VeeNDee

Declaring engagement ring at border crossing

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone - just wanted to share a positive experience with you. We got engaged this weekend and had decided we wanted to make sure to do everything legally and to the letter to hopefully avoid any technicality problems. We decided to declare the ring at the border when I drove back to Canada even though we would have to pay duty on it, just to avoid having it seized in the future or being found to have hidden something and causing border crossing issues.

Anyway, when it was my turn at the border crossing, the agent asked the standard questions (where are you from, where were you, why were you there and for how long and if I was bringing anything back with me). I replied that I was visiting my fiance for three days and that I had the engagement ring. He asked the value and I told him - then he asked to see the receipt (I had it with me for this purpose). He disappeared for a few seconds into the booth then returned saying (while pinching his finger and thumb together closely) that I was just a teeny bit over my limit. Let's be honest- I was way over my limit! Then he vanished again and returned, holding up the engagement ring receipt. He had stamped it with the border stamp and said if I was ever asked about whether or not I had paid duty on my ring in the future to show them the stamp and I'd be fine and then he waved me through. No duty! Couldn't believe it! I am so relieved :) So glad to meet a border agent in a good mood!

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

That's awesome, thanks for sharing! And, congrats on your engagement!

10/13/11 I129-F sent to Texas Lockbox

10/14/11 I129-F received at Texas Lockbox

10/18/11 NOA1 received

02/21/12 NOA2 received

05/02/12 Medical

05/29/12 Interview in Montreal **APPROVED!**

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats! Out of curiousity where did you cross? If they're that friendly I bet that's a nice POE.

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

9/19/11: I-129F Sent

9/22/11: I-129F NOA1

2/8/12: I-129F RFE

3/5/12: I-129F RFE Reply Sent

(RFE details can be found here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/365210-rfe-primary-vs-secondary-evidence-feed-back-please/)

3/14/12: I-129F NOA2 (Approved!)

3/20/12: NVC Received Petition

3/29/12: Petition Left NVC

4/19/12: Consulate Received Petition

4/30/12: Packet 3 Notification Received by Petitioner in US

5/11/12: Packet 3 Received by Beneficiary in Canada

5/28/12: Packet 3 Returned via DHL

6/5/12: Packet 3 Received by Consulate, said they'd emailed Packet 4 (haven't received)

8/2/12: Consulate Interview at Montreal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wonderful news and congrats. E Harmony is the best! You must not have crossed at the Ambassador Bridge?

Married 10-27-2011

I-130 Sent : 11-12-2011

I-130 NOA1 : 11-22-2011

I-130 Approved : 5-25-2012

NVC Received : 6-19-2012

Received NVC Case # : 6-22-2012

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 7-9-2012

Pay I-864 Bill 7-9-2012

Receive I-864 Package : 7-10-2012

Return Completed I-864 :7-10-2012

Receive IV Bill : 7-17-2012

Pay IV Bill : 7-18-2012

Emailed DS-260: 7-22-2012

RFE: 7-30-2012

Sent RFE docs: 7-31-2012

Case Complete 8-7-2012

Interview Date: 9-24-2012

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!! YEA!!

POE:9/29/2012

as1cJWP0g410500MDAwMTQwOGx8MDAwOT dzfHNpbmNlIHdlIGdvdCBtYXJyaWVk.gif

event.png [/url][/img]

event.png

Wow, this makes me sooo jealous! I've been engaged since October and wearing a $30 fake b/c we didn't want to risk paying duty on it! Thanks so much for sharing, and congrats!

I think I'm still too chicken to try though... don't want to risk getting a grumpy officer! Plus, I'm not too far off (fingers crossed!)from being done with this process! :)

Timeline

Nice! that sounds like when David came through Truedeau Airport. They did the same thing. said congrats stamped his receipt and let him go. :)

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

Thanks for the congrats! We are super excited!! :)

I crossed at the Truck Crossing in Surrey southern BC--- but it's not always a nice POE. In the past I got rapid fire questioned by a female border officer for no apparent reason while coming home to Canada --he was still my boyfriend, I had just been there for 2 days, and I was bringing nothing back. But she wanted to know all the details of his job, my job, how we met, how often we met, what we did when I was there, where I stayed....the questions just kept on coming. I wanted to say to her "HELLO LET ME BACK INTO MY OWN COUNTRY!!!" -- not sure why she was like that. Anyway I did get back in. I'm thankful it happened on my way back home instead of going there to visit him. It seems like it is a hit and miss sort of thing, these border crossings!

By the way we are both looking forward to getting to know you through this process and have already received immeasurable help from reading these forums. :)

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wonderful news and congrats. E Harmony is the best! You must not have crossed at the Ambassador Bridge?

that's where I cross. I've never had a problem there, they've always been friendly :)

Timeline

Congratulations on the engagement - my only question is why bother, so just curious what prompted you? I would never have declared my engagement ring. Anyone could come over the border with a new ring or it could be one they've had for a while and they wouldn't have the receipt (I never had the receipt anyway), how would the border guard prove it was new since engagement rings are normal?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

I didn't even think about declaring my ring. I guess its good it never came up huh? :whistle:

Same here, did not think that it would be necessary :S.

Edited by TheFantastics09

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.