Mr. Borkström

Swedish citizen moving to the NVC Stage

41 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

OK. Thank you for your attention. I have read guides over and over and I just cannot make sense of some things.

Here are some background facts. (I hope I remember to write everything down, but there's something I've forgotten, please don't hesitate to tell me.)

My wife (USC) and I married in Västerås, Sweden on June 30, 2011. We finally sent in our application for me to become a permanent resident in late November if I remember correctly. Our Priority Date at any rate is December 2, 2011. On Monday May 7, 2012, my wife got our NOA2 in the mail from the USCIS, saying that we were approved and that the CSC are forwarding our petition to the NVC. The Notice Date is May 2, 2012.

That's as far as we have gotten so far. I have started the process of obtaining the required documents. I have sent in requests for police records and military records and I expect to receive them in the mail within two weeks. I have also obtained something that in Sweden is called Personbevis, which according to the Country Reciprocity Schedule for Sweden http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9711 works fine in place of a Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate. The personbevis as well as the police and military records are in English. I also have my passport of course. The other documents listed are not applicable to my case (never changed my name, have never been married before, have thus never had a spouse who've died, and I have never committed nor been charged with any crimes).

From what I understand I will receive a package from the NVC which states exactly what documents I need to complete the visa process. So maybe I'm jumping the gun by asking this here, but what I'm wondering right now is, am I supposed to send these documents to the NVC, or do I bring them to the interview at the embassy in Stockholm?

I apologize if my questions are not necessary, it's just that I have read the guides a million times it seems, but I'm still not clear on certain things. So any help that you guys can offer me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, you rawk! :thumbs:

Marriage : June 30, 2011

I-130 Sent : November 26, 2011

I-130 NOA1 : December 2, 2011

I-130 Approved : May 2, 2012

NVC Received : May 14, 2012

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : June 1, 2012

Pay I-864 Bill : June 5, 2012

Return Completed DS-3032 : June 1, 2012

Pay IV Bill : June 7, 2012

Case Completed at NVC : July 2, 2012

Interview Date : September 28, 2012

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : October 3, 2012

US Entry : December 23, 2012

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 152 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 301 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

- - - - -

Swedish-American Midsummer

My wedding day - the best day of my life

Mr. Borkström @ Wordpress.com

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Oh and another thing. When I get my police records transcript, should I leave it un-opened in the envelope, or is it ok for me to open it?

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 152 days from your NOA1 date.

- - - - -

OK. Thank you for your attention. I have read guides over and over and I just cannot make sense of some things.

Here are some background facts. (I hope I remember to write everything down, but there's something I've forgotten, please don't hesitate to tell me.)

My wife (USC) and I married in Västerås, Sweden on June 30, 2011. We finally sent in our application for me to become a permanent resident in late November if I remember correctly. Our Priority Date at any rate is December 2, 2011. On Monday May 7, 2012, my wife got our NOA2 in the mail from the USCIS, saying that we were approved and that the CSC are forwarding our petition to the NVC. The Notice Date is May 2, 2012.

That's as far as we have gotten so far. I have started the process of obtaining the required documents. I have sent in requests for police records and military records and I expect to receive them in the mail within two weeks. I have also obtained something that in Sweden is called Personbevis, which according to the Country Reciprocity Schedule for Sweden http://travel.state....5.html?cid=9711 works fine in place of a Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate. The personbevis as well as the police and military records are in English. I also have my passport of course. The other documents listed are not applicable to my case (never changed my name, have never been married before, have thus never had a spouse who've died, and I have never committed nor been charged with any crimes).

From what I understand I will receive a package from the NVC which states exactly what documents I need to complete the visa process. So maybe I'm jumping the gun by asking this here, but what I'm wondering right now is, am I supposed to send these documents to the NVC, or do I bring them to the interview at the embassy in Stockholm?

I apologize if my questions are not necessary, it's just that I have read the guides a million times it seems, but I'm still not clear on certain things. So any help that you guys can offer me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, you rawk! :thumbs:

For IR-1/CR-1 visa applicants, the IV package (documents about the beneficiary) are sent to NVC; they're not brought to the interview. The same applies with the AOS package (documents about the petitioner). These are sent to NVC as well.

I highly suggest you look at the last two links in my signature. They'll bring you to the current NVC monthly thread and the first two posts have a plethora of links to guides and such, as well as an FAQ I created. You should find what you need there.

Oh and another thing. When I get my police records transcript, should I leave it un-opened in the envelope, or is it ok for me to open it?

If it comes in an envelope, you can open it, that should be fine. You should verify if everything is correct. The only two things you do NOT open in this process are the medical results and the sealed envelope from the consulate/embassy after a successful interview.

Timeline

Thank you Saylin.

In fact I received both my police and military records in the mail today. I have not opened the police records yet. I did open the military records envelope, and I'm glad I did because the guy had gotten my date of birth wrong, so I have to call again tomorrow and ask them to send a new, correct one.

- - - - -

Thank you Saylin.

In fact I received both my police and military records in the mail today. I have not opened the police records yet. I did open the military records envelope, and I'm glad I did because the guy had gotten my date of birth wrong, so I have to call again tomorrow and ask them to send a new, correct one.

Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get the new one.

And that's precisely why you should check those kind of documents before sending off your package to NVC. Have you checked the police records yet to make sure everything is correct?

Timeline

Nope, I will do that tomorrow though.

- - - - -

Timeline

My wife reminded me that I have changed my phone number since we sent in the I-130 in November. Do I need to notify the USCIS or NVC about this? If so, how do I do that?

- - - - -

My wife reminded me that I have changed my phone number since we sent in the I-130 in November. Do I need to notify the USCIS or NVC about this? If so, how do I do that?

Just put the new number on the forms. Updating a phone number (compared to an address) really isn't a huge deal. They don't call you or anything.

If you want, once you get a case number, you can always inform the operator of your new number. They should be able to change it that way. Otherwise, they'll see it on the forms you submit.

Timeline

Another question. I just read a thread in a different sub forum and it sort of related to me in a way.

My wife and I got married in Sweden last year. The marriage has been properly registered with Swedish authorities - I have both the marriage certificate and personbevis (see first post of this thread) to prove it is correct, legally and otherwise. My wife also has the NOA2 for the I-130, that is USCIS/CSC have acknowledged our marriage as being a real marriage, which it is for all intents and purposes.

My question is, can we have a legally binding marriage in the US too? Or a renewal of vows or something along those lines? We had a wedding here in Sweden for my friends and family, and we want to have one for my wife's family and friends too once I move over to live with her in Pittsburgh (hopefully on the same date as our "original" marriage, i.e. June 30).

Is this at all possible. Is it allowed? We have a mutual friend who has preceded ceremonies that are not legally binding... but both my wife and I don't want an "empty" ceremony that's just for show (or however I should put it); we would prefer it to be real.

- - - - -

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

married is married, once done not need repeating for any legal purpose.

However, a 'renew yer vows' ceremony can be fun, when you have family members show up.

re: your paperwork, your processing. Please to study all at

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/EZGuideSpouse

and make sure yer lass knows all of the stuff, as well.

Good Luck !!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Another question. I just read a thread in a different sub forum and it sort of related to me in a way.

My wife and I got married in Sweden last year. The marriage has been properly registered with Swedish authorities - I have both the marriage certificate and personbevis (see first post of this thread) to prove it is correct, legally and otherwise. My wife also has the NOA2 for the I-130, that is USCIS/CSC have acknowledged our marriage as being a real marriage, which it is for all intents and purposes.

My question is, can we have a legally binding marriage in the US too? Or a renewal of vows or something along those lines? We had a wedding here in Sweden for my friends and family, and we want to have one for my wife's family and friends too once I move over to live with her in Pittsburgh (hopefully on the same date as our "original" marriage, i.e. June 30).

Is this at all possible. Is it allowed? We have a mutual friend who has preceded ceremonies that are not legally binding... but both my wife and I don't want an "empty" ceremony that's just for show (or however I should put it); we would prefer it to be real.

You can't get "married" again in the US, as Darnell said, married is married. But you can have a renewal of vows in the US!

Timeline

You can't get "married" again in the US, as Darnell said, married is married. But you can have a renewal of vows in the US!

Gotcha. Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it.

I know technically and for all intents and purposes we already are married. It really is a bonafide marriage. Maybe renewal of vows is a better way of looking at what kind of ceremony we want to have in the US.

How do you do that? We didn't have a church wedding here in Sweden, we had a civil marriage at Västerås City Hall. Can we get like a Justice of the Peace to lead the ceremony?

- - - - -

Timeline

Another Swede here! A couple of miles north of Västerås:).

When I lived in the US I heard of some Swedes getting their marriage registered in the US. I don't know how they did this or what it's called, but something you can look further into.

By marriage certificate, what do you mean? All I have is the personbevis. Though I got married in a church, perhaps what you have is issued at the town hall.

I noticed your I-130 took about 5 months--did your wife use a US address on the petition?

Gotcha. Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it.

I know technically and for all intents and purposes we already are married. It really is a bonafide marriage. Maybe renewal of vows is a better way of looking at what kind of ceremony we want to have in the US.

How do you do that? We didn't have a church wedding here in Sweden, we had a civil marriage at Västerås City Hall. Can we get like a Justice of the Peace to lead the ceremony?

I'm not exactly sure how renewal of vows works. I know it can be done within a church, and you're gonna have to have someone oversee it. It might also differ by state. I honestly have no clue, sorry blush.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.