Tbakke125125

New Moscow rules?

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

In the light of recent changes, can anyone please advise me what exactly is the process of getting RU visa? LOL I never thought I would be interested in doing it, but oh well.. that's the reality. I tried to google what and how, but there is not whole ton of information I was able to dig out so far. (( So, please, how long is the process of obtaining Russian visa for US citizens? and what should be done in order to get it? If that matters, my fiancé is in Atlanta, Georgia area .. thanks for help . 

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2012-02-03
US Entry : 2012-11-01

Adjustment of Status

I-485 sent : 2012-11-14
Interview : 2013-05-21

GC received: 2013-06-13

Removing conditions

I-751 Sent: 2015-03-02

Approval: 2015-12-11

GC received: 2015-12-21

Citizenship

N-400 sent: 2016-03-21

Interview: 2016-08-08

Oath: 2016-08-17

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It is really not hard to get a Russian visa, all you have to do is go to one of the many passport/visa service websites. It takes about 3 weeks to process, and it costs about 250-300 dollars. You can rush the processing to about 5 business days for another 100 dollars I think. There is a form they will have you fill out, and you also need some form of invitation to Russia...but most visa service sites will provide the invitation for another fee. It isn't hard, but does take a bit of time to complete. I wish you luck! I am now very excited to go back to Russia...its a pleasant surprise when you plan on not seeing your fiancee but then things change, and you get to :)

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

In the light of recent changes, can anyone please advise me what exactly is the process of getting RU visa? LOL I never thought I would be interested in doing it, but oh well.. that's the reality. I tried to google what and how, but there is not whole ton of information I was able to dig out so far. (( So, please, how long is the process of obtaining Russian visa for US citizens? and what should be done in order to get it? If that matters, my fiancé is in Atlanta, Georgia area .. thanks for help . 

Just use one of the many Russian visa agencies. A bit more expensive but much easier. They basically want your money, it's not like coming to the US where they want your money and to interview you and all that. In Russia, if you pay, you get a visa, unless you have some very odd circumstances (you scammed their easy visa system, and somehow their bureaucracy worked well enough to catch you, or you're a criminal)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The "recent changes" regard the US conslate in Russia, NOT the Russian consulate or getting a Russian tourist visa

Google "Russian tourist visa"

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The "recent changes" regard the US conslate in Russia, NOT the Russian consulate or getting a Russian tourist visa

No, look back... There were changes in many US consulates as they will no longer process visa directly and instead do them through a 3rd party, which has resulted in a 30$ increase for all consulates except New York (so far). These changes occurred in April.

OP, there was a thread a few weeks back, I believe started by Novotul?

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

hahahah... thanks, I got that far! Though I was more interested in people from VJ providing their personal experiences such as waiting and potential hiccups that might or might not happen along the way. Thanks for the input anyways :D

K1 Visa

Adjustment of Status

Removing conditions

Citizenship

Timeline

thank you, eekee. I located the thread and it cleared out few of my concerns.

K1 Visa

Adjustment of Status

Removing conditions

Citizenship

Timeline

No, look back... There were changes in many US consulates as they will no longer process visa directly and instead do them through a 3rd party, which has resulted in a 30$ increase for all consulates except New York (so far). These changes occurred in April.

Are you speaking of Russian consulates IN the USA or US consulates? The discussion of this thread was about the USA consulate in Moscow.

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Are you speaking of Russian consulates IN the USA or US consulates? The discussion of this thread was about the USA consulate in Moscow.

Bringing it back to the discussion, I suspect my wife's NOA2 should arrive any time now (according to the current estimates, about a week from now) - so I'll know what's going on pretty soon.

Timeline

While this is true, it doesn't mean that the rules in the US consulates haven't recently changed, thus rendering most results in a google search for Russian tourist visa outdated. Since we have a recent thread on this very topic which answered this question, StarGirl is better served by our RUB forum resources than google.

Also I got confused because her reply was at the top of the page for me and I thought it was a new thread.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

While this is true, it doesn't mean that the rules in the US consulates haven't recently changed, thus rendering most results in a google search for Russian tourist visa outdated. Since we have a recent thread on this very topic which answered this question, StarGirl is better served by our RUB forum resources than google.

Also I got confused because her reply was at the top of the page for me and I thought it was a new thread.

Well at any rate, thanks for steering her the right way.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

this is what I got in response to my email to USA embassy in MOW:

"Dear Applicant,

Thank you for writing to the US Visa Service Desk.

We understand that you wish to know whether USA citizen will be required to attend the interview, whether your K-1 visa can be denied based solely on the fact that you can not attend the interview with your fiancée and whether your attending the interview will increase your chances of approval.

We would like to inform you that USA citizens are not required to attend the interview. It is only a recommendation.

Please note that your K-1 visa can not be denied based solely on the fact that you can not attend the interview with your fiancée.

Visa approval or denial depends only on the consular officers and on individual circumstances of each case and other special requirements."

K1 Visa

Adjustment of Status

Removing conditions

Citizenship

Timeline

this is what I got in response to my email to USA embassy in MOW:

"Dear Applicant,

Thank you for writing to the US Visa Service Desk.

We understand that you wish to know whether USA citizen will be required to attend the interview, whether your K-1 visa can be denied based solely on the fact that you can not attend the interview with your fiancée and whether your attending the interview will increase your chances of approval.

We would like to inform you that USA citizens are not required to attend the interview. It is only a recommendation.

Please note that your K-1 visa can not be denied based solely on the fact that you can not attend the interview with your fiancée.

Visa approval or denial depends only on the consular officers and on individual circumstances of each case and other special requirements."

This is what I suspected and it is how Kiev handles it.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

This is what I suspected and it is how Kiev handles it.

It sounds like it would be a mark against you, but not a strike out. That's a relief because I'm not sure I can take off from work without severe consequences.

Timeline

It sounds like it would be a mark against you, but not a strike out. That's a relief because I'm not sure I can take off from work without severe consequences.

I can say with pretty good certainty that it is not a mark against you in Kiev. I think the advantage of going was for Alla, not for the consulate. If you do it, do it for your fiancee.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.