JTSG

i-864 FORM HOUSEHOLD MEMBER QUESTION

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

HI EVERYONE!:) I have a specific question: My dad is filing a I-864 as a joint sponsor and my mom is filling the I-864a as his household member. I have no income, as I am a student, and their dependent.In my I-864, do I mention them as part of my household and have them both fill out the I-864a? Or do I tally my household as just me and my husband? So confused ...don't want to make a big mistake PLEASE HELP!!!!!!:):) :bonk::crying:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hey JTSG,

Your household size should be 2 -> you and your husband. For 21a, enter your 1 husband, and 21b is automatically selected for yourself. 21c is confusing because you should enter "1" if you are married but you cant count anyone twice. Enter "0" for 21c because you already counted your husband in 21a. For 21d-g, enter "0" for each of them. For 21h, enter"2" for your household size. In my experience, it's better to try to avoid the I-864A unless you don't have a choice because with the I-864A, you need to prove household membership, and you don't need to with the I-864.

As for your dad, he should file a separate I-864. If he makes enough money according to the Poverty Guidelines by himself, then your mom doesn't need to go through the hassle of filing an I-864A.

For example, your dad's household consists of 4 people: himself, your mom, you, and your husband. As long as he makes at least $25,000 a year, then your sponsorship package only needs your I-864, and your dad's I-864.

If he makes less than $25,000 a year, then your mom will have to combine her income with his and file an I-864A.

Filed: Timeline

Hey JTSG,

Your household size should be 2 -> you and your husband. For 21a, enter your 1 husband, and 21b is automatically selected for yourself. 21c is confusing because you should enter "1" if you are married but you cant count anyone twice. Enter "0" for 21c because you already counted your husband in 21a. For 21d-g, enter "0" for each of them. For 21h, enter"2" for your household size. In my experience, it's better to try to avoid the I-864A unless you don't have a choice because with the I-864A, you need to prove household membership, and you don't need to with the I-864.

As for your dad, he should file a separate I-864. If he makes enough money according to the Poverty Guidelines by himself, then your mom doesn't need to go through the hassle of filing an I-864A.

For example, your dad's household consists of 4 people: himself, your mom, you, and your husband. As long as he makes at least $25,000 a year, then your sponsorship package only needs your I-864, and your dad's I-864.

If he makes less than $25,000 a year, then your mom will have to combine her income with his and file an I-864A.

Thanks so much for your advice!!

I'm just so lost in all this legal lingo. So basically I need to make my I-864 household 2 and my dad's 4. on my I-864 they'll basically be 0 finacial as I'm a student and make no money..right?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.