in line and the first through security. Thanks to VJ tips !

Feb. 15/ 07 --- GC approved

Nov. 17/09 -- I-751 sent (Day 1)

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi everyone! I just sent my checklist back to Montreal on October 23rd, and I read about the whole issue about the DS 156 forms having to be completed electronically. I actually called Montreal and asked about it, and they confirmed that if they provided me with hard copies, complete and bring those copies. They will not turn me away and found it pretty humorous how people would think that they'd actually send them back all the way home. This new rule will apply to those who will receive their package from Montreal without the DS 156 forms included. Those people would have no choice but to complete the electronic versions.

So now we wait for the interview date....

:)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
They will not turn me away and found it pretty humorous how people would think that they'd actually send them back all the way home.

They may find it humorous but considering it's what they have posted on their website what else would they expect people to think?

google.gif

Timeline

I would bring both, even if they had sent the old forms. I absolutely do not trust anything they say on the phone. I'd rather go there with both and end up not needing it than the other way around. :yes:

Also I received packet 3 twice, and the second time had the hard copies of the form but the instructions said to use the electronic ones. From what I can remember, those who have received packet 4 lately have also received instructions to use the e-form, even if packet 3 had the old forms.

Edited by mercy

They were quite lenient when I was there last week. The woman at the counter said I was lucky that my husband was with me because we needed to get our I-864 notarized. I told her that according to the new rules, it didn't need to be notarized. She said, well, you used the old form so you have to follow the old rules. (The new forms weren't available for a couple of months during the transition.) I told her no way, we'd contacted the NVC and they'd told us to fill out the old form using the new rules. She was ok with that, but it was a nuisance having to be really firm on it.

They may find it humorous but considering it's what they have posted on their website what else would they expect people to think?

:yes: exactly!! do they think we're making this stuff up?

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.