Jdkarlson13

Petitioners past drug convictions

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi everybody,

I am currently in the process of trying to get my fiance Thao a k-1 visa from Vietnam. From what I've heard, ho chi Minh is incredibly stingy with their visas and I'm afraid that my past drug convictions will play a negative role in this process. Does anyone know whether the petitioners criminal history is a problem? I was convicted of selling psychedic mushrooms in college in 1993. I have no other convictions. I am really afraid my stupidity from 20 years ago is going to punish my fiance. Does anyone have any advice.

Btw, Im new to the forum and am willing to listen to anyone with experience especially those who have dealt with Vietnam. I have been there twice and plan to return a third time for a few weeks in the summer and again in the fall when Thao has her interview. She is very discouraged because of my past---I am willing to relocate to Vietnam until she can come---I ent understand why the US government has to be so stringent in that embassy. Is it because we lost the war there?

Anyway, thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Take some time and read through the VN regional topics... VN is a high fraud contry when it comes to visa fraud and thats why.. hasnoting to do with the war... was the drug charge a felony or midemeanor? only 1? Did you have a Dam Hoi yet?

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Take some time and read through the VN regional topics... VN is a high fraud contry when it comes to visa fraud and thats why.. hasnoting to do with the war... was the drug charge a felony or midemeanor? only 1? Did you have a Dam Hoi yet?

Hi Scott,

Yes, the mushrooms were bulk weight 110 grams which is a felony in Ohio. I have not had a dam hoi, but my fiancées planning a dinh hon. Same thing?

I'm really scared that she won't have a chance at the visa because of me....I have suffered for the last 20 years because of that damn fungus....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi Scott,

Yes, the mushrooms were bulk weight 110 grams which is a felony in Ohio. I have not had a dam hoi, but my fiancées planning a dinh hon. Same thing?

I'm really scared that she won't have a chance at the visa because of me....I have suffered for the last 20 years because of that damn fungus....

Do a lot more reading about what will take place at the interview. Your past isn't likely to matter. Your preparation for the interview will. Be lazy, no visa.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi Scott,

pretty much the same thing.... different name in different places.. as long as it wasonly 1 you are OK... the consulate may take an extra look because of it, but they are always looking for a reason to take an extra look... that fungus will follow you fo-evahhhhh :blink:

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Do a lot more reading about what will take place at the interview. Your past isn't likely to matter. Your preparation for the interview will. Be lazy, no visa.

I'm willing to do whatever studying is required. What's best to focus on? Thao and I chat twice a day everyday---so, this actually would give us something to focus on nstead of the stress of being apart and the annoyance of having to wait.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

jack

Timeline

There are very few types of convictions that would disqualify you from submitting a petition. One drug conviction would not do it. It's not even enough to trigger the IMBRA reporting requirements. However, you can expect that the consular officer will know about it, and they may bring up the subject at your fiancee's interview. Make sure she knows all the details. One of the things the consular officers in HCMC really love is when they know facts about the petitioner that the beneficiary doesn't know. They can use the beneficiary's lack of knowledge about those facts to nail her to wall. She absolutely must know you better than they do.

A Dam Hoi and Dinh Hon are basically the same thing. Dam Hoi roughly means "proposal", and generally refers to the formal process of asking her to be your wife - the procession, offering of gifts, prayers in front of the family altar, yadah yadah yadah. Dinh Hon roughly means "engagement", and is the reference usually used for the celebrations after the ceremony. Hire a professional photographer to document everything, and don't be stingy. The consular officers often ask how many people were at the party, and they will be completely unimpressed with any number less than 3 digits. It will help your case enormously if you can get a member of your family to go to Vietnam with you and represent your family at the ceremony. Parents are preferred, but a brother or sister who is married is also good. It's also considered good luck to have a happily married couple represent you.

Spend time in the Vietnam regional forum. Take your time and read as much as you can. Also, there was a time a couple of years ago when there wasn't a separate forum for Vietnam, and threads related to Vietnam went into the Asia: East and Pacific regional forum. You can use Google's advanced search to search those old threads quickly. Also, read the consulate reviews for Vietnam. The things that will sting you the worst at the consulate in HCMC are moving too fast (e.g., filing immediately after the first face-to-face meeting), not conforming to a 90 year old Vietnamese grandmother's idea of a traditional engagement (e.g., no Dam Hoi, or a quickly arranged informal Dam Hoi on the first trip to Vietnam), and being so poor you can't pay attention (joint sponsors are usually not accepted at the consulate in HCMC).

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.