Steve-f

Will this process ever end?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: I-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My journey through the nightmare of US immigration began in September of 2011 when my fiancee in US filed our petition. At this point our baby daughter was 6 months old. I was thinking Christmas, or February 2012 at the latest after reviewing timescales issued by USCIS. The timescales indicated 5 months. What we did not realise was that it would be 5 months before anyone at USCIS even touched our file! Thereafter a RFI followed where we had to provide photos and statements. USCIS eventual approval granted 27 March 2012. How long do we now wait to hear anything from NVC??? The notice indicated between 2 and 4 weeks, and its now almost 6 weeks. My fiancee is about to contact nvcresearch@state.gov and I hope that this is worthwhile and encouraging, not a waste of time and depressing. I find the whole process for a developed country a complete communication nightmare from the lack of comms, to the bad indication of timeframes and the apparent poor connections between USCIS and NVC. Trying to keep positive and I will keep you updated on the journey folks! My daughter is now 13 months old, thank heavens for Skype!

The worst part is definitely over. I don't know much about the K1 process for London but have you checked this thread posted by Nich-Nick, the resident London K1 expert on here: :)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/

Good luck, I am sure things will start to move much more quickly from this point.

Edited by cathy2904

01/27/2011 - Trevor's N400 submitted
02/18/2011 - Married
04/02/2011 - NOA1 hard copy received - priority date 03/30/2011
07/08/2011 - Trevor is now a USC - called USCIS to request upgrade of the petition.
08/02/2011 - NOA2
09/08/2011 - LND case number received, medical booked
09/26/2011 - Case complete at NVC
09/30/2011 - Interview date assigned
11/08/2011 - Interview - approved!!
11/10/2011 - Visa in hand
12/04/2011 - POE in Atlanta
12/12/2011 - SSN number received in mail
12/12/2011 - Welcome notice received
01/06/2012 - Green card received
09/06/2013 - File for Removal of Conditions
10/01/2013 - Biometrics for ROC
02/03/2014 - Card production email received

02/17/2014 - 2nd card production email received

02/28/2014 - 10 year Green card received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I'm sorry you're missing your daughter for so long. But you didn't search well enough how long the process would take. The USCIS step is only a part of it (their goal is 5 months, but it usually takes between 4-6 months). Then comes the NVC step (usually few weeks) and finally, the consulate step. I believe for London, it takes 1-2 months...

Have your fiancee received a letter from NVC with your case number? If not, just call them at (603) 334-0700 , press 1 for english, and then 5 to talk to an operator. Ask if they received your case and if yes, what is the case number (should be starting by LND). Also ask when it was sent to London. Have your receipt number ready (on your NOA1), they will also verify what is the beneficiary/petitioner names, etc. Your NOA2 date is more than a month old, so your case should have left NVC by now! I would even bet it's in London already. But it will still be good to know your case has done the NVC step and that you got your case number.

If your case is at your embassy, I can't help you much, but UK members can. If you know your case has left NVC, you may call the Department of State to know the last update on your case. Have your case number ready (the one starting by LND from NVC). Call 202-663-1225, press 1 and then 0 to talk to an operator. Just ask what is the last update on your case. :)

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My journey through the nightmare of US immigration began in September of 2011 when my fiancee in US filed our petition. At this point our baby daughter was 6 months old. I was thinking Christmas, or February 2012 at the latest after reviewing timescales issued by USCIS. The timescales indicated 5 months. What we did not realise was that it would be 5 months before anyone at USCIS even touched our file! Thereafter a RFI followed where we had to provide photos and statements. USCIS eventual approval granted 27 March 2012. How long do we now wait to hear anything from NVC??? The notice indicated between 2 and 4 weeks, and its now almost 6 weeks. My fiancee is about to contact nvcresearch@state.gov and I hope that this is worthwhile and encouraging, not a waste of time and depressing. I find the whole process for a developed country a complete communication nightmare from the lack of comms, to the bad indication of timeframes and the apparent poor connections between USCIS and NVC. Trying to keep positive and I will keep you updated on the journey folks! My daughter is now 13 months old, thank heavens for Skype!

Sounds like you are in normal processing times. 5 months is for petition approval, not visa issuance.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Most of the disappointment in life is caused by unrealistic expectations. After USCIS gets doen with it goes to NVC and then to the consulate and then you schedule an interview. THEN your immigration journey STARTS, it does not end until about 4 years later when you get citizenship.

Read throught the process until the end, it will prevent further disappointment.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The worst part is definitely over. I don't know much about the K1 process for London but have you checked this thread posted by Nich-Nick, the resident London K1 expert on here: :)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/

Good luck, I am sure things will start to move much more quickly from this point.

Thanks Cathy, that link was very useful thank you. Does anyone know what the daily opening hours are for contacting the NVC?

Timeline

I'm sorry you're missing your daughter for so long. But you didn't search well enough how long the process would take. The USCIS step is only a part of it (their goal is 5 months, but it usually takes between 4-6 months). Then comes the NVC step (usually few weeks) and finally, the consulate step. I believe for London, it takes 1-2 months...

Have your fiancee received a letter from NVC with your case number? If not, just call them at (603) 334-0700 , press 1 for english, and then 5 to talk to an operator. Ask if they received your case and if yes, what is the case number (should be starting by LND). Also ask when it was sent to London. Have your receipt number ready (on your NOA1), they will also verify what is the beneficiary/petitioner names, etc. Your NOA2 date is more than a month old, so your case should have left NVC by now! I would even bet it's in London already. But it will still be good to know your case has done the NVC step and that you got your case number.

If your case is at your embassy, I can't help you much, but UK members can. If you know your case has left NVC, you may call the Department of State to know the last update on your case. Have your case number ready (the one starting by LND from NVC). Call 202-663-1225, press 1 and then 0 to talk to an operator. Just ask what is the last update on your case. :)

Thanks Didopage that is useful information. My fiancee has received nothing yet from NVC despite the USCIS saying between 2 and 4 weeks. When she called NVC, the lady she spoke to gave her an email address, saying that it was a web-page with questions to answer which clearly it is not! I will e-mail nvcresearch@state.gov if other memmbers think this is worthwhile. I have all forms completed now, just need photo's taking and police report.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Read that: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/National_Visa_Center

It says email is the preferred method to contact NVC, but I prefer calling, it's faster. You have the email address on that link and NVC opening hours for calling. :)

If you call, do not read what it says on that link about leaving an automatic message, this doesn't work for K-1. Just press 1 for english, and 5 to talk to an operator as I told you. No worries if your fiancee didn't receive the NVC letter, a lot of members have said to never receive this letter, although their case has been sent to the embassy. :)

Edited by didopage

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I find the whole process for a developed country a complete communication nightmare from the lack of comms, to the bad indication of timeframes and the apparent poor connections between USCIS and NVC. Trying to keep positive and I will keep you updated on the journey folks! My daughter is now 13 months old, thank heavens for Skype!

I don't know whether this is true or not, but I heard that the process of immigration became much more complicated, difficult, and as slow as molassas in the states after the tragedy of September 11, 2001 (meaning there was outrage that the terrorists had such an easy time getting into the USA). I would imagine that budget cuts and the recession likely mean there are fewer and fewer USCIS and NVC employees to review cases. And I'm sure there are other excuses out there (for why the process takes months and months).

Hang in there...we feel your pain....you are NOT alone!

"Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength" (Isaiah 40:31)

4/27/2011 - Met online via ChristianMingle.com

6/4/2011 - Met in person (yippie ki yay!)

12/27/2011 - He proposed to me on China Beach (Vancouver Island) and was nearly swept away by a big wave!

12/30/2011 - Filed I-129

1/5/2012 - NOA1 text received

1/7/2012 - NOA1 letter received

6/15/2012 - NOA2 approval letter received

7/?/2012 - He got packets and sent them in (sorry...I didn't document the dates!)

8/16/2012 - He took his medical

8/30/2012 - Paid MRV fee - Consulate interview (Vancouver) will be on 10/1/2012

10/1/2012 - Approved for K1 Visa (after very brief interview)...HAPPY DANCE!!

10/27/2012 - POE (Port Angeles, WA)- Zipped through with ZERO problems!

10/28/2012 - Got fiance moved & U-haul unloaded...THANK YOU GOD!!

11/30/2012 - Wedding date set for Nov 30th...counting the days!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

stuff for contacting:

Dodi - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/264972-shortcuts-when-checking-for-updates-from-the-nvc-and-dos/

So, read Dodi's thread, aye? She's posted how to call, when to call.

Further down (find it, aye?) I've posted WHAT you can get, and WHEN you can get it.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Update, uddate update!!! I emailed NVC last time I posted, only to get a reply nearly 2 weeks later saying they couldn't help me. Kim (my US fiancee) emailed this week and got a reply within 48 hours! Bonus is that the reply says that my application is now with the US Embassy in London and there is even the LDN reference quoted in the email - major bonus!!! whoooooop whooooop....!!!! Got to say though that the level of communication (particularly NVC) is appaling. Really feels like you are left in limbo once USCIS done there bit. No communication at all from NVC unless you chase them is clearly not acceptable. Waiting now for communication from US Embassy - watch this space, but keeping faith....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

not gonna read the Dodi thread, or use a telephone?

OK !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Update, uddate update!!! I emailed NVC last time I posted, only to get a reply nearly 2 weeks later saying they couldn't help me. Kim (my US fiancee) emailed this week and got a reply within 48 hours! Bonus is that the reply says that my application is now with the US Embassy in London and there is even the LDN reference quoted in the email - major bonus!!! whoooooop whooooop....!!!! Got to say though that the level of communication (particularly NVC) is appaling. Really feels like you are left in limbo once USCIS done there bit. No communication at all from NVC unless you chase them is clearly not acceptable. Waiting now for communication from US Embassy - watch this space, but keeping faith....

The communication from USCIS is definitely appaling. You're definitely getting there, though! My now husband and I filed for K-1 in April last year and he didn't get here until February 9th, HOWEVER, he lived in Malaysia for a few years when he was younger and they took FOREVER to get the police certificates to him (an added 2 months). The worst should be behind you and you will be with your fiance and daughter very soon!! Then you will get to deal with all of the AOS/ EAD stuff (yay). But at least you're together when doing that paperwork!! Good luck and keep the faith!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.