Elisinha

Moving issue

25 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Long story short, flying with overweight luggage is FAR more expensive than shipping it. I plan on shipping about 8 boxes that are within UPS's size and weight restrictions (the boxes are around 50-60 lbs each.) I got estimates on each box (UPS has a price estimator right on their website) and they were between $70-$120.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Guys, I really appreciate you all trying to help me to figure this out. So, it should be "easy" and less expensive if I send them using my K1 visa, I mean sending them a copy o my I-94. I i do this way, I won't be charged? it will be duty free? I just wanna make sure i understood, but i should go to a Ups office this week.

My fiance just got my ticket, I will be flying West Jet, they have the first bag free and charge 20$ for the second one.

Why do did I accumulate so much stuff???/ :crying:

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Cam & Ellie

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Guys, I really appreciate you all trying to help me to figure this out. So, it should be "easy" and less expensive if I send them using my K1 visa, I mean sending them a copy o my I-94. I i do this way, I won't be charged? it will be duty free? I just wanna make sure i understood, but i should go to a Ups office this week.

My fiance just got my ticket, I will be flying West Jet, they have the first bag free and charge 20$ for the second one.

Why do did I accumulate so much stuff???/ :crying:

Thanks for sharing your experience.

And they probably have weight limits per back--otherwise people would just load them right up,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Yes, if you send them a photcopy of your I-94, which will be stapled into your passport when you POE, you will not be charged duty on your items. Check the weight limits for luggage on the west jet website. Then go to Canadian Tire and buy a fish scale for $5. They have a hook. Load up your luggage and periodically weigh it until it's 2 or so pounds under the limit. Fish scales are more accurate than regular scales- I used one to weigh my luggage and it was only 1 pound off compared to the scale at the airport.

Timeline

Also, the most effective way to pack clothing is by rolling it. When you roll clothes tightly it minimizes the amount of air in them, whereas folded clothes are much more bulky because they arent compact. If you own clothes that aren't delicate and don't need to be hung or folded, rolling is the most efficient way to pack a ton of clothes in a small space. I used elastics to hold the clothes in tight rolls but be careful that they don't leave weird white marks on them. I also shoved socks and small items inside shoes and boots.

Obviously, my luggage consisted of 99% clothing... And I still have more at home. :lol: also FYI immigration at Toronto Pearson opens at 5:30am (last time I checked) so don't get there before then, BUT if you're not arriving first thing in the morning make sure to leave plenty of time to POE since pearson in unpredictable and all.

Timeline

Porcheros, I went to a Ups office today and the guys said the only need: My passport copy + visa, my ticket copy and it was enough for me not to pay duty :blush: I am not confident about this because all of you are saying I need to send copy of my I-94 that proves my entry... anyway, i should check another office to make sure my items will be safe.

Wow, thanks for hint on the scale thing, I will get one for sure. About rolling my clothes, you are so right, i have done that before and never had problem. I am leaving in Canada all my warm Winter clothes, btw, big opportunity for donation :) .. only my books and cds are giving me a hard time :) ..

Yeah, I already told my fiance not go to the airport before I get free from POE, and I don't wanna him to be there for 2h lol..

Thanks a lot!

Cam & Ellie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Space Saver bags are really good for packing clothes in as well. I bought a set of 7 space saver bags from Walmart and I was able to pack all my clothes in a few of them. In ther 3 years of me travelling to the US I have only ever taken my small carry on suitcase with 2 weeks worth of clothes tightly packed in space saver bags.

Timeline

Elsinha: it seems like some shipping companies say you don't need the I-94 but it's an error on their part. I'm on my phone right now but later I can link you a thread where someone was told the same thing and later they found out they needed the I-94. The visa alone is not proof you've entered the USA. You can always pay for the postage ahead of time and ask them to hold on to your boxes until you fax them a copy of your I-94. Customs will do whatever they want so I say better safe than sorry. By the way I'd keep a couple photocopies of your I-94 around anyways since it's an important document (proof of your legal status in the USA combined with your visa and marriage certificate.)

Timeline

Thanks, Pocheros yeah I really don't feel safe sending my stuff from through that Ups office. Argh!!

I bought the fish scale today :) .. My small luggage has A LOT of room. I will keep tracking.

I will wait for the thread, but no rush.

Thanks

Cam & Ellie

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have the same problem! I have a TON of books... I wish I could bring them all with me :( Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be selling most of them and giving others away :'( I'm only going to bring the ones I haven't read yet... still about a dozen or so, plus my must have favourites.

This thread reminded me that space bags existed. Going to Wal-Mart this weekend to grab a couple boxes! I'll also be moving my things slowly. My husband and I will be moving around the U.S., so I'll unfortunately need to bring my winter stuff. I've pretty much decided to just pay the extra baggage fees. I usually fly first class (a perk through my mom's work, thankfully) so my first bag is free. Maybe even my second, I can't remember. So much to figure out!

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.