Jayrowe

Obtaining a CR-1 for your spouse when they are out of status in a country other than their place of nationality

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My fiancée and I met last year at my cousin's wedding in the Dominican Republic. She is a Dominican citizen. We communicate daily via blackberry, phone, skype, etc. and I have visited her twice in the past 3 months. The problem is that she is currently living in Italy on an expired tourist visa. Her and her family were essentially deceived by a Domincan attorney about her ability to obtain a work visa in Italy. We have maintained our relationship since she has moved there and now we desire to get married. I would like to bring her to the US. I underdstand that a K-1 visa would require that she return to the Dominican Republic for the embassy interiview. She cannot return to the Domincan Republic at this point for a variety of reasons, one of them a fear for her personal safety. My question is can we get married in Italy and apply for a CR-1 visa with the interview to occur at the U.S. Embassy in Italy. I realize that her current status in Italy is most definitely a problem that will have to be addressed.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not Italy.

DR or somewhere where she has legal residency status, might need an Italian Police Report however.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Not Italy.

DR or somewhere where she has legal residency status, might need an Italian Police Report however.

The issue is she does not want to return to the DR because of a psycho stalker ex-boyfriend that threatened to kill her when me and her started seeing each other. The situation is complicated. The psycho ex has family that are police, so local law enforcement is of no value and will not do anything do protect her.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Then wherever she can obtain legal residency.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

She must get residency in whatever place she will interview. She may have to return home if only long enough to do the medical and interview. How would her ex know if she quietly goes there and interviews then leave for the US?

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

She must get residency in whatever place she will interview. She may have to return home if only long enough to do the medical and interview. How would her ex know if she quietly goes there and interviews then leave for the US?

I spoke with an immigration attorney earlier and he told there were no other options. We'll have to do it that way. Thanks for the advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.